What's new

Kamisori vs. traditional straight razor

Legion

Staff member
I don't find a kamisori any harder to use than a regular straight. I do find them more of a challenge to hone to their full potential.

I have a hard time shaving with a western straight on my neck sideways and am hoping I'll be able to get a better angle with the Kamisori. It's the area under my jawline growing outward; I scythe it as best as I can, but still can't seem to get it like I do with my DE and a J-hook. Anyone have any experience with a Kamisori like this?

For what little it's worth, the insert that comes with a Henkotsu razor advises 15-ura, 3-omote ratio for honing. (Hard to believe I've brainfarted on omote/ura for so long)

I would love to start straight razor shaving with a kamisori vs a western style razor. Lots to read up on and my Japanese is abysmal.

I bought a kami recently from a member (thanks Sam). It is a treat to shave with: it has "bump rights" on the usual razor rotation. And I do find that it shaves the hard to get areas under my jaw line better than any of the westerns I use.

Top Bottom