What's new

KAI SS VS Gillette Sputnik, DE Blades

Have you ever used either of these blades.

• KAI SS(extra wide blade)DE blade.

Votes: 21 87.5%
  • Gillette Sputnik DE blade.

Votes: 8 33.3%
  • Have you used the KAI SS blade to increase blade feel and better efficentcy?

Votes: 13 54.2%
  • Do you believe a wider blade is much better than shimming a mild razor by increasing blade gaps?

Votes: 9 37.5%

• Total voters

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
KAI SS Blade.jpg Everready show down betwwen the 1924 Shovel head and the 1914 Little lather catcher (3).jpg SPUTNIK blade.jpg

I have always been on a quest for a wider DE razor blades to increase blade feel or blade exposure. I recently bought a razor head that uses 4 corner posts to align the blade properly while tightening down the razor blade(different way of blade alignment).
My Kai SS extra wide blade works 99% of time in razors with tradition alignment posts or riser slots with grooves for DE standard blades but for some reason KAI manufacturing made narrow Blade tab widths for the KAI SS blade narrower. So I came across a chart a fellow put together many years ago using digital Vernier's for measuring and recording DE blades, he indicated the Sputnik blade were wider than normal standard blades and the Sputnik was very close to the KAI SS Extra wide.
I ordered a few tucks recently hoping that they would have standard wide blade tabs but also larger blade width but that is not the case.
Gillette bought the Sputnik blade line brand many decades ago and changed every thing to standard Gillette blade dimensions is what I'm concluding & that the prior Sputnik blades brand before Gillette bought them out they where slightly wider but now are just a standard Gillette blade dimensions if folks are curious.
(Here is the Chart I'm referring to and I made some small changes so not to confuse any one hopefully).
Blade dimensions DE 2.5.jpg

Have some great shaves!

Last edited:

Ron R

I just got my Sputnik blades in and I still have my Machinist Micrometers so I did some careful measuring to get a reasonable accurate measurement. The edge of the blade is so finite & flimsy so a I had to just gently feel the edge touch and take a few more measurements to confirm the accuracy as best as I could.
(Photo below confirms the newer Sputnik blades are Gillette standard dimensions compared to the Kai SS blade.)
KAI SS VS SPUTNIK 2.6.jpg

Have some great shaves!

Ron R

DE SOTD, Thursday, April 13th 2023

Razor : Yaqi Sentinel polished 1.5mm gap, 316L SS + Yaqi polished Chippendale 316L SS Darwin looking handle- mild razor to tame mid range depending on blade used. Mfg 2022>, Very similar to the Personna BB0, LA BB1 razors, Machining and finish QC OK, top cap inside is machine finished. The alignment works excellent with Gillette standard sized blades with the 4 corner posts similar to Gillette tech razors. I used a Kai SS blade this morning and the Kai blade end tabs are narrower than a Standard Gillette blades (not sure why Kai made them narrower) so I had to make sure alignment was close enough for my morning shave. Kai works excellent in 99% of my razors but there are few it has to checked manually for now.
Blade : Kai SS (5) sharp & smoooth + excellent longevity. This blade is wider than a Gillette standard blades by 9/1000 of inch or .0045" per side, it gives a razor a boost with slightly more blade feel but nothing over the top of that spectrum. One of my favorite blades for mild razors.
Soap : Razorock XXX Fresco, nice XXX clean scent with a touch menthol + excellent lather qualities.
Brush : Yaqi "black marble" 24mm silvertip badger, excellent lather generator, heavenly pillow like soft tips, excellent gentle splay scrubber + great lather painter. This knot is High Density and blooms nicely on first cleaning, it is one of the nicest gentle scrubbers for a badger I have used!
Pre shave : (Dedicated Cashmere synthetic)Brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser with a dollop of clear Aloe Vera on the cleaned beard area.
Prep : Cold water rinse after each pass of 2 + pickups. WTG + ATG + pickups.
Post shave : Razorock XXX Fresco:001_wub: with slight menthol with witch hazel + a dollop of CeraVe moisturizing lotion(scentless).
Results : 1-10 dial - Copy (2)2 template 10.jpg or CCS,DFS,BBs + no irritation + no weepers=:a17: Excellent shave this morning with my Yaqi Sentinel 1.5mm gap razor with a Kai SS extra wide blade.
SOTD April 13 2023.jpg

Have some great shaves!

This is a very timely as I just got my Sputnik blades as well and have one loaded up for Saturday's shave!

Darn, I wonder when that Sputnik was measured as being wider? It never made sense why they would do that, would require a different machine setup for one blade type.

Ron R

This is a very timely as I just got my Sputnik blades as well and have one loaded up for Saturday's shave!

Darn, I wonder when that Sputnik was measured as being wider? It never made sense why they would do that, would require a different machine setup for one blade type.
I'm in the same boat as what your thinking about width of blade. When Gillette (P&G) took over the Sputnik brand they converted everything to Gillette standard blade dimensions at the modern St Petersburg plant many years ago is one of my conclusions or the measurement is slightly off is another conclusion.

Ron R

Talking about Kai SS DE blades there is another mystery for myself, they had this thing about having a few different dimensions then some of the Gillette standard blade dimensions, they got a lot of the dimensions close enough but the blade width is wider than a Gillette standard blade + the blade tab width is narrower by about 27/1000 of a inch(.027") or (.68mm). The Kai works well in about 99% of most of my razors other than the 4 corner post razors(manually eye the blade evenly).
The Gillette tech razors are still OK with the Kai SS blade because they still used the old method of centering the blade with alignment stub risers usually on the top cap with matching grooves or voids to take the Gillette standard dimensions of DE blades. So when the Gillette patents expired the blade manufacture competitor's keep these dimensions to sell blades and not perturb customers who had Gillette razors is my way of thinking other than a few manufactures who wanted proprietary blades for their brand of razors like so many other razor manufactures prior until Gillette came out with their NEW blade design (Gillette introduced it in 1930's after many legal battles coping another blade by manufacture Probak blade about patent infringements with inventor Henry Gaisman owner of Valet auto-strop also , the 2 company's eventually merged after Henry Gaisman won in court a $30+ million dollar lawsuit and he eventually took over Gillette as chairman of the board).

Ron R

I like photo's to help explain things if possible so I was doing my own research a while back and made some simple photo's of the Kai blade issues and many strengths we all enjoy with this blade.

DE Razor BladeWRTMTTRWWRLTWTLCEWCELRLCWCLCESCDDDIKWDWOKW
Astra Superior Platinum390.5040.0900.00321.950.1042.7212.682.874.6436.9935.572.1136.07F5.044.956.276.296.33
BIC Chrome Platinum150.5570.1000.00421.890.0542.9412.682.944.6137.0735.702.1536.15A5.034.996.316.336.36
Derby Extra160.5030.0900.00321.970.1242.9312.702.934.6337.0735.672.1936.10A5.085.016.346.346.36
Derby Extra (Pre-2016)150.5580.1000.00621.970.1142.9412.692.934.6437.0735.682.1736.09A5.055.016.326.336.35
Gillette 7 O'Clock Super Stainless620.5060.0910.00221.970.0542.7212.682.864.6536.9935.572.1236.08F5.044.966.276.306.33
Kai00.5640.1000.00222.180.0343.0411.993.055.1036.9435.642.1435.98F4.935.006.256.276.28
Shark Super Chrome140.5270.0940.00521.940.1442.9412.662.934.6437.0835.702.1936.08A5.064.986.

Kai SS compared to a Gillette silver blue blade end tabs. (3).jpg

Have some great shaves!

Ron R

DE SOTD, Friday, April 14th 2023

Razor : Razorock 2nd Generation Lupo.72, 316L stainless steel- Mfg Jan 2021>, excellent mid range, machining and finish QC are excellent, this razor works well under the nose area and the sweet spot angle is wide so audio feedback helps tell the person he is still shaving whiskers. I get excellent shaves with this razor for the last 2+ years and is top of the razor rotation. It just works well, it might not be a daily shaver for some folks with sensitive skin issues but for most folks it could be or folks who shave intermittently it would be a good choice IMO. First use of a Sputnik blade in this razor, testing for performance.
Blade : Gillette Sputnik Teflon coated(1) Sharp & smooth, I bought a few tucks thinking they where a wider blade by a chart I found but they are not. Oh well thought I had better at least try them out for some shaves to see how they perform, like most Gillette blades the Sputnik did not disappoint!
Soap : Ogallala Bayrum sage and cedarwood, nice Bayrum scent with excellent lather qualities.
Brush : Yaqi "Mysterious space" 24mm silvertip badger, Excellent lather generator, heavenly pillow like soft tips, nice splay scrubber + excellent lather painter.
Pre shave : (Dedicated Cashmere synthetic)Brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser with a dollop of clear Aloe Vera on the cleaned beard area.
Post shave : Ogallala Bayrum & sandal wood + a dollop of CeraVe moisturizing lotion(scentless).
Results : 1-10 dial - Copy (2)2 template 10.jpg or CCS,DFS,BBs + no irritation + 1 blemish weeper=:a17: Excellent shave with my RR Lupo.72 with a Gillette Sputnik Teflon coated blade.
SOTD April 14 2023.jpg

Have some great shaves!

Gillette 365 are also wider than most blades. Since I always look from below the head to see blade exposure, it is quite noticeable in my mild razors like Techs and Super-Speeds. There is a thread where this has been discussed and I even wrote the measurements.
The last question on the poll is basically "more blade vs more exposure", since blade width will increase exposure and not gap.

Ron R

Gillette 365 are also wider than most blades. Since I always look from below the head to see blade exposure, it is quite noticeable in my mild razors like Techs and Super-Speeds. There is a thread where this has been discussed and I even wrote the measurements.
The last question on the poll is basically "more blade vs more exposure", since blade width will increase exposure and not gap.
It is fascinating that 2 years later I'm still talking about the Kai SS blade, I found that thread you mentioned about measuring the 365 blade. :detective: :popc:
[IMG alt="ivan_101"]https://xfdata.badgerandblade.com/avatars/m/85/85668.jpg?1606080325[/IMG]

ivan_101

Do you have some digital Vernier calipers to measure one with, I do not have the Gillette 365 blade or I would do just that.
I have measured the Kai SS blade to confirm it's .009" thousands of inch difference compared to a Astra SP blade.
My calipers show 0.87 inches for 365, but I don't know how precise they are. They are just a cheap digital plastic model off aliexpress. Around $5 IIRC.

It is fascinating that 2 years later I'm still talking about the Kai SS blade, I found that thread you mentioned about measuring the 365 blade. :detective: :popc:
[IMG alt="ivan_101"]https://xfdata.badgerandblade.com/avatars/m/85/85668.jpg?1606080325[/IMG]

ivan_101

My calipers show 0.87 inches for 365, but I don't know how precise they are. They are just a cheap digital plastic model off aliexpress. Around $5 IIRC.
Darn it, strike two! I got all excited and pulled one of those out even though I don't remember them feeling wider. Thanks for confirming that.

Ron R

Darn it, strike two! I got all excited and pulled one of those out even though I don't remember them feeling wider. Thanks for confirming that.
You could have a daily double with the Gillette Sputnik and the Gillette 365 blade by doing half the face with one blade and changing out and doing the other side and make a conclusion on what you enjoyed the most!

I find this most interesting, thank you for posting. I ideally use a Kai blade though slightly different than the statement in your poll. I use Kai for more efficiency. Ideally, for me, there is not increased blade feel with increased efficiency. Or at least that what I look for. The Kai is an excellent blade.

Ron R

Vintage April + DE SOTD, Saturday, April 15th 2023

Razor : Gillette Rocket Super Speed, British variant- Mfg 1950's, mild range, this razor is built to last and gives a nice close shave with Standard Gillette blades I have found. Mostly carefree shaving with no issues. I like this using this razor once in a while and I was happy to find it 5 years ago at a antique store in Central Alberta Canada.
Blade : Gillette Sputnik Teflon coated or PTFE (2) sharp & smooth longevity?. Bought these thinking they where a wider blade but they are not when compared other Gillette standard blades. The Sputnik blade performs well like so many other Gillette blades I have used over the years. (Still testing blade for longevity)
Soap : Ogallala Bayrum & Sandalwood- very nice scent of Bayrum with some sandal wood + excellent lather qualities.
Brush : Yaqi" Lucky dice" 26mm tuxedo knot, excellent lather generator, cloud like soft tips, nice splay scrubber + excellent lather painter. Nice brush handle for folks with large hands IMO + great Tuxedo knot.
Post shave : Witch hazel beard cleanse + Ogallala Bayrum & sandal wood:001_wub: + a dollop of CeraVe moisturizing lotion(scentless).
Results : 1-10 dial - Copy (2)4 template 9.jpg or CCS,DFS,BbS + no irritation + no weepers=:a17: Excellent shave with my Gillette Rocket SS with a Gillette Sputnik blade.
SOTD April 15 2023.jpg

Have some great shaves!

I happened to select the Sputnik for my shave today. I don't know if this is vintage or Gillette made. It was a wonderfully sharp blade. There was certainly more blade feel using the Sputnik, bit it gave a very nice shave. I compared it visually to a Gillette 7 O'clock Black for width, & couldn't see a difference when stacking the two blades on top of each other.
IMG_5466.jpg IMG_5465.jpg

Ron R

I happened to select the Sputnik for my shave today. I don't know if this is vintage or Gillette made. It was a wonderfully sharp blade. There was certainly more blade feel using the Sputnik, bit it gave a very nice shave. I compared it visually to a Gillette 7 O'clock Black for width, & couldn't see a difference when stacking the two blades on top of each other.
View attachment 1638666 View attachment 1638667
You are correct in your assumption of more blade feel. I just got some older Sputik blades in today and did some measuring and of course tool some photo's to confirm your blade feel as correct.

Last edited:

Ron R

I just received a larger shipment of Sputnik blades today and of course had to see if there is any difference from Old to New Sputnik blades and there is.
The old Sputnik blades with the ink printing are wider and the packing is different and they fit my Yaqi Sentinel razor excellent so very happy camper today!
The packing of the new blade has a small razor blade in the top left corner of tuck and the blade is lasered etched on one side only.
The packing of the old blades are is similar but all the printing is in all Russian and are double wrapped with ink printing on both sides. I bought mine a West coast shaving on sale recently!
So the chart above is confirmed as accurate when stating they are wider than a standard Gillette blade. Tab width is stand Gillette width also.
The width are almost identical to the Kai SS DE blade so for folks who want a little extra blade feel or blade exposure look for the ink printed blade and tuck packaging should be all in Russian is my conclusion.
Will give these Old Sputnik blades a test for a few days to see how they perform .
Old Sputnik VS KAI SS.jpg

The packing is different also as shown below.
New VS Old packing of the Sputnik blades! 2.jpg

Have some great shaves!

Top Bottom