What's new

Karve Diem

Will you be ordering a SS Karve?

• Yes

• No

• Later when the price drops

• I’m so torn...

Results are only viewable after voting.
I have been experimenting with my Karve CB and in general, I think the relatively straight blade (at least compared to my Fatips) seems to encourage irritation and the odd ingrown hair. Something that never happens when I shave exclusively with the Fatips (even they are quite a bit more aggressive than even the D plate). Beyond that, I keep nicking myself with the exposed blade tabs on the side of my neck when I shave under and along my chin. I will therefore be unloading this razor very soon. It shaves great in large, even areas like my cheeks, upper lip and lower lip, but struggles to deal with the curved areas of my face like the jowl and neck.

I’ve been shaving with the Karve since April and have had no trouble or cuts with the blade tabs at all even in tighter spaces.

The Fatips are nice razors. I’ve owned all of them and currently still use the Testina Gentile if I want a quick shave and not break the razor down for cleaning. The Gentile shaves are great and smooth. Not quite up to the Karve C or D in closeness or smoothness for me but still very nice.

One can always sign up at West Coast Shaving (WCS) for restock emails on the Karve. $15 cheaper delivered as well.

I’ve used every high end razor except the BBS-1 and the new Raw RS-10 and the Karve C-E is still the finest I’ve ever used with a build quality that equals its Alberta made Wolfman cousin.

Been really loving this razor. Today I experienced something unexpected and unlocked for, a super close, really comfortable shave, with plate A and only 2 passes! Never happened before and never with a Slim at a lower setting, either. Very happy but now I am wondering how it happened!

- Karve Diem, M. BOSC

Been really loving this razor. Today I experienced something unexpected and unlocked for, a super close, really comfortable shave, with plate A and only 2 passes! Never happened before and never with a Slim at a lower setting, either. Very happy but now I am wondering how it happened!

- Karve Diem, M. BOSC

I'm not surprised. I've been using my "B" plate regularly and one to two passes is what it takes for me to achieve a DFS using a Feather blade. I tried setting my fatboy to a similar blade gap and didn't get anywhere near the shave I got with my Karve. With my fatboy I find a mild blade and a high setting works best, with the Karve a sharp blade and the "B" or "C" plates is great. I've yet to try my "D" which I think I will use with something like an Israeli Red or Blue.

I had my first shave with the C plate today. My prior shaves were using the B plate. The C plate increased efficiency slightly (less cleanup and better closeness along the jawline and under the chin). The comfort was just as smooth and effortless as the B plate. I will get a couple more C plate shaves in and then move to the D plate. The C plate had good efficiency, but the Karve was still not quite as efficient as my RR Gamechanger 84. I will keep everyone posted!

Yesterday the Gamechanger, today the Karve with the D plate. And yes, another exceptionally good shave that was close, smooth and very comfortable. Though I prefer the E & F plates on the Karve, if I’m not in the hunt for a BBS finish the D fits the bill nicely. Light blade feel yet still good efficiency with just enough audible feedback to let one know that it’s taking care of business. Just an absolute joy of a razor to use for whatever shave situation may arise. As a shaving system razor with multiple plates, it only really has one competitor, the Rockwell 6s/6c. And in my humble opinion, it beats it any day of the week and twice on Sunday. Superbly engineered and manufactured for not much $$$. A steal if you ask me....

ED7FEE5B-3F51-479F-8E42-689836492790.jpeg

I,ve neglected the Karve in recent weeks focusing on other razors i decided to try out.

But i reached for the Karve this morning with my first use of the E plate and a fresh yellow sharp edge and wow!, super efficent. I think i might also prefer it to the D plate but more testing is required.

Been using my 3.5” D plate exclusively for the last several months and getting wonderful shaves with it. Just for giggles I shaved with my ATT Calypso R1 and loved the light weight nimble razor shave perhaps a little more. Now if the Karve were made of T6 aluminum I would be the happiest kid on my block.

Just found out about this razor. Finally a modern DE that makes me curious. I'd love to see it with barber pole knurling.

I own a bunch of razors and the handle pattern on the Karve is one of the absolute best. Perfect amount of grip without being overly aggressive and looks much more intricate and “special” in person than in pictures. The razor is amazing as well:)

Karve shaving announced on FB today that on Sunday, a 3.25" handle will be available! A small number available right now (or then!) but this will now be an option.

I asked Chris right away during that interview elsewhere for a 3.25 handle. Enough guys wanted it. Can’t wait. They look great. Perfect size for the Karve CB.

3.25’ makes the perfect DE even better if that’s possible. Chris realized it during the AMA.

I always felt the 3’ was a tad short and the 3.5’ a bit too long (including the 4’) and I have larger hands. 3.25 really hits the sweet spot.

Last edited:
3.25’ makes the perfect DE even better if that’s possible. Chris realized it during the AMA.

I always felt the 3’ was a tad short and the 3.5’ a bit too long (including the 4’) and I have larger hands. 3.25 really hits the sweet spot.

Hopefully the stainless steel version will follow soon.
A polished stainless steel CB with a 3.25” handle would probably be my preferred option.

LOL. Again, love the razor, but don't hold your breath on SS. He can't keep up with brass at the moment. Stainless is harder to machine. He's going to have to stop making brass to start stainless. He's going to have to stop taking orders and get caught up. He'll probably be taking pre-orders on stainless. If he was smart he'd just take a deposit vs. full price and he's already proven he'll get behind. That way people won't be 16 kinds of mad when their razor is 2 months late. Needless to say he's not caught up so it will probably be a while...

3.25’ handle will be an option on every version (stainless, titanium) going forward.

Stainless matte will be bead blasted. Stainless polished...outside of top cap, top of baseplate & handle will be polished. Rest matte.

LOL. Again, love the razor, but don't hold your breath on SS. He can't keep up with brass at the moment. Stainless is harder to machine. He's going to have to stop making brass to start stainless. He's going to have to stop taking orders and get caught up. He'll probably be taking pre-orders on stainless. If he was smart he'd just take a deposit vs. full price and he's already proven he'll get behind. That way people won't be 16 kinds of mad when their razor is 2 months late. Needless to say he's not caught up so it will probably be a while...

Unfortunately you’re probably right, I know....
He’ll be limited by machine availability/ time, so it will be quite a while before new SS razors (in matte and polish, with all four handle options, etc) become available....

After reading the AMA with Chris, I pulled out my pre-War Tech for the last few shaves and remembered why I loved this razor. Soon, I'll break out the CB again and compare for myself!

Top Bottom