What's new

Kamisori Straight Razor Guidance Sought.. Please!

Greetings to all!

Just when I have pretty much mastered DE Wet Shaving I decided to enter the world of the Beard.

In the past I have tried to grow one with dismal success. But now that I am in my mid 60's I am a beard growing machine!

I have always wanted to try my hand at Straight Edge/Cutthroat shaving and this may be just the time to keep the edges trimmed and the surrounding areas clean.

I have been searching for a cost effective alternative to the Feather Artist Club Razors and their Safety Blades.

After some research, I came across this Kimisori folding straight edged razor advertised as being similar to the Feather Artist Club Razors

A... Your opinions please as well as any and all information you would like to share!!!

B... Do these take the actual Feather Safety Razor Blades or do they use their very own brand of Safety Blades and if so could you Please provide a link to them on eBay so I can purchase both items as a set?

Blessed Be 🙏

0&ssspo=MaCwXYcDRUG&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=Hlov6cxwQYu&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=MORE all!

Legion

Staff member
That looks like a feather clone that has been made to take the feather style blades. I am not an expert on such things, but I think you would be quite safe to assume the feather brand blades fit in that.

Greetings to all!

Just when I have pretty much mastered DE Wet Shaving I decided to enter the world of the Beard.

In the past I have tried to grow one with dismal success. But now that I am in my mid 60's I am a beard growing machine!

I have always wanted to try my hand at Straight Edge/Cutthroat shaving and this may be just the time to keep the edges trimmed and the surrounding areas clean.

I have been searching for a cost effective alternative to the Feather Artist Club Razors and their Safety Blades.

After some research, I came across this Kimisori folding straight edged razor advertised as being similar to the Feather Artist Club Razors

A... Your opinions please as well as any and all information you would like to share!!!

B... Do these take the actual Feather Safety Razor Blades or do they use their very own brand of Safety Blades and if so could you Please provide a link to them on eBay so I can purchase both items as a set?

Blessed Be 🙏

0&ssspo=MaCwXYcDRUG&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=Hlov6cxwQYu&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=MORE all!
This seems to be a Feather SX clone. It should fit all the artist club style blades. My favourite being the Proline blade.
It is probably a good starting razor. However, you can also find good deals on Feather SX, or an SR.
If you are new to this there are also beginner friendly guarded blades (Feather pr guard blade)

You can also get more information at ;

Last edited:

Hello Ron! I’ve not used a Feather razor but I’ve held my friend’s Feather SR Kamisori and it felt well made and sturdy with a nice grippy handle. He got it from eBay from a Japanese vendor, which worked out cheaper than getting it from the UK, even after factoring in shipping and customs. It may be worth looking around for some deals if your budget allows it.
If you’re considering cost effective options, it may also be worth considering getting a traditional kamisori that has been honed to shave ready and then maintaining it with a leather strop/pasted balsa strops/lapping film. This way you wouldn’t be paying for blades in the long term, as long as your don’t mind stropping etc.
Apologies if this didn’t directly address your question about the razor you posted, I thought I’d give an alternative opinion :smile1:

Thanks to you all for taking the time to help me out!

After my post I was able to confirm that the razor in question does indeed take the Feather Artist Club Safety Blades. Razor has been ordered from eBay and the blades from Amazon.

While it seems that once again the Chinese have done a masterful job of reverse engineering and created a quality clone of the Feather Pro Artist Club Razor, not so much for the blades as the image I was able to pull up looked like self sacrifice and Tetanus in a box.

Any reccondications on a good instructional video shaving with this type of razor?

There was not a photo on the auction listing looking straight down the nose, but I might think this is most like the Feather SS. In any case it should be a decent razor to use, letting you try out different Artist Club blades from Feather or other vendors. You should be able to use it like a traditional straight, keeping it as flat as you can as you start learning. The SS shaves less aggressively than other models such as the DX, but there is a similar learning curve.

I have never used one of these, but I have been told they shave very well, but are not as forgiving as a regular straight razor. I ended up just getting a superbly honed straight razor instead, when I was looking at these.

That said, I might end up with one of these one day. They are more expensive than a regular quality straight razor and blades have to be replaced. A regular razor only costs the initial cost and can be sharpened on inexpensive lapping film.

There are some good videos on how to use a straight razor and the technique is similar. Lay the razor flat on your face and lift the spine one thickness off of your cheek. Carefully make short strokes that are only wide enough for half the blade length. Don't try to use the entire blade width or you may cut yourself. Use little to no pressure until you get the hang of it and know what is needed for each area of your face and neck. Just make short strokes, not long ones.

Looks like a nice Feather AC clone. I started my journey with a Feather AC and watched an older video by geofatboy. Just found this newer video - looks pretty good:

Please let us know what you think about the build of the razor you ordered.

I should add that using the Feather did not last long. After a couple of weeks, I bought my first traditional straight. Oh yeah!

I've owned both the Feather SS and a clone from Aliexpress, and they are very, very close.

The only significant difference, other than price, is the material: the genuine razor is stainless steel and the clone is plated Zamak (pot metal).

So, the Feather will last for generations, and the clone may only last.....? Still, it is an inexpensive means of trying the format.

As recommended by others, if you do decide to buy the genuine item, I would buy from a seller in Japan. I just purchased a new, genuine, wood-handle Feather DX on ebay for $135 including tax and shipping to the US. That is less than half the price of the least expensive US vendor. And it only took 4 days to arrive at my door after it was handed to the shipper.

Top Bottom