What's new

Kanayama #30000 vs Kanayama #5260

Does anyone out there have both? If so, can you outline some of the similarities/differences?

How do they compare to Tony Miller strops?
How do they compare to Ambrose?

Thank you in advance.

EDIT: I guess I should mention that I'm in the market for another strop. I'm considering both of these, as well as considering an Ambrose Latigo/Horse or a Tony Miller Steerhide.

Last edited:
Nothing? Hmmm...

Tony Miller Steerhide vs. Ambrose Dual Leather Latigo and Horse vs. Kanayama 30000/5260??

I do not own the regular 3000 or the 5260. Saying that, from doing some research the 5260 had handles and is no longer made I presume, you would probably be able to find a NOS/deadstock from a Japanese web shop with the help of a Japanese speaker. Having said that, I did order and just receive this strop
proxy.php

The smooth leather is 3-4mm the second unfinished velvet leather is 5mm. Was purchased from http://aframestokyo.com/ The owner of the shop could possibly obtain different strop versions for you usually only available to the Japanese retail market? Another option to think about, sorry I can't help more.

Last edited:
Thanks, I did see that one, too, but there is no model #, but it too is an option, I suppose.

I'm more interested in how the draw differs from my Tony Miller Horsehide. I do like the handles of the 5260, though. I find them more comfortable to hold. but, barber's end is my second choice.

Too many choices.

the handles on the 5260 are nothing to write home about. they don't fit that well in the palm of my hand, but suffice to get the job done.
the leather is pretty thin compared to the 90K, maybe 1/3 of the 90K, and is pretty pliable.. however it is still luxurious and has nice draw, not sticky, but not fast

the 90K similar strop component (finishing leather vice mid leather) is much heavier thickness but has similar, if not a bit more draw. length i won't go into since the 90K is longer. it seems a bit more draw than 5260, but that could be in my mind.

having both, i seem to favor the 90K, but the 5260 is still pretty sweet. i haven't added any conditioner or oil to these strops so it's the original surface.

nether are a waste of money, but if you have a tighter budget for a strop, the 5260 is nice.

I see the 30K is even thinner than the 5260, The #30000 strop is 2.5 mm thick and the #50000 is just under 4 mm thick. The #5260 fits in between at 3.175 mm.

i don't know how much the 30K is, but i like the kanyamas a whole lot.

the handles on the 5260 are nothing to write home about. they don't fit that well in the palm of my hand, but suffice to get the job done.
the leather is pretty thin compared to the 90K, maybe 1/3 of the 90K, and is pretty pliable.. however it is still luxurious and has nice draw, not sticky, but not fast

the 90K similar strop component (finishing leather vice mid leather) is much heavier thickness but has similar, if not a bit more draw. length i won't go into since the 90K is longer. it seems a bit more draw than 5260, but that could be in my mind.

having both, i seem to favor the 90K, but the 5260 is still pretty sweet. i haven't added any conditioner or oil to these strops so it's the original surface.

nether are a waste of money, but if you have a tighter budget for a strop, the 5260 is nice.

I see the 30K is even thinner than the 5260, The #30000 strop is 2.5 mm thick and the #50000 is just under 4 mm thick. The #5260 fits in between at 3.175 mm.

i don't know how much the 30K is, but i like the kanyamas a whole lot.

Thanks for the info.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
I have a 30,000 and I have to say, it's one of the best piece of leather that I tried... Now, I never had a Tony Miller strop so I do not know how they compare. I tried an Ambrose strop and horsehide is different than the Kanayama leather... My preference go for Kanayama but, if I can't get it, I would probably switch to Horsehide... If that helps...

i literally just used the 5260 to get a quick physical feedback for you and i don't think length is really an issue. it's a sweet leather for sure. definitely like the feel of the draw...

I own a Kanayama 60K and TM horsehide and have owned many of Ambrose's strops. All I use now is the Kanayama. Best strop I've ever owned.

i haven't added any conditioner or oil to these strops so it's the original surface.

Don't!! :blink: From JimR's Eastern Smooth site:

Naomi-san recommends no oiling, as this can alter the strops finish deeply. Instead, if you feel the surface of the strop is dirtied, glazed or it isn't giving the edge you want, try this:
  • Lay the strop face-up on a flat surface.
  • Get a smooth, soft cloth, like an old clean t-shirt. Do NOT use terrycloth.
  • Wet the cloth in luke-warm water and wring it out well--the cloth should only be damp.
  • Gently wipe the surface of the strop in one smooth motion. Don't scrub or press! Be careful not to get any water on the sides or back of the leather, as this can lead to hardening.
  • Allow the strop to dry thoroughly. If the surface still feels like it's not quite right, repeat.
Please note: DO NOT use any commercial leather care products on these strops. Cordovan leather itself is not the same as most other leathers, and Kanayama leather even moreso due to the treatment developed by Naomi-san. Using products like saddle soap, lexol or others can destroy your strop.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Don't!! :blink: From JimR's Eastern Smooth site:

Naomi-san recommends no oiling, as this can alter the strops finish deeply. Instead, if you feel the surface of the strop is dirtied, glazed or it isn't giving the edge you want, try this:
  • Lay the strop face-up on a flat surface.
  • Get a smooth, soft cloth, like an old clean t-shirt. Do NOT use terrycloth.
  • Wet the cloth in luke-warm water and wring it out well--the cloth should only be damp.
  • Gently wipe the surface of the strop in one smooth motion. Don't scrub or press! Be careful not to get any water on the sides or back of the leather, as this can lead to hardening.
  • Allow the strop to dry thoroughly. If the surface still feels like it's not quite right, repeat.
Please note: DO NOT use any commercial leather care products on these strops. Cordovan leather itself is not the same as most other leathers, and Kanayama leather even moreso due to the treatment developed by Naomi-san. Using products like saddle soap, lexol or others can destroy your strop.

For what it's worth, I did use leather conditioner on the strop as I barely had any drag at one stage. I followed the instructions on Jim's website and it didn't make it any better. Since I added the conditioner, it's much much much better. But that's me... YMMV and if it's not recommended, do it at your own risks.

Thanks for all the feedback!

I went a little strop happy and picked up:

A Cordovan off the BST (thanks AlabamaLawyer)
A Tony Miller Steerhide (super smooth and beautiful)
and an Ambrose duel leather Caballo Negro and a textured Caballo Negro

The steerhide is like butter...velvety smooth, but with more draw than the horsehide...verrrry nice.
The Cordovan is very zippy and fast, nice piece of leather
(haven't received the Ambrose yet).

I'm also on the hunt let me know about the ambrosia. I'm look at all the same options.

I ended up ordering a Tony Miller Steerhide and an Ambrose Dual Leather Caballo Negro w/ Caballo Negro textured secondary (and I threw on a travel strop for traveling, naturally).

I may end up getting the Kanayama in the future (I think I would go with the 30000). We'll see.

Top Bottom