What's new

Kamisori shaving issue

Well here’s the issue. I have a traditional kamisori and based on conventional ideology you’re only supposed to shave with the unstamped side (Omote) contacting the face. Well I just can’t do it! I wind up using both bevels as if it were a non folding feather AC & it works fine. I don’t understand how someone that’s shaving themselves is only going to be able to shave with the Ura facing out at all times. Any thoughts?

I have had several kamisori’s and was told from the get go that one should shave with it the traditional way which is the omote side against your face as you describe but you can use both sides you just have to change the angle a little, Jim Rion that had a blog running for many years ( Eastern Smooth )was a traditionalist and believes you should use the Kami one way and one way only but I just had a really hard time and the other part was I just could not warm up t using one and it was extremely shave ready, not sure why but I had several and just never liked them so just gave up.

Here is Jim

Thanks for the video & input. I think I’ll keep using both sides. Sometime back a B&B member had an Iwasaki razor made with a symmetrical hollow grind but I’m sure it was super expensive. But again I’ve had better luck disregarding traditional use.
Also what was your experience honing kamisori razors Will?

You can also order kamisori blades that are ground the same on both sides. Jerry Stark makes them, and so does Brian Brown, for example.

From what I understand, back in the day, kamisoris were never used for self-shaving. They were usually use by a wife shaving her husband's face or by a barber. In that instance, the asymmetrical design wasnt an issue.

I’ve heard similar claims which would explain the need for a symmetrical design for using one on yourself. I liked the Brian Brown kamisoris on his website a lot.

Here is a video of Alex honing one, some use a 10:1, 7:1 or 5:1 ratio on strokes, I used a 7:1 and got a decent edge but just could not warm up to the blade, very heavy grind like a wedge and I just prefer full hollows.

M

member 119848

I shave with a shavette, and always with my right hand.
Most of you must be switching hands when shaving the other side of the face.
I noticed that by using my technique, I always use one side of the blade. So it could be the traditional way of shaving with a Kamisori (by using the same hand)... It could explain why there ´s one side only.

yep, if you're going to be a hardcore traditionalist, you'll need to get a manservant or a womanservent (I guess I'll need to see source documentation that women shaved their men) I guess to shave you with the omote.

or just keep doing your thing.

Last edited:
I never mastered my traditional Kamisori, but remember there spots that were very difficult to get at using the one-side-only shave approach. Too difficult for me when attempting a three pass shave.

How I was taught to shave was one handed single pass keeping the razor facing the same way all the time. The idea is the fewer passes, the more skilled you are and you can in theory shave the whole face without lifting the razor from it. My Grandfather demonstrated this to me once. Whilst I don't use a kamisori it's actually easier with a western straight to hold it like a kamisori.

I shaved this way this morning as I was in a hurry. I lifted the blade between strokes.

Here are the strokes for a right handed shaver.

1. Centre of neck diagonal to let jaw / ear (toe to ear edge up)
2. Ear to mouth across left cheek. (toe pointing upwards)
3. Top lip, left to right (same)
4. Bottom lip right to left bringing razor round (starts toe to foor, ends toe to sky)
5. See-saw razor across chin left to right
6. Mouth to ear across right cheek (toe to sky) as you approach the right ear sweep the razor over so that edge is down and toe points to right ear, finishing stroke by shaving down the sideburn (toe to right ear)
7. Sweep the razor round until it is inverted and shave from ear down right hand neck to Adam's apple, sweeping across under the chin to finish with a flurry! (toe pointing over right shoulder ending up inverted to floor)

I hope this helps (and makes sense).

Kamisori were not traditionally intended to be used by the person to be shaved but by another person shaving the one being shaved. When shaving oneself, it is more convinient to use the other face of the blade on some parts of the shave. The kamisori will shave with both ura and omote faces.

Well here’s the issue. I have a traditional kamisori and based on conventional ideology you’re only supposed to shave with the unstamped side (Omote) contacting the face. Well I just can’t do it! I wind up using both bevels as if it were a non folding feather AC & it works fine. I don’t understand how someone that’s shaving themselves is only going to be able to shave with the Ura facing out at all times. Any thoughts?
A kamisori is made purely to shave someone else. In which case you would only use the non stamped side.

Mmmm I thought I would have a go at making a kamisori. Stainless. Works very well. Nimble too.

Attachments

• IMG_20200405_123837.jpg
    IMG_20200405_123837.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 54
I am strongly left-handed but manage to shave using a right-handed Iwasaki Swedish Steel kamisori and a right-handed vintage Iwasaki Tamahagange kamisori, with a combination of using either the Ura (stamped) side or the traditional Omote (unstamped) side next to my face. I also use a sweet little kamisori with a symmetric grind made by Tony Milton (www.japanese-razor.com) at his forge in Cornwall, UK, using Suminagashi Shiro II Steel (he also makes symmetric kamisori using 1095 Damascus Steel and 01 Tool Steel).

Top Bottom