What's new

Kai DE Blades

So kind of what I'm getting from this is that Kai is "just another blade". Feather blades stand alone because of their sharpness. Pol-silver blades enjoy a cult status for their smoothness. But there's nothing that particularly sets the Kai blade apart other than its price. Would you guys say that's accurate?
As mentioned a few times its additional width increases exposure compared to other blades. Whether that's worth something is up to the consumer. At more than 2x the cost of any other blade I use the answer is no for me, if I want to mess with exposure/rigidity can always use a shim with a 9 cent blade.

Feather stands alone only for initial sharpness. They very quickly lose that and become just another blade while other blades increase in sharpness with use.

Sent from my LG-US998 using Tapatalk

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
So kind of what I'm getting from this is that Kai is "just another blade". Feather blades stand alone because of their sharpness. Pol-silver blades enjoy a cult status for their smoothness. But there's nothing that particularly sets the Kai blade apart other than its price. Would you guys say that's accurate?

Personally, I really like Kai blades in the razors I previously listed. There are other blades that match up better in other of my razors (for example: Fatip razors and Bolzano blades).

What I would take from this discussion is that:

1. The blade and the razor form a 'system'. The trick is to put together a synergistic system.

2. Blades are very much a YMMV situation. The only way you will know whether or not YOU will like a particular blade in YOUR razors is to pick up a couple and try them for yourself.

3. Everyone has their own opinion based on their own biases and needs. Read them, understand them for what they are but never substitute someone else's opinion for your own experiences.

And these are just my opinions and YMMV. ;) :)

Not at all accurate for me and nothing could ever be truer than that blades are a YMMV thing. That said, here's my personal bias on the matter. KAI is my favorite blade and to me they are worth the $35 per hundred, though I wish they cost less.

How do I love thee, KAI? Let me count the ways:

- nearly as sharp as a Feather, and/or the extra (side to side) width increases blade exposure and therefore perceived sharpness. Either explanation is fine with me. On my skin KAI is a ninja weapon in the Feather camp, and slightly sharper than a Nacet
- due to the increased side to side width and therefore greater blade exposure, I get wonderful tactical and audible feedback from KAI. The noisiness and hand feel may not be some people's cup of tea but I love it.
- I get a reliable 4-5 shaves from a KAI, vs 2 for a Feather and 3-4 from a Polsilver
- While being in the Feather camp for slicing ability (though not quite a Feather), KAI is also a smooth and forgiving blade. It's extremely unusual for me to get any kind of nick, cut, weeper, or razor burn from a KAI. A KAI is entirely drama free on my skin; I can shave with blurry morning eyes and my mind on other things when I use one.

How do I not love thee?

- Yeah, I don't like paying $35 per 100, but they do last a pretty long time!

The other blades that round out my top 5 are all Gillette: Polsilver, Nacet, Silver Blue and Platinum. I guess I think of KAI and Polsilver being my two top blades. I have 1,000 Polsilvers and 300 KAIs (and 200 or so of each of the others). I am very familiar with these other four blades for comparison purposes. To me, the KAI is actually not dissimilar to a Polsilver, except that it has a LOT more blade feel and audible feedback (due to the greater blade exposure). As far as sharpness and smoothness, a KAI is definitely sharper than a Polsilver but about as smooth and forgiving. I love them both. Either would make a fine desert island only-blade for me. Actually, I could handle any of my top 5 being my desert island blade, but I would want it to be either KAI or Polsilver if I had a say in the matter and it wasn't just a shipwreck scenario.

Aesthetically speaking, KAI is a very fine blade. Absolutely no markings on the blade, and none on the wrapper. No glue either. Just a clean little sheet of steel with a sharp edge, wrapped in a plain white wrapper. I dig the minimalist, all-business aesthetic.

Most days my KAI is deployed in a GC .84 SB, a perfect pairing for me. However, I have to say that where the KAI truly shines is in my Rockwell 6S. With plate 4, a KAI provides me with a beautiful, drama-free BBS shave Every. Single. Time. I think the add'l blade exposure compensates for the 6S's lack thereof and really makes the 6S shine.

So, while others may feel that KAI is either not an exceptional blade or is maybe exceptional but not $35 exceptional, my opinion is different and I hope you got a modicum of value from an additional, perhaps contrarian perspective on this. Cheers!

Last edited:

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Not at all accurate for me and nothing could ever be truer than that blades are a YMMV thing. That said, here's my personal bias on the matter. KAI is my favorite blade and to me they are worth the $35 per hundred, though I wish they cost less.

- nearly as sharp as a Feather, and/or the extra (side to side) width increases blade exposure and therefore perceived sharpness. Either explanation is fine with me. On my skin KAI is a ninja weapon in the Feather camp, and slightly sharper than a Nacet
- due to the increased side to side width and therefore greater blade exposure, I get wonderful tactical and audible feedback from KAI. The noisiness and hand feel may not be some people's cup of tea but I love it.
- I get a reliable 4-5 shaves from a KAI, vs 2 for a Feather and 3-4 from a Polsilver
- While being in the Feather camp for slicing ability (though not quite a Feather), KAI is also a smooth and forgiving blade. It's extremely unusual for me to get any kind of nick, cut, weeper, or razor burn from a KAI. A KAI is entirely drama free on my skin; I can shave with blurry morning eyes and my mind on other things when I use one.

How do I not love thee?

The other blades that round out my top 5 are all Gillette: Polsilver, Nacet, Silver Blue and Platinum. I guess I think of KAI and Polsilver being my two top blades. I have 1,00 Polsilvers and 300 KAIs (and 200 or so of each of the others). I am very familiar with these other four blades for comparison purposes. To me, the KAI is actually not dissimilar to a Polsilver, except that it has a LOT more blade feel and audible feedback (due to the greater blade exposure). As far as sharpness and smoothness, a KAI is definitely sharper than a Polsilver but about as smooth and forgiving. I love them both. Either would make a fine desert island only-blade for me. Actually, I could handle any of my top 5 being my desert island blade, but I would want it to be either KAI or Polsilver if I had a say in the matter and it wasn't just a shipwreck scenario.

Aesthetically speaking, KAI is a very fine blade. Absolutely no markings on the blade, and none on the wrapper. No glue either. Just a clean little sheet of steel with a sharp edge, wrapped in a plain white wrapper. I dig the minimalist, all-business aesthetic.

Most days my KAI is deployed in a GC .84 SB, a perfect pairing for me. However, I have to say that where the KAI truly shines is in my Rockwell 6S. With plate 4, a KAI provides me with a beautiful, drama-free BBS shave Every. Single. Time. I think the add'l blade exposure compensates for the 6S's lack thereof and really makes the 6S shine.

So, while others may feel that KAI is either not an exceptional blade or is maybe exceptional but not $35 exceptional, my opinion is different and I hope you got a modicum of value from an additional, perhaps contrarian perspective on this. Cheers!
KAI are top shelf for me. I get them 200 blades bulk at a time. I’m tempted to order some more just reading this thread, lol.

I just ordered another 100 Kai blades myself. 😎

How do I not love thee?

The other blades that round out my top 5 are all Gillette: Polsilver, Nacet, Silver Blue and Platinum. I guess I think of KAI and Polsilver being my two top blades. I have 1,000 Polsilvers and 300 KAIs (and 200 or so of each of the others). I am very familiar with these other four blades for comparison purposes. To me, the KAI is actually not dissimilar to a Polsilver, except that it has a LOT more blade feel and audible feedback (due to the greater blade exposure). As far as sharpness and smoothness, a KAI is definitely sharper than a Polsilver but about as smooth and forgiving. I love them both. Either would make a fine desert island only-blade for me. Actually, I could handle any of my top 5 being my desert island blade, but I would want it to be either KAI or Polsilver if I had a say in the matter and it wasn't just a shipwreck scenario.

See, this is what I look for when I ask a question! You're like me, you delve deeply into a subject when it catches your interest. Thank you, I appreciate that.

It sounds to me like you feel about Kai the way I feel about Gillette Rubie. It may not seem all that special to everybody, but it agrees with your beard type and maybe your shaving style. You also appreciate the aesthetics, something that doesn't get discussed as much as I think it should. I will keep all of this info in mind when I use a Kai, then see if I see it your way.

I missed the bus when it came to Polsilver. They're pretty well sold out and there's no sense in getting a tuck and falling in love with it. No matter how good they are, they'll never be "dollar a blade" good.

See, this is what I look for when I ask a question! You're like me, you delve deeply into a subject when it catches your interest. Thank you, I appreciate that.

It sounds to me like you feel about Kai the way I feel about Gillette Rubie. It may not seem all that special to everybody, but it agrees with your beard type and maybe your shaving style. You also appreciate the aesthetics, something that doesn't get discussed as much as I think it should. I will keep all of this info in mind when I use a Kai, then see if I see it your way.

I missed the bus when it came to Polsilver. They're pretty well sold out and there's no sense in getting a tuck and falling in love with it. No matter how good they are, they'll never be "dollar a blade" good.

Actually, if you want to go the Polsilver route, you could get Wizamets. They are the same blade, just sold under a different name. The cool thing is they're only $45 per sleeve of 250, which makes them $18 per hundred, a great deal for an elite blade. My "1,000 polsilvers" are actually 900 Wizamets and 100 Polsilvers - there's no difference except that one costs $100 per 100 and the other costs $18 per hundred LOL Some eBay sellers sell them in bunches of 50 or 100, you don't need to buy the whole 250. If you just wanna give the blade a try, shoot me a PM with your address and I'll toss a few loose ones in an envelope for you.

Started to use kai blade, shave number 16 with this first blade was today. It seems to get sharper and smoother all the time! I turn over the blade over time to time, when i see blade bending from edge. Its like stropping blade by shaving.

Someone seen other blade brands who use same steel? They can be incredible too!

Used Kai for the first time today in my Rockwell 6S (#4). A very smooth and sharp blade. I need to get a few more shaves in for sure but I would quickly move it to my top-3 with the Personna Med Prep and Personna Lab Blue. They appear to cost about as much as the Med Prep's so am unsure which I would go with once I get past my sample pack and have to buy them in a larger quantity.

The Med Prep's have been on the only blade that I have been able to have more than 3+ shaves with so they definitely are top of my list now despite their cost. Most other blades are 1-2 uses before I bin them.

Top Bottom