What's new

Karve CB and Blades That Work For You or Don't

I know there's been at least one post on the topic in the past (and buried posts in the Karve Diem brotherhood). But, I thought it might be useful for owners of the Karve (whatever metal) to share their opinions about what works in their Karve CB on a particular plate (if that even matters), what doesn't, and so forth. Fwiw, my favorite plate is the SB C (I have A, B, and C, all SBs, but rarely trot out the A anymore).

As an additional note, I also have a Rockwell 6S, which I also like a lot, and Merkur Progress from years ago which I do not, and my intro to DE shaver, a butterfly Parker from about 10 years ago (still love that guy). I'm also one that likes the Gillette Sensor 2-blade version (my travel razor and my long standing razor forever).

Also hoping this belongs in this sub-forum and not the razor blade one (this is specific to one razor after all).

Blades that worked very well:
Gillette Silver Blue (my current preference and the standard now by which I judge) [Plates: B SB, C SB]
Polsilver Super Iridium [Plates: B SB, C SB]
Gillette 7 o'Clock Yellows (Super Edge) [Plates: C SB]

Blades that have not worked so well (for my face, the above are simply better in this razor for me) (again, using the GSB as a benchmark of sorts):
Astra SP (I know, many a person's go to) [Plates: C SB]
German Wilkinsons [Plates: B SB]
Red Personnas [Plates: B SB]
Personna Lab Blues [Plates: C SB]
Gillette Purple Nacets [Plates: B SB, C SB] (I had hopes for this one)
Dorco Prime Platinum {not the ST-300} [Plates: B SB]

Blades in my upcoming rotation plans:
Feather {love it in the Rockwell}
Kai {also good in the Rockwell}
Bic Chrome Platinum
Gillette 7 o'Clock Blacks (Super Platinum)
Gillette Platinum (likely to be next or so)
Perma Super Sharp

Super curious about other opinions. Hoping it might help others as we travel down the YMMV shaving road with the Karve.

I have a Karve SB B and OC B C.

The blades that don't seem to work are BICs and Feathers.

The 7 o'clocks yellow, greens seem to work great and Nacets are average if rough.

Nacets were a no-go for me, much to my disappointment, in both the Rockwell and Karve.

7 O'clock greens are okay, but do not seems to hold and edge for more then two shaves (head and face x 2).

Astra SP, GSBs, Feathers, KAIs, Vohskods and PermaSharps all seem just fine in my Karve, with Feathers being the clear winner.

I have not yet tried the Polsilver Super Iridium in my Karve, having just opened my first tuck last night. Will advise after the weekend.

I got some blades from Tryablade when I got an SB C a couple months ago.

Astra SPs, Red Personnas, 7 O'clock greens, Permasharps and Rapira Swedish Supersteel all worked well.

Derby Extras dulled after 3 shaves.

Asco, Gillette Yellow, Polsilver and Voskhod all took a shave to break in then dulled after 3-4 more shaves.

Bolzano did not work well at all.

I used the Gillette Platinum on Friday. It definitely was a great shave. It felt every good as the Silver Blue. So definitely in the top tier in the Karve for me. Will have to compare it with the Silver Blue at some point (as with all other top tier contenders).

I have the Karve SB with the C and D plates. What works best for me are the Personna blades (Med Preps, Labs, and Reds), Super Iridium, and GSB in that order.

I have been getting good results with 7 O’clock greens and blacks, and now Nacets and GSBs, using SB B and C plates.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have found many blades work well for me in the razor. And I found that most blades I did not like in my Slim don't agree with the Karve, either!

Eric; M, Karve Diem, BOSC

My face is rather agnostic about DE blades (AC-style blades are another story). Today I used a Feather in my Karve open comb F plate, and it worked like a charm.

Astra and Feather did very poorly, I was actually pretty unsatisfied with my Karve SB C until I tried a Polsilver. It's like a match made in heaven.

Razor blade update for me. Gillette 7 o Clock Blacks (Super Platinum) worked very well, but the Green (Super Stainless) did not (by a wide margin, interestingly). Voskhods also were just ok.

Since I posted on July 3rd, I have started to use RPLs and Dorco ST301s with my SB C. My experience with my SB B is consistently good to great, but my experience with the SB C is still mixed. So far my best experience with the SB C has been with a fresh RPL. I have still never used my SB D - too scared :).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have the Karve SB with the C and D plates. What works best for me are the Personna blades (Med Preps, Labs, and Reds), Super Iridium, and GSB in that order.
Today I used a Feather and it gave me an exceptional shave. I would add it to my list.

Top Bottom