What's new

Kamisori Silver Blade Artist Club Razor

Until last week I didn’t know that the Kamisori Silver Blade razor existed - its a rival to the Feather DX and Kai Captain and when I saw it online I of course had to have one!
285E1B5E-17DE-432E-A1F2-CFA3FA92784F.jpeg

Kamisori are a hairdressing suppliers who also make a non-folding Kai Captain clone and another non-folding Artist Club razor called the Tanken which has the same head as the Silver Blade.

The head of the Silver Blade is very similar to the Monsieur Charles/Coolcut 9 shavettes for injector blades - one side slides out and has nubs which fit into the blade cutouts and the whole thing is held in place by a spring on the spine.
ED19CBCF-A071-41BB-9311-1164913757D9.jpeg

The blade exposure is more than the Kai Captain and about the same as the Feather DX but unlike them the sides of the head are slightly convex.
I’m not sure if this creates a skin stretching effect but for sure the Silver Blade is very very smooth across the face.

The Silver Blade is in the same price bracket as the Kai Captain but the scales are a bit less substantial and the heavily chromed head looks a bit cheaper too but it feels fantastic in the hand, really well balanced and manouverable and for me a superb shaver.
It’s really good to see another folding Artist Club razor!
C0198B27-BB2C-4A9F-AADF-265D96B4AA60.jpeg

Interesting find! Thanks for the review.

No materials listed on the site, so I’m assuming because it’s chromed that it’s zamac?

Kamisori western style shavette...there’s a contradiction for ya! :001_tongu

Interesting find! Thanks for the review.

No materials listed on the site, so I’m assuming because it’s chromed that it’s zamac?

Kamisori western style shavette...there’s a contradiction for ya! :001_tongu
Yeah I’m guessing zamak. It’s good heavy chrome plating though.

The Silver Blade weighs a couple of grams less than the Kai Captain and the head profile is noticeably narrower which might explain why it’s so nimble:
F3510252-FB05-44A7-B54C-89DFFD896D98.jpeg
2FE4C031-721C-4011-8468-A174E2E68650.jpeg

I’m very pleased to discover that the position and size of the nubs inside the head of the Silver Blade also allow it to take the standard Schick style 38mm injector blades.
It’s good to have options :)

I’m very pleased to discover that the position and size of the nubs inside the head of the Silver Blade also allow it to take the standard Schick style 38mm injector blades.
It’s good to have options :)

That's interesting to know. I have a small supply of Injector blades.
All my Injectors now have Twin blades in them, so, I'm left with some single blades that I don't have much use for.
The Tanken looks appealing as I don't have a Kamisori style razor in my den yet.

Did you get the razor directly from their website? I'm thinking there will be import taxes to the UK to worry about.

That's interesting to know. I have a small supply of Injector blades.
All my Injectors now have Twin blades in them, so, I'm left with some single blades that I don't have much use for.
The Tanken looks appealing as I don't have a Kamisori style razor in my den yet.

Did you get the razor directly from their website? I'm thinking there will be import taxes to the UK to worry about.
I actually got mine from a private seller on eBay.
The first time I was aware that the Silver Blade Razor even existed was when I saw the listing.

A second shave with it last night was just as good as the first and for me this razor is a real discovery.

It’s well made although the build quality is definitely a step down from the Feather and Kai.
And the narrower convex head profile actually makes this the very best shaver of any Artist Club razor that I’ve used.

Coming back to the Silver Blade after a couple of weeks confirms how much I like it.
I definitely prefer it to the Feather DX and the Kai Captain which is a real surprise since they are both higher end razors in terms of fit and finish.

The weight, balance, grip and head profile of the Silver Blade are just right - it feels perfect and handles beautifully.
The shave this morning was a real pleasure:
316A8E00-DD0E-44C0-9DBD-8F23B213F4D4.jpeg

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Interesting addition. I've not used any kind of non-safety AC, but maybe down the road I will. They are very interesting razors.

Thanks for finding another brand and type. It would be interesting to know what the razor is made of.

Happy shaves,

Jim

I've recently developed an interest in straight razors, and have been using a Feather Artist Club SS on days when I don't have time for the stropping and drying involved with a classic straight.

The SS gives a great shave and seems more forgiving than a traditional straight and I like it a lot.

I have been obsessing over the wood handled Feather DX but choking on the price. How does the Kamisori Silver Blade compare to the Feathers (SS and DX) and the Kai Captain Standard?

--Bob

I've recently developed an interest in straight razors, and have been using a Feather Artist Club SS on days when I don't have time for the stropping and drying involved with a classic straight.

The SS gives a great shave and seems more forgiving than a traditional straight and I like it a lot.

I have been obsessing over the wood handled Feather DX but choking on the price. How does the Kamisori Silver Blade compare to the Feathers (SS and DX) and the Kai Captain Standard?

--Bob
Hey Bob! Good to here from you.
I’m spending most of my time these days with shavettes and straights too.

If you’re proficient with the SS then the DX, Kai Captain and Silver Blade will all be a step up - they don’t have the pressure bump that the SS has so they all have a wider range of effective angles.
The Kai has less blade exposure - a Pro Super in the Kai Captain only has the same exposure as a standard AC Pro in the DX and Silver Blade - so the Kai Captain is a smoother and more forgiving shave.

And the QC on the Feathers and Kai is outstanding - they are both beautiful objects.
The Silver Blade is not quite as good and has a chromed alloy head but it is still very well made.

I have small hands and a light (yet assertive!) grip and I find the Kai and Silver Blade feel better in my hands than the DX which is quite heavy and formidable in comparison.

So:
DX - heavy, big blade exposure, powerful shaver, outstanding QC

Kai Captain - well balanced, smaller blade exposure, very smooth, very good QC

Kamisori Silver Blade - perfectly balanced with great grip, big blade exposure, very manouverable, chromed alloy head.

I think the choice comes down to whether you prefer heavier assertive razors or lighter responsive ones.
Personally I like the Silver Blade best because of its combination of big blade exposure, excellent balance and manouverability.

If you’re proficient with the SS then the DX, Kai Captain and Silver Blade will all be a step up - they don’t have the pressure bump that the SS has so they all have a wider range of effective angles.
The Kai has less blade exposure - a Pro Super in the Kai Captain only has the same exposure as a standard AC Pro in the DX and Silver Blade - so the Kai Captain is a smoother and more forgiving shave.

And the QC on the Feathers and Kai is outstanding - they are both beautiful objects.
The Silver Blade is not quite as good and has a chromed alloy head but it is still very well made.

I have small hands and a light (yet assertive!) grip and I find the Kai and Silver Blade feel better in my hands than the DX which is quite heavy and formidable in comparison.

So:

Kamisori Silver Blade - perfectly balanced with great grip, big blade exposure, very manouverable, chromed alloy head.

I think the choice comes down to whether you prefer heavier assertive razors or lighter responsive ones.
Personally I like the Silver Blade best because of its combination of big blade exposure, excellent balance and manouverability.
Great summary - perfect description of the differences between the razors with which I am familiar.

So:

Sorry for the delay in responding.

Thanks for the info - exactly what I needed to know. Looks like there will likely be a Kai Captain in my future, and I'll hold off on the DX . . . at least for now.

--Bob

Top Bottom