What's new

Kanayama suede strop

I did 3 washing cycles on 30°C with drying in between, tab didn't come off, hand rolled it for a few minutes in between when dry. It's now among my favorite linnen for stropping. Ordered several 80000's for others and only thing I changed is when preparing the linnen I now put some glue on the hole where it attaches so it doesn't unravel. My last one is still in customs (will cost me a extra $100 :001_07:)

I have used the Kanayama canvas daily for years with no "breaking in". The instructions for softening the canvas on the website didn't exist untill a year or so ago and I'm convinced it appeared to appease all those who complained about how stiff they are. Well, mine is as stiff as when I received it and it works wonderfully. I have 3 of them in case they stop making them. My advise is to stop washing, folding and running over them with the car and just use them.

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
I have used the Kanayama canvas daily for years with no "breaking in". The instructions for softening the canvas on the website didn't exist untill a year or so ago and I'm convinced it appeared to appease all those who complained about how stiff they are. Well, mine is as stiff as when I received it and it works wonderfully. I have 3 of them in case they stop making them. My advise is to stop washing, folding and running over them with the car and just use them.
Couldn't agree more. I asked Takeshi about this a while back and IIRC he had one customer that claimed the canvas chipped the edge of one of his razors so that's why he wrote all of that about breaking them in.

I do like the canvas on the Kanayama.. especially the zipping sound it makes!
But it is streets apart from the natural flax linen on my two Westholme strops. The first one, on a Latigo starter strop is well run in and a smooth and silky as can be. The second one on a Double Horse Fronts is relatively new and is still bedding in.

I use both Kanayama and a natural linen like a TM or Westholme.Why?OCD probably.Then I rub my tummy and pat my head.I never did any of the strop softening and my Kanayama canvas is still stiff but works fine,without any edge damage.I use a 100x microscope after every time I strop and things seem fine.

I use both Kanayama and a natural linen like a TM or Westholme.Why?OCD probably.Then I rub my tummy and pat my head.I never did any of the strop softening and my Kanayama canvas is still stiff but works fine,without any edge damage.I use a 100x microscope after every time I strop and things seem fine.
Haha.. I have a whale of a time with the possible combinations.
Not only are the second surfaces completely different but the leathers are too.
The Latigo is smooth but medium draw, the 'DHF' is actually textured and quite a heavy draw and gets heavier with vigorous rubbing as recommended, then there is the Kanayama's smooth as silk glass like draw.
Endless combinations ..OCD essential.

I'm not sure what to say having read the comments above. I don't have a strop. Although I need one. Obviously you guys have been at this for a bit, and you're getting your equipment dialed in and that's fantastic. I'm at the beginning of a straight shaving Journey, so I think I'll start a new Thread about that. I think I will call it,
"I need stropping simplicity.":a21::a21::a21: Maybe you're laughing because that doesn't exist..... fortunately I have the @alpster helping me out so far. Thanks for all of your combined input.

like you, no strop when i first began with a straight.
used the newspaper strop solution.
one with paste and other plain.
worked fine.
especially as i got the knack of stropping so as not to slice up a fancy new one.

I have an older 50000 that does not have the suede and I have just been using the cotton without doing anything to it and the edges seem fine, I typically do 25/50 on either cotton/leather or linen/leather and then do 20/20 on post shave

I own a 70,000 and to me it's the best strop money can buy. I use the suede coming off the hone for 10 strops, 50 linen, then 100 leather. After that I don't really use the suede. I love the linen. I broke it in according to their instructions. My leather tabs came off but I simply glued them back on. I have a linen strop headed my way from Scruple Works I'm so looking forward to receiving. If you order one from him don't expect it anytime soon I've heard they're the best linen strops.

Pictures of suede as received,

proxy.php

proxy.php

Makes me mad just looking at it. How could you sell something like this? The wrapper was unopened too, but if you know the quality is subpar then perhaps state that there are imperfections (to put it mildly) with the product. I had asked him to do this so others are will not get the shock I did but I have not been back to his site since.
Holy ****. I think I got either this exact strop recently or at least it was cut together because my suede also has this exact cut out of it! I'm annoyed but MTC kitchen offered to replace the strop but I just didn't feel like going through the hassle of returning it so I just said *** it and took a coupon code.
image0.jpeg
image1.jpeg

Wow, that cut edge looks worse than mine! Its longer for sure.
I don't see as many scars though.
He really shouldn't be selling these without a disclaimer.

It seems these are better for warming the blade prior to linen then actually refreshing a blade.
It would be ideal for drying and cleaning if you wanted something like that.
Feels nice to strop on though.

That cut would seriously mess with my OCD and I'd probably try to straighten it out, by cutting off a thin strip along that edge. Might lose 3-4mm, but at least it would be decent looking.

Top Bottom