What's new

Kamisori Travel Storage Solutions

Has any body got any good suggestions for travel storage for kamisori style razors and the Artist Club kami shavettes.
Feather make a head cover for the DX but how about all the other kami razors?

I don’t want to leave the exposed blade out in a strange bathroom.

How about a toothbrush protector (i think i daw some bigger ones) or maybe an old pill bottle/vitamin bottle with the lid sliced?

If your handy you could make a leather or material sleeve to put it in ?

I have also wondered which of the AC kamisori clones would accept either the DX or SS plastic cover, without it being too loose or too tight. I have seen an online photo of the DX cover on a CJB but never heard anyone here comment on this topic who has a variety of razors to try first hand. Personally I am interested in seeing if the DX cover would work for the Kai Excelia.

If the tolerances were just right a 3D printed Kamisori cover from FrugalShave might work, but I worry it would tend to pull the razor apart when it is removed or if inside a dopp kit where secondary movement was allowed.

Some gents have commented they just flip the blade upside down in order to protect it. That would work but it would get annoying if required before and after every shave.

I have also wondered which of the AC kamisori clones would accept either the DX or SS plastic cover, without it being too loose or too tight. I have seen an online photo of the DX cover on a CJB but never heard anyone here comment on this topic who has a variety of razors to try first hand. Personally I am interested in seeing if the DX cover would work for the Kai Excelia.

If the tolerances were just right a 3D printed Kamisori cover from FrugalShave might work, but I worry it would tend to pull the razor apart when it is removed or if inside a dopp kit where secondary movement was allowed.

Some gents have commented they just flip the blade upside down in order to protect it. That would work but it would get annoying if required before and after every shave.

That seems like it'd be safe and it's still less work than stropping a traditional straight before and after each shave. If the main concern is keeping the blade sanitary in hotel bathrooms, just leave it sitting in the dopp kit.

Following the inspired suggestion of @Seveneighth I made some kami covers by modifying plastic document spine binders.

First I widened the binder by forming it round a spoon handle and pouring boiling water over it.
2168DBA2-80AA-4FDA-BDDC-7ABD3E6C2BBA.jpeg

Then I inserted a piece of foam rubber halfway down to support the neck of the razor and give blade clearance.
858164C9-367D-4664-9AE2-15F32767AF89.jpeg

Then it simply clips onto the kami to make an excellent travel cover:
3ACB0F98-A9A6-4AC3-AF71-188A350F9454.jpeg

Following the inspired suggestion of @Seveneighth I made some kami covers by modifying plastic document spine binders.

First I widened the binder by forming it round a spoon handle and pouring boiling water over it.
View attachment 886229

Then I inserted a piece of foam rubber halfway down to support the neck of the razor and give blade clearance.
View attachment 886230

Then it simply clips onto the kami to make an excellent travel cover:
View attachment 886231
Haha - excellent - that takes it to a whole new level. It's all in the execution - impressiive.

I like your solution @mjclark, my only concern is whether the blade might bottom out or slide laterally if the encompassing travel bag was given rough treatment. Probably not, but I would like something that could stand up to mishandling.

I have thought about something like this to store a few AC blades for travel, to avoid carrying the whole container. Where the primary goal is to protect the unused blade. Here it is repurposed as a kamisori travel sleeve. Admittedly this is pretty lame but perhaps a better version could be made from thin plastic (like from a flexible cutting board) and glue, though some internal side layer might be need to be added to achieve the goal of nothing ever being able to touch the cutting edge. This example is made from folded over pasteboard stapled to create a pocket.
cbj-kamisori-razor-cardboard-1.jpg
cbj-kamisori-razor-cardboard-2.jpg

How about the simplest of all....dont travel with a blade in it. If i do decide to bring mine i just simply buy some blades from the drug store/wallymart/target then replace it everyday with a new one.....voila....no travel case or blade protection needed.

How about the simplest of all....dont travel with a blade in it. If i do decide to bring mine i just simply buy some blades from the drug store/wallymart/target then replace it everyday with a new one.....voila....no travel case or blade protection needed.
Wow! Does your drugstore sell Artist Club blades?

My concern is leaving the blade exposed in the hotel room - I wouldn’t want to use an Artist Club Blade for only one shave either: that would be the height of decadence :)

My concern is leaving the blade exposed in the hotel room - I wouldn’t want to use an Artist Club Blade for only one shave either: that would be the height of decadence :)
Nope but they do sell the usual stuff and i then dont feel guilty tossing in a new one every shave :001_005:

That's my kind of decadence!

If I'm having a bad day I throw out my contact lenses early and swap in a new Feather Super Pro into my SS. I'm that kind of rebel - it's the small things...

Nope but they do sell the usual stuff and i then dont feel guilty tossing in a new one every shave :001_005:
I’m in UK and the shops only sell DE blades which wouldn’t work for the AC kamisori that the OP is about.
But it’s a really good suggestion for when I’m flying and can’t take blades in the hand luggage.
And yeah I wouldn’t mind tossing a modern DE after only one shave either!

That's my kind of decadence!

If I'm having a bad day I throw out my contact lenses early and swap in a new Feather Super Pro into my SS. I'm that kind of rebel - it's the small things...
Ha ha - that’s like the opposite of the Excalibur Club :)

Top Bottom