What's new

Kapton Tape. Any real Advantage?

Yes. I use tape. That being said....
Is there any advantage to using the Kapton stuff rather than regular vinyl electrical tape?
The vinyl tape can get goopy if using oil or Ballistol. Makes a small mess.
Works well with water though. Any thoughts?

Wears very quickly when doing any heavy lifting. Will embed into the stone easily. Reduction in angle is there but reg. electrical tape only adds 1 degree usually so Kapton's reduced dimension isn't really a tremendous benefit.
Kapton with teflon is better, lasts longer, did not see embedding; very expensive though.

Ordered some generic Kapton tape a couple weeks ago. Looking forward to trying it out. Shipped from China so I may be waiting a while...

I heard kapton is suppose to last longer than regular electrical tape so they was the main plus. Also has smaller impact on angle of your edge which can isn't really a pro or con, just whatever the person prefers. I would suggest using both just to see what you prefer.

I often use Kapton, though one of the hassles of using it is it that it has zero stretch, so it will not conform smoothly to a smiling spine. I let the loop of tape form a straight tube behind the spine and just make sure that the tape is smooth on the contact point of the spine on both sides. So yes, electrical tape is a lot easier to apply.

I use Kapton tape on straight spined razors and electrical for smiling spine razors. I also use electrical tape if I need to work on a chip or geometry issues and then switch to the before mentioned determination. I like to keep the bevel angle as acute as possible, but I hate spine wear more than anything so I tape everything.

I use super 88 and also use kapton. Not sure what kind of kapton anymore really since I have had it a while and don't have a label anymore. I feel like the kapton holds up better than electrical. Less mess and works well with razors with certain bevel angles. I usually work with real old razors so I like the options as both have their uses. After using the kapton for sometime I find it easier to apply even on smiling blades now.

Um, I use kapton tape for soldering all the time because it doesn't melt but I fail to see how it could be useful for shaving. There's no similarities between it and electrical tape. Wouldn't recommend the chinese stuff, go with name brand.

I use super 88 and kapton. Depending on what angle change is needed. I use Kapton sorta like Vic, on a smiling spine I use two pieces. One on each side. Trim if too much sticks up. Helps with the issue of not stretching.

I used to use Kapton all the time on razors that I didn't want home wear on, unfortunately, the cost is far too much. If you can get the US-made Kapton, it is great stuff. The knock off Kapton from china is absolute garbage and not worth a dime.

Out of curiosity..
Why is Chinese kapton bad vs the US stuff?
I mean what are the deficiencies?

Out of curiosity..
Why is Chinese kapton bad vs the US stuff?
I mean what are the deficiencies?
I'm interested in this too. I bought what I assume is Chinese Kapton as there are no markings on the bobbin and it was low cost. I have not had any difficulty using it and it is very wear resistant compared to electrical tape. Most importantly it is .002".

Top Bottom