What's new

Kanayama suede

Hi all,
I ordered a suede strop for my 60k, and I just received it today. I have a question that probably sounds silly, but I'm clueless on this. Which side of the suede do I use? One side is very rough and the other side is just lightly napped.

The smoothest side, but honestly the suede does very little other than make me drool from its quality.
Man the lightly nappy side is a dream to strop on! I read that most just use it post shave to take away any moisture from the edge. I wonder if it does anything to improve the edge prior to the Kanayama? I was also wondering if the edges of the suede needs beveling? Or just wait and over time the stropping will take care of that by wearing the edges down . I noticed the very edge ever so slightly is hanging over. Do you think this will damage an edge?

I have an older Kanayama and just have the cotton and leather, I know some don’t use the cotton as they say it’s to harsh but I have used mine since day one with no break in and it does a fine job, as far as the suede goes it IMHO does nothing for the edge except dry it after shaving.

Man the lightly nappy side is a dream to strop on! I read that most just use it post shave to take away any moisture from the edge. I wonder if it does anything to improve the edge prior to the Kanayama? I was also wondering if the edges of the suede needs beveling? Or just wait and over time the stropping will take care of that by wearing the edges down . I noticed the very edge ever so slightly is hanging over. Do you think this will damage an edge?

I have used mine for years now and it has never hurt an edge. It doesn't improve an edge either, but it does do a fantastic job cleaning the edge. It will remove the tiny bits that even a dry cloth misses. They are beautifully made and worth owning to complete a luxury strop.

I have an older Kanayama and just have the cotton and leather, I know some don’t use the cotton as they say it’s to harsh but I have used mine since day one with no break in and it does a fine job, as far as the suede goes it IMHO does nothing for the edge except dry it after shaving.

Are they cotton? Last I heard most folks had decided it was a canvas made from hemp. Crazy loud, but I do like how it works.

Mine came with its own hanger/hardware. I don't know if I will or should put it on the same hanger with my 60k or not??

I spent a fair amount of time scrubbing, washing and softening the canvas before using. Just following instructions here, and it did help.

My suede is also on the same hanger, and the canvas is on a separate hanger.

My Kanoyama 90K came with the Suede on the same hanger with the Strop, and the Canvas came on a separate hanger as well.

My Kanoyama 90K came with the Suede on the same hanger with the Strop, and the Canvas came on a separate hanger as well.

The 90K is very thick leather, correct?

I ended up getting a Kanayma 30K with suede but would a thicker, maybe stiffer, strop like the 90K be better for a thicker blade? I used to have a pretty light blade but my girlfriend gave me a blade that is quarter hollow or nearly a full wedge? Do some strops work better for some grinds?

I ended up getting a Kanayma 30K with suede but would a thicker, maybe stiffer, strop like the 90K be better for a thicker blade? I used to have a pretty light blade but my girlfriend gave me a blade that is quarter hollow or nearly a full wedge? Do some strops work better for some grinds?

No, the 30k is a great strop. Leather has no different effects on various grinds.

The 30K should be fine for you. You’ve already got the strop why spend $300+ on a new one if the strop you have is working. The 90K is thick and got one of the best draws I’ve ever used. If you did want another strop go with a 60K their a little longer like the 90K, but what you have should be fine.

But if you want choices get several strops from different makers, I have owned several Kanayama strops form 30-90 and the thicker leather I honestly don’t care for.

15384E8B-FA5F-4574-938D-0891DD639CDB.jpeg

No, the 30k is a great strop. Leather has no different effects on various grinds.
Thanks. Good to know.

The 30K should be fine for you. You’ve already got the strop why spend $300+ on a new one if the strop you have is working. The 90K is thick and got one of the best draws I’ve ever used. If you did want another strop go with a 60K their a little longer like the 90K, but what you have should be fine.
Yeah, agreed! The 30K seems quite good to me. I have very little exposure to the variety of options out there. Just trying to figure out all the nuances since they are a bit of an investment for me.

But if you want choices get several strops from different makers, I have owned several Kanayama strops form 30-90 and the thicker leather I honestly don’t care for.

I have seen that picture before on here. That's a very handsome set up. I appreciate your input.

Top Bottom