What's new

Kai Stainless Blades: My Saga Continues

So here's my dilemma: I have a love/hate relationship going on with Kai blades and I'd like some advice, please.

THE HATE: Everything started with my Merkur 38c. At first I really liked the Kai, a lot. Then, for whatever reason, I started getting really bad post-shave irritation from the Kia, bad enough I retired the blades because I really, really hate post-shave irritation. The irritation I get from the Kai isn't the angry red splotchiness I normally associate with a rough shave, it's that my face feels raw; running my hand across my face - like I would to just generally check how the shave is feeling - is a decidedly unpleasant experience. When I was using the Kai in my 38c, this raw feeling lasted pretty much all day. It was serious enough I would wait an extra day before shaving again, just to give my skin time to heal. Now I'm using a Rockwell 6s and I'm going through all my fav' blades again and decided to give the Kai another whirl. With the 6s/R3 the Kai was a bit better behaved. I still had some of the rawness but it was less intense and passed after a couple hours.

THE LOVE: So you may be wondering if the Kai is killing my gorgeous face, why I am still considering it. And the reason is pretty simple: the Kai gives me a shave unlike any other blade I've tried. My face isn't just smooth, it's smooth as glass; it's as if my face never had beard growth to begin with... I wish it was easier to put this into words because the Kai shave really does feel different. Even Mrs. Wogus noticed how different my face felt after using it. In short, it's an awesome shave! This is the shave I want every time... BADLY!! I just want it without having to suffer the wrath of the Kai.

So in short, I'm perplexed. I've only been wet shaving about six months or so and I'm hoping for some direction to help me sort this out. I don't know if I can expect the kind of shave the Kai gives from a different blade, if I should try a milder plate on the 6s (e.g. R1, R2) or just throw in the towel and get over the Kai altogether. The idea of experimenting with who knows how many blades to try and find another blade that does what the Kai does isn't the most appealing option but I'd be willing if that's the general consensus. By way of comparison I've found happiness with Nacets, Lab Blues and Crystals, even if none of them give me the same "magical" shave the Kai does.

Any input appreciated.

How many shaves do you use them for? Is the feeling the same on shave 1 or does it only get irritating on shave 6?

There are a lot of missing factors. Cleanliness of your gear? Is your soap/cream actually what is irritating because the Kai may be leaving you with more microscopic cuts than other blades for bad stuff to get in to? Are you utilizing an aftershave to kill bacteria? A balm for soothing?

I find that the Kai is also in my top 2 blades (Nacet being the other) and I don’t experience what you are experiencing. I do not have sensitive skin though, and use very luxurious slick lathers and nice alcoholic post shaves to kill any bad stuff.

Thank you for your reply...

How many shaves do you use them for? Is the feeling the same on shave 1 or does it only get irritating on shave 6?
Starts with the first shave. I've never made it shave six on a Kai.

There are a lot of missing factors. Cleanliness of your gear? Is your soap/cream actually what is irritating because the Kai may be leaving you with more microscopic cuts than other blades for bad stuff to get in to? Are you utilizing an aftershave to kill bacteria? A balm for soothing?
Since I only experience the irritation when using the Kai, specifically, I think it's safe to assume the blade is the culprit. My overall shaving routine is pretty simple and doesn't vary in any significant way: I have one soap I'm using at the moment (Stirling Sheep), I use an alum block after a cold water rinse and either Proraso (white) or Nivea ASB post-shave. As far as general cleanliness goes, my bathroom is no surgical suite but my razor and blade get rinsed, dried and hung after each shave. I feel confident in saying if this was bacterial issue there would be other indications.

Thank you for your reply...

Starts with the first shave. I've never made it shave six on a Kai.

Since I only experience the irritation when using the Kai, specifically, I think it's safe to assume the blade is the culprit. My overall shaving routine is pretty simple and doesn't vary in any significant way: I have one soap I'm using at the moment (Stirling Sheep), I use an alum block after a cold water rinse and either Proraso (white) or Nivea ASB post-shave. As far as general cleanliness goes, my bathroom is no surgical suite but my razor and blade get rinsed, dried and hung after each shave. I feel confident in saying if this was bacterial issue there would be other indications.

Yes I’d say that the quality of products that you are using are wonderful. Unfortunately it just sounds like it’s not a match made in heaven.

Your experience reminds me of my personal experience with Personna Israeli reds. They give me the closest shave of all blades for a silky smooth face, but the trade off is that the shave is uncomfortable and irritating after the fact. I’m very lucky that Nacets and Kai blades for me give me almost as close shaves without the irritation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have you tried a pre-shave? I really like Kai blades, Feather and Nacet next. Do you have a lot of Kia's, will trade if you need to move.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Kais are very good; among the best. Japan, Seki City etc.

But it's always the combo of blade + razor. If you love the blade, try it another razor.

AA

I don't know if I can expect the kind of shave the Kai gives from a different blade...
The Kai is a tad wider than most blades so you are getting more blade exposure with them. It seems they are giving you razor burn which is to be avoided. The Feather may be a good alternative but chasing BBS is not advisable.
By way of comparison I've found happiness with Nacets, Lab Blues and Crystals, even if none of them give me the same "magical" shave the Kai does.
Try GSB, Gillette Platinum or 7 O'Clock Super Platinum (from India).

Judging by the info you’ve provided, it seems to me that you’d be best served by moving on. I’ve so far used over 50 different blades and honestly only 2 or 3 are what i’d consider “top tier.” Most are good to very good, some are awful and a select few are really great. I think if you order a big sampler pack and give each blade a couple shaves, you’ll find one or two that’ll give you Kai results with no after burn. I’d also recommend keeping the Kai around as a benchmark for when you find another blade you like. Memory has a funny way of making us think something was better (or worse) than it actually was. If nothing else, it’s fun to try new blades. Best of luck!

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
So here's my dilemma: I have a love/hate relationship going on with Kai blades and I'd like some advice, please.

THE HATE: Everything started with my Merkur 38c. At first I really liked the Kai, a lot. Then, for whatever reason, I started getting really bad post-shave irritation from the Kia, bad enough I retired the blades because I really, really hate post-shave irritation. The irritation I get from the Kai isn't the angry red splotchiness I normally associate with a rough shave, it's that my face feels raw; running my hand across my face - like I would to just generally check how the shave is feeling - is a decidedly unpleasant experience. When I was using the Kai in my 38c, this raw feeling lasted pretty much all day. It was serious enough I would wait an extra day before shaving again, just to give my skin time to heal. Now I'm using a Rockwell 6s and I'm going through all my fav' blades again and decided to give the Kai another whirl. With the 6s/R3 the Kai was a bit better behaved. I still had some of the rawness but it was less intense and passed after a couple hours.

THE LOVE: So you may be wondering if the Kai is killing my gorgeous face, why I am still considering it. And the reason is pretty simple: the Kai gives me a shave unlike any other blade I've tried. My face isn't just smooth, it's smooth as glass; it's as if my face never had beard growth to begin with... I wish it was easier to put this into words because the Kai shave really does feel different. Even Mrs. Wogus noticed how different my face felt after using it. In short, it's an awesome shave! This is the shave I want every time... BADLY!! I just want it without having to suffer the wrath of the Kai.

So in short, I'm perplexed. I've only been wet shaving about six months or so and I'm hoping for some direction to help me sort this out. I don't know if I can expect the kind of shave the Kai gives from a different blade, if I should try a milder plate on the 6s (e.g. R1, R2) or just throw in the towel and get over the Kai altogether. The idea of experimenting with who knows how many blades to try and find another blade that does what the Kai does isn't the most appealing option but I'd be willing if that's the general consensus. By way of comparison I've found happiness with Nacets, Lab Blues and Crystals, even if none of them give me the same "magical" shave the Kai does.

Any input appreciated.
Stop chasing a BBS, it is over rated. I use to strive for a BBS and found it nice when I hit the mark but to get to that level you have to scrap a little skin off to reach it. I get more BBs shaves now than when my main focus was getting it daily goal it seems when I first started shaving. If I get a shave in a certain range CCS,DFS,BBS I am happy because I know I,m close but not overly. I shave daily and a person knows it is a close shave the day prior if the next day there is not much there, I do not like the sandpaper feel so I like to shave daily, also my prior jobs it was mandatory to have a clean beard for SCBA in the plants.
The Kai blade will get you a clean shave with one less pass if time is a concern, most of my shaves are 2 pass with pickups and my irritation and weepers are almost nothing.
I also like to feel my beard about 1/2 to 1 hr later to determine were my shave rating lies not when I'm actually shaving because you will pickup little unknowns and keep stroking you skin with the razor to get what ever it was . Use a balm and it will increase a BBS feel if that matters because it will hydrate the skin and bury the stubble for a short period of time.

Last edited:
Kai blade again tonight, 4th use in a RR GC .84 SB, very light pressure, excellent shave. Be sure your using very light pressure, may be time to move on.....

glad i read this thread... I've been using Nacets almost exclusively for years (with the occasional feather thrown in). I recently picked up a couple of sample packs to check out other options and Kai's are in there. I've never used them before. I shave every 3-4 days with a Timeless Ti .95 OC. I also just ordered a .95 scalloped plate that hasn't arrived yet. I think I'll try the Kai with the new base plate first. :)

I think I'll try the Kai with the new base plate first.
No, just bung that Kai into the Timeless .95 OC.
What could possibly go wrong? (or, in other words..."here, hold my beer and watch this").
Seriously though, I've used Kai and Feathers in my Timeless OC .95 and .68.
Shaved beautifully.
Used Kai blades in the stainless Karve #F SB plate too. Absolutely fine.
Maybe just a skin 'thing' with you. Some razors/blades don't suit everyone.
Your soap is great...are you making a nice lather with it though? Not too wet, not too dry, etc?

Any input appreciated.
Try a shave using baby or body lotion applied generously as you would a shaving soap or cream -you won't get any irritation

Any input appreciated.

I used a Kai for the first time on Monday of this week, in my Rockwell 6s on plate 4, which is my default razor. Although my lower neck can be sensitive, it gave me a lovely shave; very close and comfortable, with only a little redness mid-day. That was with three days growth. Yesterday, I used the same blade on the same plate, and although it wasn’t a terrible shave, it was noticeably poorer. I was a little surprised as I’ve read the Kai can sharpen up on the second use. Prep was the same for both shaves, with the PAA Cube 2.0.

The best shaves I’ve had with the 6s on plate 4 have been with Bolzano, Feather and Nacets. And I find for my skin, it’s best if I use a blade twice, occasionally three times, before swapping it out.

A lot of shavers recommended Personna Israeli Reds - on my skin, I never got a good shave! (Personna Lab Blues were a different story.) So the best advice is to repeat what @Ron R and @Invicta say, and don’t suffer to achieve the BBS. Go for clean and comfy, and if a BBS comes along, enjoy it. And as @Iron Paw said, sometimes a certain combo just doesn’t suit your unique skin!

As for balms, I can recommend Myrsol Emulsion - I’ve always used Proraso or Nivea balms, but now only finish with the Myrsol, as I enjoy how it goes on, and the gently scent. And straight after shaving my face, before balm and before I do my skull shave, I use Witch Hazel, and find I seldom need to use an Alum block.

Happy shaving! 😁😁😁

As has already been pointed out, the Kai blade is wider so it is more aggressive due to the extra blade exposure. Try the R2 plate on your 6S to compensate and see if you get the results that you are looking for.

Kais are very good; among the best. Japan, Seki City etc.

But it's always the combo of blade + razor. If you love the blade, try it another razor.

AA

+1! Definitely worth trying Kais in a few razors!

For example, I am not a fan of Feather blades (another highly-regarded Japanese option), UNLESS the Feather blade is paired with a Feather AS/D2 (truly a match made in heaven)! :a29:

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Stop chasing a BBS, it is over rated. I use to strive for a BBS and found it nice when I hit the mark but to get to that level you have to scrap a little skin off to reach it. I get more BBs shaves now than when my main focus was getting it daily goal it seems when I first started shaving. If I get a shave in a certain range CCS,DFS,BBS I am happy because I know I,m close but not overly. I shave daily and a person knows it is a close shave the day prior if the next day there is not much there, I do not like the sandpaper feel so I like to shave daily, also my prior jobs it was mandatory to have a clean beard for SCBA in the plants.
The Kai blade will get you a clean shave with one less pass if time is a concern, most of my shaves are 2 pass with pickups and my irritation and weepers are almost nothing.
I also like to feel my beard about 1/2 to 1 hr later to determine were my shave rating lies not when I'm actually shaving because you will pickup little unknowns and keep stroking you skin with the razor to get what ever it was . Use a balm and it will increase a BBS feel if that matters because it will hydrate the skin and bury the stubble for a short period of time.

^^^^^ Huge +1 ^^^^^

Great advice! :thumbup:

Top Bottom