What's new

Karve Advice

I've been thinking about getting myself a SS Karve - so I decided to ask B&B for advice ;)

I most enjoy out of my rotation the Timeless Ti.68, Razorock GC .68, Lupo SS DLC, Feather AS-D2.

Which Karve Plate would make the most sense so I'd end up in those razors territory in terms of smoothness, blade feel & efficiency?

Help and advice is most appreciated!

I also like those same razors.
The Karve I like the most is the Overlander.
It doesn't come in stainless steel unfortunately.
The A plate will shave similarly to the ASD2 though.

I prefer mild-to-medium razors and didn't want to spend loads of money on different plates. So I took a chance and got the brass one with the B plate, which I really like. I definitely use my Karve more than any other razor I possess, and I have quite a few.

I would recommend the Overlander over the CB. Better shaver but only in brass at the moment. Never could get comfortable shaves with the CB B, C, or D plates. Overlander was sublime right out of the box.

Now that I’ve switched to a more forgiving blade, I really like my CB plate C. It shaves at a slightly different angle than my other razors, it took a bit of experimentation.

I would recommend the Overlander over the CB. Better shaver but only in brass at the moment. Never could get comfortable shaves with the CB B, C, or D plates. Overlander was sublime right out of the box.
I would totally agree! However, Overlander does come in Aluminum and Brass, IMO either razor gives wonderful shaves.

Thanks for the input guys! Seems like it pretty much is a toss up between the B & C Plate.

The Overlander doesn't intrigue me as much, the design just doesn't wow me.

I would also suggest the Overlander first. Karve C is also a good choice

The angle for Overlander is given and very easy to shave with as well.

Reactions: Kix
I love my Karve Straight Bar with a B plate.

I don’t like razors with lots of blade feel and was always bouncing between a vintage Gillette Tech and a Vintage Super Speed. The Tech was actually TOO aggressive for me (contrary to what you hear a lot around here) and the Super Speed was much gentler but with a more clumsy larger head and not-quite rigid blade holding design. The tougher parts of my neck were very hard to shave closely and it’s was always minor pins and needles shaving there.

I basically told Chris from Karve the above and he told me to go for the B or C plate straight bar. Playing it safe I went for the B plate and hit the lottery on the first try. The Karve B plate straight bar has roughly the same blade feel and efficiency of the Super Speed but is far more comfortable! I haven’t tried many other machined razors, a RR JAWS 84, which is just not for me. Way way way too much blade feel. But I can buff my neck with wreck-less abandon with the Karve!

Hope this helps!

I started with the A and B plates, for like @Earl_Grey and @BudgetShaverGuy, I like less blade feel and the no drama experience of milder razors. I added other plates, up to D along with some open combs (A & B), but found that the solid bar B is my preferred plate. So now I only have B, and for those "look, ma, no hands!" shaves, the A. The CB was The One for almost 2 years, until I discovered single edge razors. Then Karve introduced the Overlander, and it is like discovering the CB all over again!

TL;DR: get the SS with 2 plates, and see what you think! The BST does a great job too, allowing you to find stuff and move stuff on that doesn't work out.

Thanks everyone! I decided to go with the C Plate for the time being, I can always get the B plate afterwards if I find it too harsh.
Just remember not to push too hard with it. My initial impressions of the Karve CB wasnt great because I couldnt feel anything on the face and I assumed it wasnt cutting. I ended up upping the pressure until I could feel the blade and that ended up being harsh. Even on the C plate, you just need to trust it's cutting and use a very light touch because you wont always feel it.

Just remember not to push too hard with it. My initial impressions of the Karve CB wasnt great because I couldnt feel anything on the face and I assumed it wasnt cutting. I ended up upping the pressure until I could feel the blade and that ended up being harsh. Even on the C plate, you just need to trust it's cutting and use a very light touch because you wont always feel it.

Great points! I would also like to add that I found my Karve to be a little more efficient by increasing the shaving angle a bit.

Top Bottom