What's new

Kanayama #3 Llama Brand vs Fine Stars

Hi, I just received my #3 yesterday and I noticed the logo on the top of the strop says "Llama Brand" not "Fine Stars. Fine Stars is pictured on the Aframes Tokyo website. My question to the guys in the know, is there a difference in quality between the two or is it simply the same strop with different logos? On first glance the strop appears the same the only difference that I can see between what I received and the picture of the Fine Stars is the Kanayama stamp and #3 laurel is not as pronounced and barely visible. Thanks in advance.

I wanted to find out from you if the quality was of a lesser degree hence the different logo. I would then send it back to Takeshi and hold out for a Fine Stars. If you say no difference in quality then was I going to strop with it. Just making sure my purchase is sound that's all. Thanks.

I wanted to find out from you if the quality was of a lesser degree hence the different logo. I would then send it back to Takeshi and hold out for a Fine Stars. If you say no difference in quality then was I going to strop with it. Just making sure my purchase is sound that's all. Thanks.

I have an 80 000 and a #3. And a 6300 and a 2196. The 80 000 is a premium (for professional use) kanayama. It is only surpassed by the 90 000. The difference is the 90 000 is 2 inches longer.
While the 80 000 has a slightly more even thickness than the #3 the stropping surface is nearly identical to my eye. The suedes are also very close. I have suggested before that the #3 with a canvas on the side is almost an 80 000 for a good savings.

My 80 000 has a llama brand. My #3 has a fine stars. Greybeard has suggested that the various markings and numberings are done at the request of the retailers. Perhaps like TI razors. Since Llama is the marking that goes on the most expensive high end strops Kanayama has produced, I can't see any reason that you shouldn't be delighted.

cheers.

Last edited:
Thanks good to know I appreciate your knowledge. I'll move on and be content knowing I made a good choice thanks to Alfredo.

Man, I don't blame you for asking around and commend your deliberates and patients. What adisappointment to order, wait and receive an expensive “maybe” and not the obvious genuine article as advertised. I’m notsaying that these cats would send anything less but, sometimes a guy gets something that just doesn’t add up to what his hard earned and long squirreled away dollars purchased. What a let down that can be. It is good for you that this turned out. You could have found out three months from now that it was something different. Anyway, I suppose my rambling is saying that I’m glad I read this so I’ll know, when and if on that special day I open a packagewith a Number 3 in it.

I don't do well with gray area and abstract. I like up front and obvious.

I hope it is as nice as they are said to be.

Happy stropping.

Chasmo

Last edited:
Llama as I understand it is the older of the two labels. I recall seeing some "llama brand" vintage strops selling for a CRAZY amount (or what I considered crazy at the time) on eBay before I learned that Llama brand was Kanayama.

Seeing that most (all?) 80k's mentioned in this thread are Llama brand labeled, my GUESS would be that your strop was originally meant to be an 80k but they found some defect (probably didn't meet minimum thickness for 80k the full length or something) that got it bumped down to a #3 after they started stamping it. Like others have said, I'd consider it a good sign, not a bad one.

Last edited:
I,be had several 80 50 55 and two fine star 3 there is no differance what so ever, infact I like the 3 better due to slight less thickness.

gary

I love my #3 super nice leather had it for 5 years already it'll probably last a lifetime just rub it with your jands once in a while that's it no conditioners please your oil from your hands is more than good on these cordovan strops

Top Bottom