Karve Diem

Will you be ordering a SS Karve?

• Yes

• No

• Later when the price drops

• I’m so torn...

Results are only viewable after voting.
Hi folks,

I have owned the brass Karve for a couple of years and have the B, C and D safety bar, and the C plate open comb.

For me, the OC beats the SB hands down. Closer, smoother shave with less irritation and leaves a very clean smooth skin feel.
Quite often with the SB plates, the shave is not that comfortable and the skin feel after is nowhere near as smooth and stubble free.

Have you guys found the OC plates better in the Karve?

Thanks!

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk

In my opinion, given the same head design (= same gap and exposure), there’s no rational reason to pick a SB over an OC.... the safety bar creates inefficiency, removes the lather from your face prior to the cutting action, and unnecessarily forces a tension on the skin.

I don’t own a Karve but I own Fatips in both SB and OC and have owned ATT M1 in both SB and OC and always found the OC to be the better performer.

I believe the Karve razors are just bead-blasted, so should be OK. Any kind of coating would be at risk in an ultrasonic, and if any part of the razor actually contacts a hard surface inside the cleaner could end up with a shiny spot, but otherwise shouldn't be affected.

I am guessing you use water with soap....or any other chemical solutions?

Ultrasonic will clean it nicely if you don't like the color, then polish w Fliz

Good for you. Please let us know how these plates work out for you.

Had a few shaves now with the B, C, D plates.

The method I've been shaving with them is as follows:

I use plate B on my first pass, C on my second and D on my third.
This method of going from mild to most aggressive works excellent for me and is typically a method I use on my other adjustable razors.
I figure that on my last pass the hair is at it’s shortest and it will be easier to pick up with a bigger blade gap and for me this method works excellently.

Things I noticed with the open comb over the safety bar plates:

1: As expected you can feel more blade, but not in an uncomfortable way.

2: The soap flows through the combs, meaning that you have some soap left on that part of your face to go back over with more glide, whereas a safety bar would remove more soap due to it been solid.

3: I found it more efficient and I had a closer shave, and also I found it easier to get those whiskers that usually take a bit of getting off.

All in all I'm super impressed with the open combs, and with going with the B, C, D plates I have something that is as smooth and mild as an R89 (B plate) and then with the C is the perfect middle ground for me between smooth/mild and efficient. And lastly the D plate does have some efficiency with it, but still remains a smooth and comfortable shave.

This method of going from mild to most aggressive works excellent for me and is typically a method I use on my other adjustable razors.
I figure that on my last pass the hair is at it’s shortest and it will be easier to pick up with a bigger blade gap and for me this method works excellently.

2: The soap flows through the combs, meaning that you have some soap left on that part of your face to go back over with more glide, whereas a safety bar would remove more soap due to it been solid.

3: I found it more efficient and I had a closer shave, and also I found it easier to get those whiskers that usually take a bit of getting off.

All in all I'm super impressed with the open combs, and with going with the B, C, D plates I have something that is as smooth and mild as an R89 (B plate) and then with the C is the perfect middle ground for me between smooth/mild and efficient. And lastly the D plate does have some efficiency with it, but still remains a smooth and comfortable shave.

Like you I tend to use different razors for different passes, but my strategy is somewhat different. I start with an open comb like the Karve C plate for my first pass using a moderately sharp blade like Gillette Silver Blue. I might use a similarly aggressive Karve D plate SB razor for my 2nd pass. I often use a Parker semi-slant on my ATG pass using an even sharper blade like the Personna Israeli Red or Dorco Prime Platinum. Then for my clean-up pass I use a very mild VDH TTO razor with a super sharp blade like a BIC Chrome Platinum or Nacet. The mild razor allows me to do buffing strokes until I get the stubble as close as I would like without irritation.

I have a Brass Karve with 2 SB plates (B & C) and a B OC plate. My preference is the OC plate. Possibly you could refer to the “Karve Diem” Club on this website for more discussion. By the way my Karve has a definite place in my rotation. To me it’s an excellent razor.

I'm really glad to hear how this has worked out for you. I have become very fond of OC plates after trying them on my Karve, and have not ordered anything but OC on other razors I have ordered since.

I haven't tried a Karve but I'm a big fan of open combs. There are some very mild designs which are extremely easy to shave with if that's your preference as well the more aggressive ones.

They all have the party trick of cutting long hair just as easily as short stubble if you get shipwrecked or kidnapped a lot. Or you're just too lazy to shave every day.

This also comes in handy for head/body shaving.

Hello Gentlemen,

I'm thinking of purchasing a Karve Christopher Bradley (Brass) this year as a Christmas present to myself. I have lots of razors of course both new and old but who doesn't need another one?

I'm considering going the Open Comb route but not entirely sure which plate to choose. One of my all time razors in the Gillette NEW Long Comb. Does anybody have some advice as to which which Karve OC plate might shave as closely to that as possible?

I used to shave with a new lc but since switching to the carve I have settled on the d sb plate. Excellent, irritation free shave.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have had my Karve for a couple months so offering up some impressions.

The B SB plate consistently gives me a few odd weepers on the neck each shave, so I was initially concerned about my investment in the Karve. The B OC solves it for whatever reason, but it has a slight roughness to it that ultimately disappears in the post shave.

Just tried the C SB and it was sort of a revelation. The blade feel is so comfortable and smooth, the usable angle so easy to find, and it has none of the harshness I was experiencing, and certainly none of the weird weepers I am not used to seeing.

My experience so far has been the opposite of what I've seen in the Rockwell 6S. That razor has a predictable linear progression where 1 is useless for me, 2 is surprisingly nice with a Feather (and sort of a trip that you can flick it around with reckless abandon) and 3-6 enter the arena of my typical modern DE experience. Nice, and expected levels of aggression and efficiency, with each having a use-case depending on your mood or current skin condition.

Now I'm wondering if a C OC or D SB is worth trying. I don't typically go for aggressive razors, but there might be some magic in a bottle here. Heck, am also considering an A OC to try on the opposite end.

I don't typically go for aggressive razors, but there might be some magic in a bottle here.
I like the B and C SB plates but not the OCs, fwiw. I find the D SB has too much blade feel for my liking, while the B and C shave smooth and make me happy. Now, the D shaves fine, so this is definitely preference. With my Rockwell, I have settled on the 4 plate as my overall preference (it's my travel razor now). Hope this helps.

Hi folks,

I have owned the brass Karve for a couple of years and have the B, C and D safety bar, and the C plate open comb.

For me, the OC beats the SB hands down. Closer, smoother shave with less irritation and leaves a very clean smooth skin feel.
Quite often with the SB plates, the shave is not that comfortable and the skin feel after is nowhere near as smooth and stubble free.

Have you guys found the OC plates better in the Karve?

Thanks!

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk
For me, not really better, just different.

(Sent from mobile)

Hello Gentlemen,

I'm thinking of purchasing a Karve Christopher Bradley (Brass) this year as a Christmas present to myself. I have lots of razors of course both new and old but who doesn't need another one?

I'm considering going the Open Comb route but not entirely sure which plate to choose. One of my all time razors in the Gillette NEW Long Comb. Does anybody have some advice as to which which Karve OC plate might shave as closely to that as possible?
For me, it would be mostly the d ... maybe c.

(Sent from mobile)

Was on a quest to find a modern mild three piece razor and sought alot of advice here (read this thread at the below link). This is now my “Holy Grail” razor. It’s solid brass and is aging with a cool patina that makes me feel like I have a vintage piece in my hand.
I’ve tried many newer razors including Timeless, Colonial, Rockwell, Mühle with limited success but none of them were quite “it” (for me, ymmv). I also have an arsenal of vintage Gillette’s including a Super Speed, Slim Adjustable, Tech’s, even a Sheraton and British TTO Aristocrat. This Christopher Bradley takes them all.

Looking for mild higher end razor... - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/looking-for-mild-higher-end-razor.594246/

I’m a “mild” shaver so I communicated with Chris at Karve, who was very patient and steered me to the “B” plate brass Widebody. It arrived and is a beauty to hold, solid weight, balanced, and the machining is awesome. The B plate was mild yet VERY efficient and shaves close, I get a great 2 pass shave. No weepers, cuts, or razor burn. Other razors didn’t have both - mildness as well as efficient. They were either too mild and not close, or very efficient but got the occasional weeper/cuts or flat out razor burn. With the Christopher Bradley I can even “buff” the chin areas and jaw lines with no burn, and the Widebody enables me to get close without the irritating blade edge bite. Head is thin enough to get tight under nose without that horrifying painful nose nick.

I’ll be selling the other remaining razors on BST.

BTW my daily routine is also new to me Sterling shave soap and Aftershave (currently Autumn Glory). I can’t say enough for Sterling tallow based shaving soaps and even have the smaller puck in their small tin for travel.
proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

- -
Chip Hoynes
CPO, USCG (Ret.)

Make it a Great Day...unless you have other plans...

Top Bottom