What's new

Kai is similar to which Russian Gillette?

Uh to start with a Kai is larger as a gilette so it gives more blade edge exposure in any razor. So there is never a direct comparison.

For the rest maybe a nacet or a gillette 7 o clock black.

But imho different especially on blade life which for me is longer for a Kai.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Like mentioned already by @Ivo4u2 the Kia SS blade is a little wider than a standard Gillette blade by .009 or .0045 thousands of inch per side giving more blade feel, Kai is great blade and I use it razors that need a little more blade feel.(beats a shim IMO)
The only blades than come to mind are the Gillette Nacet or Gillette 7 0clock super stainless, the Kai SS might have a little more longevity IMO(pricier). Blade Review #6.3 June 26th 2020 (3).jpg

I know of no other blade, whether from Russia or elsewhere, that has the same geometry as Kai. If there is another blade with the same dimensions, I would certainly like to hear bout it.

Like mentioned already by @Ivo4u2 the Kia SS blade is a little wider than a standard Gillette blade by .009 or .0045 thousands of inch per side giving more blade feel, Kai is great blade and I use it razors that need a little more blade feel.(beats a shim IMO)
The only blades than come to mind are the Gillette Nacet or Gillette 7 0clock super stainless, the Kai SS might have a little more longevity IMO(pricier). View attachment 1229930
I have noticed in many of my razors the Gillette 365 is wider than the other blades I use and gives more exposure.

Ron R

I have noticed in many of my razors the Gillette 365 is wider than the other blades I use and gives more exposure.
Do you have some digital Vernier calipers to measure one with, I do not have the Gillette 365 blade or I would do just that.
I have measured the Kai SS blade to confirm it's .009" thousands of inch difference compared to a Astra SP blade.

Do you have some digital Vernier calipers to measure one with, I do not have the Gillette 365 blade or I would do just that.
I have measured the Kai SS blade to confirm it's .009" thousands of inch difference compared to a Astra SP blade.
My calipers show 0.87 inches for 365, but I don't know how precise they are. They are just a cheap digital plastic model off aliexpress. Around $5 IIRC.

Ron R

My calipers show 0.87 inches for 365, but I don't know how precise they are. They are just a cheap digital plastic model off aliexpress. Around $5 IIRC.
That is close to a Kai SS width all right. On my calipers it is reading for a Astra SP .862 inches width. A Kai blade is reading .871 inches width or .009 thousands of a inch difference.

The key
Having good luck with Yellows now. Have used a few Russians in the past and Lab Blues/Med preps.

I know of no other blade, whether from Russia or elsewhere, that has the same geometry as Kai. If there is another blade with the same dimensions, I would certainly like to hear bout it.

I don’t think there is a Russian analog.

+2! That’s my experience as well! :thumbup: :thumbup:

Most blades are a few hundredths of a mm shy of 22mm wide. Kai blades are 22.18mm wide (per the wiki). That's a huge difference in blade exposure, the primary parameter influencing razor efficiency/aggressiveness. Kai will dramatically increase the efficiency of any razor.

The widest blade I've seen from the Gillette factory is the Sputnik which clocks in a 22.2mm. That's as wide as a Kai. They're sharp as heck just like most PPI blades. I've never measured them with a micrometer though, so I can't vouch for the measurement cited below (22.2mm), and I've never used them side by side with Kai. I'd be curious to hear from anyone who has compared these two side by side.

At any rate, it might be fun to try them out to see if you like them as much as Kai.

Kai is unique due to dimensions.

There are multiple good other blades, I think a lot are better: Russian Gillettes (any), persona Israel.

Top Bottom