What's new

Kamisori honing angle

I found when I turn them around I nerd an almost flat against the face angle on it trys to dig in no comfort. But i do use them both ways. Just gotta watch them closely.

I've honed more than a few, they get plenty sharp but sometimes it takes more work than imagined to get there. The steel is way different than expected usually, and can be much harder with greater wear resistance. Often, the geometry on the Omote is so bad that it needs to be hollowed out. Another issue with clad steel can be rusting between the Jigane/Higane which in turn creates swiss cheese. And sometimes, it's just a matter of staying on the 1k for a lot longer than one might think. Bevel angles can be bad on heavily worn blades, so that's another issue also.

So what is the best way to hollow the omote ? I tried a Dremel with sanding drum, which worked but looked messy, then went to a piece of dowel wrapped with 220 sandpaper, and that seemed to be much more controllable with no heat issue to watch out for.

So what is the best way to hollow the omote ? I tried a Dremel with sanding drum, which worked but looked messy, then went to a piece of dowel wrapped with 220 sandpaper, and that seemed to be much more controllable with no heat issue to watch out for.

Ski-sen
cache_2471725081.jpeg

But there is a guy in the UK who restores kamisori that has this tool and will we do the hollowing. Not sure where one would find such a tool.

Top Bottom