What's new

Kamisori 1:1 Honing Ratio - Another False Idol Falls!

I’m one of those radical modernists who uses both hands and shaves with both sides of the blade when using a kamisori.
IMO this is a logical extension and development of the living tradition as it moves into 21st Century Western Culture.

So why not just hone the blade 1:1 Ura/Omote?
The normal objection to this is that a 1:1 ratio will quickly wear the jigane of the Omote completely flat which makes further sharpening almost impossible.
But the Omote side is a soft near-wedge isn’t it?
So I just treated honing in the Omote side like I’d treat a Sheffield wedge by lifting the spine slightly when honing like the Sheffield cutlers did - of course they didn’t have electrical tape in the 1860s.

Also since I am touching up the edge in pasted balsa every shave I don’t expect to take this razor back to the stones any time soon.

So I put this Iwasaki through a normal honing progression using a 1:1 ratio and lifting the spine when honing on the Omote.
The result is very good indeed.
D7075DD5-0CC0-4551-8C27-E109FE2FC03B.jpeg

When I first encountered Kamisori I thought that I would have to shave one-handed with only one side of the blade to the face at all times and it would require discovering the obscure honing ratio appropriate to that blade.
All respect to the people who maintain and recreate that old traditional use of these beautiful razors.
But here in the 21st Century I can use both sides of the blade and hone it like a Dovo (as long as you lift the spine on the Omote!)
Hurray - it’s a lot easier than I thought.

I hear ya! I have a few kamis but never felt the need to use one regularly. I have no issue getting a great shave with a western straight. Not knocking those that do use them however.

MJ
I am with you on both of your points and pretty much everything in between. For a few months now I have been using Kapton tape on my kamisori with ever increasing success at reducing spine wear on both the Omote and the Ura side. By doing this it has all but eliminated the fear of wearing down the omote's landing and hollow and given me a chance to go at each side of the kamisori with as many strokes as it takes to fully hone both sides. I have concluded that that number of strokes for each side is not important and what is important is just fully finishing both sides until the bevels meet. Thank you for your revealing post.

Alx

kelbro

Alfred Spatchcock
Alex makes a great point. Putting a layer of tape on there will save you a lot of wear. They are soft. Look at the examples on eBay that are worn out.

Question since I am not a kamisori guy and dont shave with one.
You state that 1:1 is frowned upon because it will wear the omote side faster due to the softer steel. I always thought that when people hone kamis with a ratio e.g. 7:1 it means 7 strokes on the omote, 1 stroke on the ura. If that's correct then wouldnt the ratio of 7:1 wear it down faster than 1:1?

thx

Question since I am not a kamisori guy and dont shave with one.
You state that 1:1 is frowned upon because it will wear the omote side faster due to the softer steel. I always thought that when people hone kamis with a ratio e.g. 7:1 it means 7 strokes on the omote, 1 stroke on the ura. If that's correct then wouldnt the ratio of 7:1 wear it down faster than 1:1?

thx
What you say makes complete sense.

Thinking about it the danger of a 1:1 ratio should be more about wearing the Hagane of the Ura too flat which is irretrievable once it’s happened.

But on the other hand I always feel like I do more overall laps to achieve sharpness with a 1:1 ratio - perhaps because the Hagane is exposed from the Jigane more slowly that way - so the danger of flattening the Omote is still greater.

In either case definitely lifting the spine or taping is the way forwards with a 1:1 ratio for ambidextrous shaving.

A lot of the charm/fun of using one is the chisel sort of grind and how brutally sharp you can get the thing honed in ratios

There is no 'danger' in honing a Kamisori however anyone wants to.

Yes, the standard ratios, including 7:1 (and others), were Omote:Ura 7 on Omote, 1 on Ura. The idea was/is to pull back the soft iron on the Omote and leave a generous portion of the Hagane exposed and then to create almost a single bevel edge, more like a single bevel edge with sort of a micro bevel on the inside actually. Not unlike, say - a Deba. The inside being the Ura, or hidden side. Japanese swords - Nihonto - are discussed with these same terms actually; when the Katana is worn, the Ura faces the belly, the Omote faces your opponent. The Kamisori (a right handed one) was purpose built for a right handed barber to shave another person. The Ura would always face the barber. While the words ura/omote can be used indiscriminately in common conversation - here, with a tradtional Japanese edged tool - Ura and Omote are used rather specifically, and the usage speaks to tradition, rituals, style and teachings.
Like most traditions though, not everyone adhered to the Kamisori game plan 100%. Plus, time passes and things change. At some point, owning Kamisori became 'normal' for the regular guy. Same thing happened here in the USA, men did not always own their own razors... but then all of a sudden it was normal to do so.

When I hone a Kami, I will watch the progress and inspect the edge and Omote often. I have been known to start off honing with a high ratio and ending with 1:1 on the finisher. I usually start off on a 5k or a Coticule. I haven't had to use tape on one, or practice any special gymnastics either. But I did have had to regrind one once due to the previous owners attempt to assassinate the Omote.

Top Bottom