What's new

Karl Engels Emir DE razor set

I had posted some images of my Emir razors about 7.5 years ago here and when a friend asked me how they held up over more time -- this Emir is at least 80 years old -- I thought I'd do a new set of photos. So here is this classy and unusual Emir set, still as strikingly beautiful (ATMO) as originally.

full

full

full

full

full

full

full

full

full

full

full

You've noticed how the head has a mild and aggressive side to it. And the hand-painted red border of the "E" -- very nicely done -- and not washed off -- yet. Please post your Emirs here to show these classy shavers from the far distant past.

Man, Jake, this is one gorgeous set :001_wub: I am truly smitten with that baseplate and guard setup, dual comb with a Liebel style angled ‘ditch’ to collect the lather (don’t know how to describe in English). And the handle style is equally to die for. As I recall your description you also stated it was a great shaver?

Thanks so much for sharing!

I actually myself only yesterday took delivery of a similar Emir, in fine condition but with a much more ordinary open comb OT style baseplate. Still nice looking ... but a poor shaver, alas...

7C6EAA63-255B-4A1D-83FC-1852883DFE9B.jpeg

Very nice set Jake, the top one. The little one is funny, like other ladies razors apparently intended to do away with a monobrow whilst in a restaurant.
Similar handle type was also used by Punktal, except they had less decoration.
Here's an Emir/Karl Engels slant with a variation on the generic Solingen differential slant-head:
DSC03680.JPG

DSC03683.JPG

I also had a regular razor that on the second-best German forum was identified as probably Karl Engels. Differential head but very angular:
DSC06498.JPG
DSC06500.JPG
DSC06503.JPG

KeenDogg

Slays On Fleek - For Rizz
Man, Jake, this is one gorgeous set :001_wub: I am truly smitten with that baseplate and guard setup, dual comb with a Liebel style angled ‘ditch’ to collect the lather (don’t know how to describe in English). And the handle style is equally to die for. As I recall your description you also stated it was a great shaver?

Thanks so much for sharing!

I actually myself only yesterday took delivery of a similar Emir, in fine condition but with a much more ordinary open comb OT style baseplate. Still nice looking ... but a poor shaver, alas...

View attachment 1228845
Peter, you should never have to shave with such a poor razor. I will PM you my address and I will gladly dispose of it for you!😅

Punktal also had a dual comb with a very, very similar head shape, if I recall correctly. The iKon Shavecraft 101 is an homage to the Punktal; but the Shavecraft 101 head also looks extremely similar to the Emir you posted.

I LOVE the Shavecraft 101; it is one of the smoothest, most comfortable shaving razors I've ever tried. I wonder if the Emir is similarly buttery smooth?

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
I have several models of razor Emir. I am looking for a catalog but I have not found so far
Does anyone know how to distinguish the different models?
Nor do I have information on how the brand disappeared and in what year ..

It is strange that some models patented by the brand continue to be manufactured by Merkur since then

I would like to know the business relationship between Emir and Merkur ... it is something intriguing!
Not a lot of info available. Which models do you have? Love to see them and compare to some of mine.

There is the historic list here that shows they were located in Solingen-Gräfrath, Wernerstrasse 6a in 1939

I was not aware of any business relationship between the two companies and would be interested in hearing what you know.
I do know Karl Engels was bought by Dorko (not Dorco) sometime after 1952.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Thanks so much for the lovely photos @Ascet ! Nice SOTD photography.

I will look for some others of mine but I lost many pics when a hard drive failed. But some are still here:

Similar to your Luxor handle but a bakelite slant
full

Not sure what this is called but has differential head, never used (I have another user grade)
full

Like your Luxor model but top cap is plain, no engraving
full

Like your Vorrasur but metal
full

Dual sided similar to my other post
full

Vorrasur is not a model, it's a german word meaning something like preshave. Usually used on differential razors: the vorrasur side is used on the first pass, the other side on the second.

Top Bottom