What's new

Kanayama strop problem

Hello all,
I am wondering if anybody else has the gold leafing on their strops coming off and ending up on there razors?
I bought two strops, one a 30,000, and a 90,000 and the gold leaf seems to contaminate the razor when I strop on the 90,000. the 30,000 nothing, great strop, no problems.
I emailed A-frames and the response I got was that this will eventually end and to just use the strop. Still I don't understand how this is happening on one strop and not the other. Little disappointed as the 90,000 was a real stretch for my budget and to have an issue such as this makes me kind of feel that I overspent on this...
anyone else have the same thing and end up seeing this go away?

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
I am not exactly sure why this is a problem. Do you want your strop to look as if you have never used it? Best way to achieve that lofty goal is to not use it. Not sure how gold leaf can contaminate a razor, either. Just shave with it, and see if you can tell the difference between one contaminated with gold, and one that is still pure.

This should not be a problem. I know Mr. Kanayama places the gold leaf by hand with a press. This gold leaf is not meant to last(much like gold wash on a straight razor), but the strop itself should last a life time. You are meant to be stropping in the middle of the strop, not on the ends, so you should be able to stay out of the gold with some effort. Photos?
Best wishes,
Matt

Clarifying whats going on;
Not stropping at the ends, stropping at the middle as I have two strops and do both exactly the same; one has gold leaf that gets all over the edges of my razors, the other one does not.
Don't care about preserving the gold leaf; could care less if its gone.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Clarifying whats going on;
Not stropping at the ends, stropping at the middle as I have two strops and do both exactly the same; one has gold leaf that gets all over the edges of my razors, the other one does not.
Don't care about preserving the gold leaf; could care less if its gone.
Does the gold interfere with shaving?

Merely a supposition here on my part. I'm thinking that just may be how that specific piece of leather could have reacted to the gold leaf application. I have seen a similar phenomenon with the insoles of shoes. Same pair of shoes, same leather insoles, the lettering and graphics on one insole pretty much wears away to nothing...the other remains very distinct. Perhaps one of those things I might guess🤷🏼‍♂️

That would be a little frustrating to me too. Not an inexpensive strop for the lettering to shed like that. Not sure that it is real gold leafing but either way some liquid polish would likely take it off your razor. But same stuff will kill an edge so anything around the bevel/edge you may have to hone off. Gold leaf and hot-foil for imprinting can really stick to stuff where you don’t want it sometimes.

I've been using the razors even with the gold leaf on it so not sure if its been interfering with the shave, but it could keep the blade not as keen which is why I am concerned.
Yes it is very hard to take off as the leaf sticks really well to the razor (and it seems the edge especially).

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
I've been using the razors even with the gold leaf on it so not sure if its been interfering with the shave, but it could keep the blade not as keen which is why I am concerned.
Yes it is very hard to take off as the leaf sticks really well to the razor (and it seems the edge especially).
But you have noticed no degradation in the shave, correct?

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Gold is very soft. At the apex, your whiskers will make short work of any that is clinging there. On the bevel face, it matters not one bit. First time you take it to your finisher or hit the balsa strop, it's gone. So if you don't like your Kanayama because it is "contaminating" your razor, I am sure I would love to take it off your hands. Then, problem solved and I have a second Kanayama.

Thanks all for the replies. Ill begrudgingly keep the strop and use it.
Slash, thanks for the offer, if I get tired of it I'll let you know...

It might be more fun to think of the gold leaf as a seal of approval much like old wax stamp seals on letters.

If having evidence of use on an item you've used is irritating enough you could color it back in with one of those gold pens.

Losing gold leaf ought to be seen as a rite of passage for Kanayama strop owners and users. Anyone that owns one of these strops and uses it knows the magic is in the leather itself. Anyone collecting one of these wouldn't be stropping on it.

I don't use my Kanoyama all that much because I'm always getting and restoring a new vintage so they're always in my bathroom, so I've seen no loss of gold leaf... but gold leaf is microns thick. It's not ever going to be a permanent thing if you flex or rub over where it's applied. I wouldn't give it a second thought if it started flaking off. As mentioned, if it bothers you, just rub it off completely.

My Kanayama arrived new with some of the gold leaf already gone from the bottom section. It was not a problem for me, as I do not expect the gold leaf to last.

My Kanayama 30000 just arrived and the gold leaf looks pretty intact. I did see a few tiny flakes on the leather but I'm not concerned. I'm looking forward to using it tomorrow.

Top Bottom