What's new

Kanayama strops different draws?

I have a question regarding my Kanayama strops. I have a 50k and an 80k. I understand the different numbers to indicate quality, thickness, and maybe width. My 80k is a bit wider than my 50k. The 80k is certainly thicker than the 50k. However, I much prefer the 50k. The draw on the 50k is very buttery. Feels like smooth velvet. The draw on the 80k feels more glassy, very similar to a Westholme cordovan.

I purchased the 50k new. The 80k was purchased lightly used. The 80k strop appears to be as advertised. No wear marks on the leather. The canvas is really stiff like new. Certainly not broken in. It does however have some slight staining in a couple of spots. Maybe water on a cloth while cleaning? On Aframestokyo it recommends using a damp cloth to wipe the strop clean. I do not do this, but perhaps the previous owner did. I do not feel it is oil. I have oiled a strop before and the draw became heavier. I do not feel this, just glassier.

Does anyone have 2+ Kanayamas that feel different? I am wondering if the draw on the 80k was changed by the previous owner or if this is normal regarding different Kanayama models.

I have a 70k and a 30k.
The 30K has a better feel to me and is my favorite.
The 70 is glassy smooth with almost no draw at all. The 30 has a little draw.
I am not a fan of strops with draw though. I want very little.
Both great strops.
Yes, It is a good idea to wipe with a damp cloth when it needs it. Not soaking wet- just mildly wet and wipe dry immediately.
It will not stain the strop.
To soften the linen try this. Works great.

I have a 70k and a 30k.
The 30K has a better feel to me and is my favorite.
The 70 is glassy smooth with almost no draw at all. The 30 has a little draw.
I am not a fan of strops with draw though. I want very little.
Both great strops.
Yes, It is a good idea to wipe with a damp cloth when it needs it. Not soaking wet- just mildly wet and wipe dry immediately.
It will not stain the strop.
To soften the linen try this. Works great.

Thanks. Seems the higher numbered models do have a slightly different draw.

I softened the linen on my 50k differently. I took hardware off. I hand washed it and laid flat on a work bench. While wet, I rubbed a 2lb hammer back and forth on both sides. I handwahsed and scrubbed with a stiff plastic bristle brush. I rubbed the hammer and scrubbed with the brush twice more. Then I laid the strop flat on the bench to air dry. Placed the hardware back on. It came out pretty good. I will add, while handwashing the leather end cap came off rather easily. Like a band aid almost. After it was dry, a few drops of glue and it was back on better than new.

Last edited:
Ya, washing it is a lot of work and the method above works great, is not detrimental in any way, and adds no detergents/chemicals to the original piece.
So long as you get there - that's all that matters.

Ya, washing it is a lot of work and the method above works great, is not detrimental in any way, and adds no detergents/chemicals to the original piece.
So long as you get there - that's all that matters.

You softened yours this way? How many times do you have to roll it? I assume you are rolling both sides?

Top Bottom