Will you be ordering a SS Karve?

• Yes

• No

• Later when the price drops

• I’m so torn...

Results are only viewable after voting.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Here's what I can share. In late May, I contacted Chris directly to ask for whether they actually had razors in stock like the website said. He said the parts were in stock but that he was behind on hand finishing. I asked how long it would take to ship and he said 2 weeks. I placed the order for the Steel version with B plate and received it roughly 8 weeks later. So Chris still takes longer than he promises.

All that said, the steel razor I received from them is a marvel. It is part of a 3 razor rotation and it is the equal of the other two razors (Tatara Masamune and WR 95SB). It shaves like a dream, and I can honestly say it is one of the finest razors I have ever used. Smooth like butter, but still plenty efficient. Zero irritation ever and I can use any soap I like because it is so smooth and precise. Totally worth a 2-month wait IMO. I just wish Chris had said 2 months instead of 2 weeks.
Basically true for me. I ordered another this summer - my third- the site said in stock. After the order I received an email saying they were behind several weeks. So i waited. I emailed to ask and got a shipping notice. The tracking sat with item not picked up by carrier almost two weeks until i emailed again. It arrived yesterday. i suppose i was warned in the initial email. Buy i do like more instant gratification

Basically true for me. I ordered another this summer - my third- the site said in stock. After the order I received an email saying they were behind several weeks. So i waited. I emailed to ask and got a shipping notice. The tracking sat with item not picked up by carrier almost two weeks until i emailed again. It arrived yesterday. i suppose i was warned in the initial email. Buy i do like more instant gratification

I think the problem is that "in stock" should mean "ships immediately" and that is just not what is happening. Everyone needs to know that there are no razors "in stock" at Karve EVER. Every razor is effectively made to order and it takes them a long time. And for the record...I had to remind them to ship my razor, as well. This would be an easy thing to fix if they could just change the website to reflect real-world inventory status and shipping timelines.

Also...when I placed my order for my WR2, the timeline from payment to receipt was shorter than for my Karve, but it also took several weeks. So the reality is that a great razor takes time to make.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
I think the problem is that "in stock" should mean "ships immediately" and that is just not what is happening. Everyone needs to know that there are no razors "in stock" at Karve EVER. Every razor is effectively made to order and it takes them a long time. And for the record...I had to remind them to ship my razor, as well. This would be an easy thing to fix if they could just change the website to reflect real-world inventory status and shipping timelines.

Also...when I placed my order for my WR2, the timeline from payment to receipt was shorter than for my Karve, but it also took several weeks. So the reality is that a great razor takes time to make.
I agree. Not complaining really just the way it is. Good communication is hard to find. Getting a tracking notification sets up expectations but then when tracking for about 2 weeks said item not pickedup yet indicated they just created a label nothing was shipping. So maybe it is made to order. I like the design and quality thats why i have 3 karve now but its annoying. Truth be told i went thru this with karve already with the polished ss that the web site suggested was in stock. So i guess i knew what to expect but hit buy anyway. Self created angst i guess is why i wont buy a wolf even though i did that form what feels like years ago.

I agree. Not complaining really just the way it is. Good communication is hard to find. Getting a tracking notification sets up expectations but then when tracking for about 2 weeks said item not pickedup yet indicated they just created a label nothing was shipping. So maybe it is made to order. I like the design and quality thats why i have 3 karve now but its annoying. Truth be told i went thru this with karve already with the polished ss that the web site suggested was in stock. So i guess i knew what to expect but hit buy anyway. Self created angst i guess is why i wont buy a wolf even though i did that form what feels like years ago.
Are you on titanium waiting list? I wonder if they had to pay up front?

I’m not on the list, but, as far as I remember, Karve decided to change their MO with the aluminum and titanium wait lists, and said people wouldn’t have to pay up front like before (eg polished SS razors), only when their spot came up and their razor was being manufactured.

I’m not on the list, but, as far as I remember, Karve decided to change their MO with the aluminum and titanium wait lists, and said people wouldn’t have to pay up front like before (eg polished SS razors), only when their spot came up and their razor was being manufactured.
That’s not a change in their MO. That‘s a return to their previous MO, as that‘s exactly what they did with their SS razors. Waitlist that seemed to take forever, and you paid when your number came up. The problem arose when they stated shipping SS razors to other retailers before clearing their own waitlist....thus allowing other buyers to immediately get a SS Karve razor ahead of many folks still waiting on the Karve waitlist.

That’s not a change in their MO. That‘s a return to their previous MO, as that‘s exactly what they did with their SS razors. Waitlist that seemed to take forever, and you paid when your number came up. The problem arose when they stated shipping SS razors to other retailers before clearing their own waitlist....thus allowing other buyers to immediately get a SS Karve razor ahead of many folks still waiting on the Karve waitlist.

True, I was comparing it with their wait list for polished SS razors at the end of last year, but had forgotten about the initial (matte) SS razors wait list (even though that’s how I got my SS razor... seems like a long time ago now...).
And you’re right, that one took ages, as they reopened it once or twice and added more people, when they hadn’t even started shipping razors to the first group...

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Nope. I was disappointed about not getting in on the aluminum that lead to my purchase of the ss.

On a positive note i wad shaving with a timless aluminum in less than one week from ordering.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Karve close call (shave) the use dhl and apparently my address was 1 number off on the shipping label i didn't notice this before or when i got the ship notice. Dhl said package was delivered thursday i haven't been home today Saturday i got a message from a neighbor thru LinkedIn i guess the only way she could contact me to say they found the package on their back deck. Way way off. There isnt a hous e on the street 1 number off from my address and they walked thru someone back yard about 75 yards away to leave it where theydid. Anyway i got it. Box was soaked. Internal stuff was wet. Good thing its a ss razor got a baptism by water early.

Karve close call (shave) the use dhl and apparently my address was 1 number off on the shipping label i didn't notice this before or when i got the ship notice. Dhl said package was delivered thursday i haven't been home today Saturday i got a message from a neighbor thru LinkedIn i guess the only way she could contact me to say they found the package on their back deck. Way way off. There isnt a hous e on the street 1 number off from my address and they walked thru someone back yard about 75 yards away to leave it where theydid. Anyway i got it. Box was soaked. Internal stuff was wet. Good thing its a ss razor got a baptism by water early.
I’m still curious about why you won’t post a picture of your polished SS Karve? There are many here who would appreciate being able to see how it turned out.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
I’m still curious about why you won’t post a picture of your polished SS Karve? There are many here who would appreciate being able to see how it turned out.
i usually dont post pics is my basic excuse. Plus im lazy and ive been basically away and its not with me. Enough excuses?
Its funny when i googled for pics nothing really comes up maybe one. I haven't used it either the letter that came with it scared me off.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
He enclosed a one page single spaced letter warning about how use can cause scratching and damage to the mirror finish. The letter began with something like "if you plan on using the razor"

He enclosed a one page single spaced letter warning about how use can cause scratching and damage to the mirror finish. The letter began with something like "if you plan on using the razor"
That's fascinating. Do you think you'll ever use it!? I remember reading a comment long ago by a Wolfman user who had invested in the high polish option and was intimidated to use the razor, which helped me to resolve to buy the regular finish. It must be a gorgeous piece!

Need to ask this one here. I e-mailed Karve and have not heard back. I would like to know specifically if I''m interpreting the specs accurately, as found on the website linked below.

Are The handles alone precisely measured end-to-end as 3.0, 3.25, 3.5 and 4.0 inches respectively?

I ask because the remaining specs for length are in millimeters and do not match the handle lengths, off by roughly an additional 0.25 inches, not insignificant. I can only surmise this is for the entire length of the razor and head fully assembled. I'm assuming this based on the heavy weights, which are probably for the whole assembly.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Screen Shot 2020-09-13 at 4.16.36 PM.png

Based on my 3" brass, yes the handles alone are precise 1/4" increments. Karve seems to just convert to metric, going native with inches and very precise 10/32 threads.

Need to ask this one here. I e-mailed Karve and have not heard back. I would like to know specifically if I''m interpreting the specs accurately, as found on the website linked below. Are:

1. The handles alone precisely measured end-to-end as 3.0, 3.25, 3.5 and 4.0 inches respectively?
2. I ask the above because the remaining specs for length are in millimeters and do not match the handle lengths, off by roughly an additional 0.25 inches and not insignificant. I can only surmise this is for the entire length of the razor and head fully assembled. I'm assuming this based on the heavy weights, which are probably for the whole assembly.

View attachment 1154477

Just received my SS CB, ordered with 3.25" handle.. As you can see in the pic it measures out exactly at 3.25"..
IMG_2218-1.jpg

Need to ask this one here. I e-mailed Karve and have not heard back. I would like to know specifically if I''m interpreting the specs accurately, as found on the website linked below.

Are The handles alone precisely measured end-to-end as 3.0, 3.25, 3.5 and 4.0 inches respectively?

I ask because the remaining specs for length are in millimeters and do not match the handle lengths, off by roughly an additional 0.25 inches, not insignificant. I can only surmise this is for the entire length of the razor and head fully assembled. I'm assuming this based on the heavy weights, which are probably for the whole assembly.

View attachment 1154477

Yes, you’re correct, the weights and lenghts in mm are for whole razors, with the topcap and baseplate on.

Top Bottom