What's new

Kai vs Feather blades. What is better?

So I started my shaving by just buying 100 Astra SP's, because they seem to be pretty well regarded on this site, and because they were very cheap. I've determined at this point that I like my blades sharp. I have gotten my smoothest shaves so far (with the least irritation) using the sharper blades. I bought some blades off tryablade, and I had 2 feathers and 1 Kai blade.

I usually get 2-3 good shaves out of an Astra before it starts to tug a little. With the feather I got 4 solid shaves. I just had my 5th shave on a Kai blade today, and it was just starting to tug. What would you recommend of those? Is it worth it to spend $45 on 100 Kai blades? That seems a bit extreme to me given that my Astra only cost like $12. Feather are somewhere in between around $25.

Thoughts?

If you have only tried those three blades, Kai, Astra, and Feather, then you have tried too few blades to commit to buying a 100. Especially the Kai at $45 per 100. At least try some of the Gillettes (Silver Blue, 7 O'Clock Silver Platinum), Personna Lab Blues, or their Med Prep blades before committing to a 100.

Feather are going to be easier to source. As far as better, neither as both are exceptional products.

if you want to try something GOOD and different grab some Indian Black O'clocks.... Now that is one fine blade.

proxy.php

I like both Feather and Kai. I'd probably give the edge to Feather. My go-to blade is either Gillette Silver Blue or the Personna Lab blues.

Feather are going to be easier to source. As far as better, neither as both are exceptional products.

if you want to try something GOOD and different grab some Indian Black O'clocks.... Now that is one fine blade.

proxy.php

+1 on the 7 O'clocks. Good blade. Also, try the Gillette Silver Blues.

I was disappointed when I tried Kai blades. I like Astra enough to buy a hundred, but I only get two, maybe three shaves per blade until I feel that dreaded tugging.

For me, Feather blades are a step up. But my all-time favorite, my desert-island blade is now Gillette SB.

Nothing is more personal than blade selection, unless maybe fragrance choice. So there really isn't a "better." Dealer's choice.

With an aggressive razor, Kai isn't a very good performer...but it becomes a lot smoother with a somewhat milder razor. I find that the Feather is a little more "compatible" with a wider variety of razor, but seems to work best with a mild to medium razor/setting.

I dunno. It doesn't make much sense to me to evaluate blades without accounting to the razor.

You should also try Polsilver Super Iridium and Gillette rubie platinum plus if you prefer sharper blades.

If you have only tried those three blades, Kai, Astra, and Feather, then you have tried too few blades to commit to buying a 100. Especially the Kai at $45 per 100. At least try some of the Gillettes (Silver Blue, 7 O'Clock Silver Platinum), Personna Lab Blues, or their Med Prep blades before committing to a 100.

This is good advice. One of the pleasures of DE shaving is the ability to fine tune your experience.

That being said, I just went all feathers after a few years of Gillette 7'0 blacks and polysilver. I love Kai's as well. Really sharp but stiffer than feathers. Kai's feel more like a good SE blade. But I can't justify th price difference to make them a go to (I always have some around ) I also keep some Astra s when I want a very mild shave. But feathers are my faves

I picked up 100 Kai blades 25 Feather blades. Personally, I found Kai to be slightly smoother, but Feather to be slightly sharper. Kai *might* have a slight edge on durability.

However, my favorite is Personna Med Prep, which I purchased 250 blades to split with another guy. I found them to be slightly sharper than the blues and had similar smoothness (if not slightly smoother) than blues.

Seems the sharper, the more expensive and also less smooth.

Some sample packs carry premium blades. Individual 5-pack samples are also worthwhile.

+1. Lots of good options IMO!

Good thoughts so far. I've tried GSB and Polsilvers, and didn't care for those as much. I got a great shave from the GSB, but they left my face feeling sort of burnt. They didn't leave red bumps or major irritation, just a little razor burn. Polsilver to me seemed somewhat dull and rough feeling. Had several skips and a nick even with a brand new blade.

Good thoughts so far. I've tried GSB and Polsilvers, and didn't care for those as much. I got a great shave from the GSB, but they left my face feeling sort of burnt. They didn't leave red bumps or major irritation, just a little razor burn. Polsilver to me seemed somewhat dull and rough feeling. Had several skips and a nick even with a brand new blade.
If you're still experimenting and are considering buying some 5 packs rather than committing to bulk purchases at this time (as was suggested up-thread), you might consider Merz' SmallFower online store. They have the blades discussed here in this thread, in-stock in 5 packs, for $1.50-3.00 a pack, and economy shipping is $2.95 for razor blades. I once had 12 or 13 packs in my cart, and it still showed shipping at $2.95! So if you load-up, you're basically able to buy retail priced 5 & 10 packs and get them shipped for not a lot more than Chicago's nearly 10% local retail sales tax.

I grabbed maybe 15-18 individual packs of the blades commonly discussed on this forum for 35 bucks, split over two occasions. Of those on my list, the only brand they didn't have in stock was Sputnik and one I other, but I don't remember which.

I have no affiliation, other than being a happy customer.

If you're still experimenting and are considering buying some 5 packs rather than committing to bulk purchases at this time (as was suggested up-thread), you might consider Merz' SmallFower online store. They have the blades discussed here in this thread, in-stock in 5 packs, for $1.50-3.00 a pack, and economy shipping is $2.95 for razor blades. I once had 12 or 13 packs in my cart, and it still showed shipping at $2.95! So if you load-up, you're basically able to buy retail priced 5 & 10 packs and get them shipped for not a lot more than Chicago's nearly 10% local retail sales tax.

I grabbed maybe 15-18 individual packs of the blades commonly discussed on this forum for 35 bucks, split over two occasions. Of those on my list, the only brand they didn't have in stock was Sputnik and one I other, but I don't remember which.

I have no affiliation, other than being a happy customer.

Awesome. I think my girlfriend has gotten me something from them. Appreciate the heads up I may want to try 5 or so and decide from there. They also have the cheapest price I've seen on 100 Kai blades too, which is nice.

Awesome. I think my girlfriend has gotten me something from them. Appreciate the heads up I may want to try 5 or so and decide from there. They also have the cheapest price I've seen on 100 Kai blades too, which is nice.
Whoa, I didn't know they had KAIs that low. They're $48 a 100 ($24/50) on Amazon with Prime. They were also $2.95 for a 5 pack that I just got from Merz' in-store recently, which also struck me as a pretty decent price.

I'm looking for something a little more aggressive in my DE89 than my current Astra SPs, so I can't wait to try them!

If you ever find yourself in Chicago, try to stop by the store. Every soap & cream there has a tester, so you can check-out how you like the scent and texture before buying, and they've got a public demo sink by the soap section so you can see how they lather-up too. They'll let you linger for hours, because the guys on the Q Bros side are hobbyists & DE wet-shavers themselves.

Last edited:
Top Bottom