What's new

Kamisori Razors

Good evening B&B family! I’m considering buying a kamisori razor, but would like to be an informed consumer BEFORE I buy. Pray tell, how do you even hold it? Is a DE Kamisori preferred over a fixed edge? How does one go about honing and stropping? What of storage? I’d appreciate any advice!

Attachments

• 593A027A-8C6D-4C71-AFF4-58812C343CBA.jpeg
    593A027A-8C6D-4C71-AFF4-58812C343CBA.jpeg
    256.3 KB · Views: 22
Youtube is your friend here. Honing is different because of the asymmetric grind, stropping is the same. I am a pretty good honer, not great by any means. Kamisori are a tough hone for me. Just an fyi.

It sounds like you might want to do some research for a bit. There are no double edge kamisoris that I am aware of and like most straight razors just one edge. They typically have an asymmetrical grind (like a chisel or plane) and are said to be intended to use with only one side facing out.....however they can be used either way and it is the only way I have ever used them. You hold them by the handle. Honing can be a little tricky with some but at the end of the day just honing to sharp. Some need to be worked on one side more than the other but depends on quite a few things. Most store them in a box where the edge doesn’t touch anything.

I don't have one, but have read that because of the chisel edge, you hone one side more than the other.

But I do own a Artist Club SS in the kamisori style. Professional blades. Gives great shaves and will tell you whether you like holding a razor kamisori style. I do.

Good evening B&B family! I’m considering buying a kamisori razor, but would like to be an informed consumer BEFORE I buy. Pray tell, how do you even hold it? Is a DE Kamisori preferred over a fixed edge? How does one go about honing and stropping? What of storage? I’d appreciate any advice!
If you use a japanese kamisori (as opposed to a western kamisori with double bevel) you end up using a the same hand for both sides of the face because it is a single bevel, however, you will find it very easy to maneuver, and perhaps easier in the learning curve as well

regarding honing, you work a lot less on the "flat side" to protect the edge, the advise above on youtube is a good one

Top Bottom