What's new

Kanayama Paddle Strop?

I'm in the market for a new strop. Preferably cordovan but open to other options. Looking to spend like $100 at the most.

Anyone used the kanayama paddle/loom strop? Seems like the best cordovan option at my current price point.

Let me know your opinion on the kanayama strop or what other options I should check out for around $100 or less.

I don't know that you can find a cordovan strop for $100. However, you ought to consider Tony Miller horsehide strops, which are within your price. The horsehide has a very light draw, but not glassy like cordovan.

Sorry if I was unclear. I'd prefer cordovan but I enjoy stropping on any type of draw or material.

Was considering a Tony Miller, they look great. I'm going to check out Griffith shaving goods.

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
I’m not sure what you mean WRT loom strops? I have one of the earlier strops mounted on a base. Be glad to post images.

im trying to get a kanayama too by its the #80000. what does the numbers means
I have read but cannot confirm that the numbers relate to the age of the horse and therefore the thickness of the hide. The more expensive ones are considerable thicker. I have also read that the more expensive ones don't produce better edges.

I agree with FXDX about edge quality. As long as the leather is strop quality (i.e. wont damage the edge), I don't think any leather strop will outperform another in terms of edge quality produced. Its all about the feel of the stropping process (both physically and mentally).

Indeed, the # rating is to do with thickness of the strop and sometimes length. I.E. 8000 and 9000 are very similar thickness, but 9000 is longer. 3000 is thinner, but still fantastic strop. Any kanyama will perform the same as another.

I recently purchased the 8000 because I WANTED the thick leather, the suede leather and the fabric part. I LOVE using this strop - it is an absolute joy. However, I can get exactly the same edge off my significantly cheaper and smaller dovo strop.

Top Bottom