What's new

Karve CB which plate to choose?

Hi Gents,

I'm close to ordering the Karve CB SB but I'm still not convinced which base plate to choose to start with so my trust lies in your recommendations 😁
My current go to's are the following

Muhle Rocca V4, Lupo SS 72, Merkur progress on 3 with 1 or 2 days of growth

Lupo SS 95, RR GC 0.84-P, ATT Windsor Pro SB90, Merkur progress on 4
3 days of growth

Occasionally the R41 whenever I go beyond 4 days but the aggressiveness is really on the edge for me

Thx in advance ✌

Sounds like C, D, & E cover the territory you describe. D&E are probably closest if you need to narrow it down.

According to your points of reference I'd opt for SB "D-plate" (1-2 days of growth) and SB "F-plate" (3-4 days of growth). The latter definitely is less agressive than Mühle's R41 and provides a smooth dramafree shave every single time.

FWIW, my vote goes against the combo D&E since they just might be too similar to feel a REAL difference, bit pls be aware I'm only guessing. I use OC-D, SB-F, OC-F and SB-G - however, I don't miss the E-plates.

Last edited:

Iridian

Cool and slimy
In the Australian. Paste & Cut forum a user who reviews razors every week always uses the D plate as his reference point for comparisons. 😀

I assume it's the safety bar version.

I use a karve f plate with a rockwell S head, a very smooth and efficient combination without annoyance, I also have a karve G head and plate, wonderful but aggressive for shaving with a KAI blade, these two razors are very effective 3 passes and light polishing and smooth all day long, wolf 1.35 alternating and daily shaving, stubble tough

I own some of the razors you listed (Lupo .72.& .95, Progress, Rocca)
and for my Karve, after trying LOTS of SB ond OC plates, C through E,
I seem to have settled upon the OC-E, and find it in the same range of the Lupo .95 and Progress on ~4.
(Rocca might be ever so slightly milder....)

Hello! First, YMVV! Second, this is my best take at your question, I hope it helps!

I have the Karve Alu OC-F and Karve Alu SB-G razors.

These are the Karve plates blade gap and blade exposure values, rounded to one decimal place (instead of two like in Karve’s website. It helps me a lot to keep things simple and easy to process in my head).

Karve (mm)​

Plate​
Gap​
Exposure​
AA​
0.5​
-0.1​
A​
0.6​
0.0​
B​
0.7​
0.0​
C​
0.9​
0.1​
D​
1.0​
0.1​
E​
1.1​
0.2​
F​
1.2​
0.2​
G​
1.4​
0.3​
  • Negative exposure razors usually don’t work very well for me, so that leaves the AA plate out (again, for me).
  • A & B plates have both zero blade exposure, so I personally stay away from these two.
  • C & D should be very similar, maybe even indistinguishable. I’d personally pick D.
  • E & F should be very similar, maybe even indistinguishable. I’d personally pick F.
  • G is a whole different animal (and only available in SB plates). Much wider blade gap and much more blade exposure than the rest. Idk… Still haven’t made up my mind about this one.

So for me, there are only 3 Karve plates that I would bother to consider:
  • The D plate: I’m guessing a very smooth, comfortable and relaxed shave while still being plenty efficient (please be aware that I’m only guessing here since I haven’t tried it yet).
  • The F plate: my current favorite in the OC version. Smooth, comfortable and in the same efficiency league as the Muhle R41 imho, but providing a much smoother shave.
  • The G plate: for me, the jury’s still out on this one… Very smooth, very efficient but maybe a bit too much? Frankly, this plate scares me a bit, it keeps me on my toes when using it, but I cannot say it’s been mean to me all the times I have used it.

I you prefer mild to very mild razors (think Merkur 34C or EJ DE89 and milder), I think the B plate would be the one to go for.

Not sure what the AA plate would be good for… Anyways, good luck and have a great one!

PS: most of my observations/conclusions where made thinking mainly of OC plates so again, YMVV (Karve's website says that SB-F = OC-E, but I really can't say...)

it all depends on your facial hair or sensitive skin, how often you shave etc. I have all karve potatoes. I have sensitive skin and hard stubble. I matched perfectly with karve, maybe I can help you, but it will always be your choice, probably other colleagues will also speak up, because everyone has different preferences, different skin, different face contour or irritation after shaving.

I have SB plates C, D, and G. C is kind of redundant for me, but, it was with the razor on BST when I bought it. For 1 to 2 days D all the way. G is for taken down several days growth. It is honestly not scary for me. Just got to respect it.

Hello! First, YMVV! Second, this is my best take at your question, I hope it helps!

I have the Karve Alu OC-F and Karve Alu SB-G razors.

These are the Karve plates blade gap and blade exposure values, rounded to one decimal place (instead of two like in Karve’s website. It helps me a lot to keep things simple and easy to process in my head).

Karve (mm)​

Plate​
Gap​
Exposure​
AA​
0.5​
-0.1​
A​
0.6​
0.0​
B​
0.7​
0.0​
C​
0.9​
0.1​
D​
1.0​
0.1​
E​
1.1​
0.2​
F​
1.2​
0.2​
G​
1.4​
0.3​
  • Negative exposure razors usually don’t work very well for me, so that leaves the AA plate out (again, for me).
  • A & B plates have both zero blade exposure, so I personally stay away from these two.
  • C & D should be very similar, maybe even indistinguishable. I’d personally pick D.
  • E & F should be very similar, maybe even indistinguishable. I’d personally pick F.
  • G is a whole different animal (and only available in SB plates). Much wider blade gap and much more blade exposure than the rest. Idk… Still haven’t made up my mind about this one.

So for me, there are only 3 Karve plates that I would bother to consider:
  • The D plate: I’m guessing a very smooth, comfortable and relaxed shave while still being plenty efficient (please be aware that I’m only guessing here since I haven’t tried it yet).
  • The F plate: my current favorite in the OC version. Smooth, comfortable and in the same efficiency league as the Muhle R41 imho, but providing a much smoother shave.
  • The G plate: for me, the jury’s still out on this one… Very smooth, very efficient but maybe a bit too much? Frankly, this plate scares me a bit, it keeps me on my toes when using it, but I cannot say it’s been mean to me all the times I have used it.

I you prefer mild to very mild razors (think Merkur 34C or EJ DE89 and milder), I think the B plate would be the one to go for.

Not sure what the AA plate would be good for… Anyways, good luck and have a great one!

PS: most of my observations/conclusions where made thinking mainly of OC plates so again, YMVV (Karve's website says that SB-F = OC-E, but I really can't say...)
Thx for your time and this detailed karve walk trough at the moment I'm leaning towards the SB D a level I can use as a daily shaver

I have SB plates C, D, and G. C is kind of redundant for me, but, it was with the razor on BST when I bought it. For 1 to 2 days D all the way. G is for taken down several days growth. It is honestly not scary for me. Just got to respect it.
Thx yes I'm a every other day shaver so I'm leaning towards the D plate

Karve d is very good, moderately aggressive, I recommend a normal hat and maybe you will be tempted by a rockwell cap S it's not a lot of money but it fits perfectly with karve, I use it for d, e, fa great shave but G just a normal hat any stubble even 7 days goes like a storm

Karve d is very good, moderately aggressive, I recommend a normal hat and maybe you will be tempted by a rockwell cap S it's not a lot of money but it fits perfectly with karve, I use it for d, e, fa great shave but G just a normal hat any stubble even 7 days goes like a storm
Got the 6C so once I have the karve I'll definitely give it a try 👍

He will be as delicate as a lamb on the head, but still moderately aggressive on the stick. Please let me know when you have karve and share your opinion

I have the Karve CB SB in both C and D plates, and I love them both. I generally prefer fairly average aggressiveness, maybe leaning mild. Doubt you’ll go wrong with taking your best guess with a Karve.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
The SB-D should cover all the bases. Efficient enough but can still be used as a daily driver.

Then, when you feel that you are ready, the SB-G awaits. :cool:
20210928_143628~2.jpg

Used the SB-G this evening. Beautiful shave.

Top Bottom