What's new

Kai PINK: blade longevity?

Eben Stone

Staff member
Do the Kai Pink blades really have better longevity compared to the other Feather AC format blades? I have Feather AC Pro, super, and Schick Proline, and they are only lasting me 3-4 shaves. I'm interested in something with better longevity. Can anyone give me some numbers? Thanks.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
I don’t shave more than once every couple weeks, but my Kai has lasted for months on a 2 pass regimen. Blade longevity can be extended by using lower angles and scything strokes so you are slicing the whiskers vs chopping at them. YMMV. Personally I don’t think they last much longer than Feathers.

I get the same 3-4 shaves with the Kais. I find them more forgiving when pushed, but they aren't as sharp as Feathers. I can see how some people get 6-8 if their beard is less coarse.

I have thick coarse beard and can get 12 shaves out of Kai Pinks with shallow angle shaving. I could probably extend it beyond that but I’ve not tempted fate.

Last edited:

Eben Stone

Staff member
I have thick coarse beard and can get 12 shaves out of Kai Pinks with shallow angle shaving. I could probably extend it beyond that but I’ve not tempted fate.

Average beard and get 10-12 shaves.

How many shaves do you get from Feather Pro/Super/Schick Prolines/etc?

The pink technology/treatment is supposed to "increase the blade hardness by 70% compared to conventional products." What conventional products are they comparing to? I'm sure other brands do something similar.

The only other AC blade I’ve tried is the Schick Proline and I could never last beyond 5 shaves before irritation.

I do clean and hand strop the Kai blade between shaves, FWIW.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I was over at Connaught UK and they have some 50mm AC blades Pro Shaves made in Japan and are platinum coated and they might be a good alternative to pricy AC Feather blades or Kai blades even if a person get only 3 or 4 shaves. They are kind of a new product and hardly any information on them. Mail takes about 3 weeks but it does not cost a lot and Connaught UK are a good online company to deal with even in these difficult times. With strong USD its a bargain IMO.
With my Kai Protouch (pink blade)I get 6-7 good shaves and that's it. Gem Personna SS PTFE I can get 10 good shaves.

Top Bottom