What's new

Kai blades - opinions

I have tried to search, but maybe I'm doing it wrong but it says Kai is too short... What are people's opinion of them...I have used one for 2 shaves and I like them, but I always like to hear what others think especially since I am new, this is only the 3rd different manufacturer I have tried (Merkur, Lord, Kai)

I found them plenty sharp! I only had one small problem with them on my neck, they can plow through growth pretty easily but for me the price is too high for the results they produce.

I recently used a Kai blade for the first time. My previous blade experience were Derby Extras - - I stupidly bought a 100 pack when I started DE shaving and used those exclusively for 2.5 years. I finally got a sampler pack for Christmas. Kai was the second brand I tried in the sample pack (Trig was the first - - not good. Noticeably worse than my Derby Extras).

Anyway, I got the best 4 shaves I've ever had using that Kai blade. I loved it. It was sharp and smooth. Because it's so sharp, I was much more careful and it helped me perfect my technique.

I haven't used a Feather blade yet, but I'm hoping that it's similar. I'm saving my Feather blades until after I've worked through a few more brands in my sampler.

I did find this review from other B&B users:
http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?ltr=K&t=53983

Thanks for the link to that review, I should of figured they were very sharp since I sliced my finger open yesterday cleaning my razor, didn't even think I came close to the blade... lol... I got them in a sampler pack and I like them a lot, I have Feathers to use last, but now I'm curious to feel the difference... But I will be patient, have some Wilkinsons next...

Didn't even see that section of the forum, lol... I feel dumb now...

I don't find much difference between KAI and Feather. Sharp, reasonably smooth, but not as smooth as I want. I get 1 mediocre to good shave followed by 2-3 good to excellent shaves out of both brands. I will revisit this in my samples in a few months and I may have a different opinion.

I would consider purchasing a quantity of either brand, but they are not ideal for my face.

Let me see if this soapbox works.

I will not cork a blade. Too much effort, too much risk of injury handling a blade. I expect new blades to be shave ready, and not requiring stropping or corking, or any other treatment besides loading and shaving.

Someone else may have the soapbox.

Phil

If you want to do a search for an item with three letters or less, you can use the google search funcion on the site. Click "Search" above, and place your search term in the second box (google).

attachment.php

Here's a link to the search results for "kai":

http://www.google.com/cse?cx=partner-pub-1110549808043143%3Aj4ecad-6q2z&ie=ISO-8859-1&q=kai&siteurl=badgerandblade.com%2Fvb%2Fshowthread.php%3Ft%3D187632

Last edited:
Just used my Kai blade for the first time last night. Can't remember using a blade that gave so much feedback and pinging of the hair cutting. I also can't remember having to be so careful with a blade. They are very sharp, and not anywhere as smooth as a Feather. Perhaps the 2nd or 3rd shave will be smoother. Had I used these three years ago, I know I would have chopped my face up. Be careful. Technique never was so important and the tenet that you must not apply to much pressure. Oh boy. I'll give them another whirl when I don't have to go to work that morning. (just in case)

I've found them to be too sharp for me; comparable (and perhaps made by the same company) as feathers.

Slightly OT... you'll avoid the "too short" search error iff you do click "search" and then enter your term(s) in the second (lower) box to use google search instead of VB search. Or, alternatively, from a google search page, enter:

Code:
term1 term2 term3 site:badgerandblade.com
which will use a regular google search to search for the term(s), but limiting itself to results from the "badgerandblade.com" domain.

I've found them to be too sharp for me; comparable (and perhaps made by the same company) as feathers.

Slightly OT... you'll avoid the "too short" search error iff you do click "search" and then enter your term(s) in the second (lower) box to use google search instead of VB search. Or, alternatively, from a google search page, enter:

Code:
term1 term2 term3 site:badgerandblade.com
which will use a regular google search to search for the term(s), but limiting itself to results from the "badgerandblade.com" domain.

So that is how it works. I have tried that, but had the wrong syntax.

Thank you

BTW, short words and common words are often omitted in local searches because it puts a huge load on the site server for ultimately little gain. The power can be better used serving a number of other users instead of the single search run for the one user. This is not a philosophical debate, it is a reality that admins need to deal with. With external searches the load is not on the local server to find the page, but to only serve the page.

Phil

Of all the blades I've tried so far, the Kai is my favorite. It's a tiny bit rough on the first shave, but GREAT on shaves 2 and 3, and very good on shave 4.
This is a list of all the blades I've tried:
Gillette Greens
Gillette Yellows
Gillette Bleue Extras
Gillette Super Thins
Feather
Astra SP
Bluebird
Medical and Lab Personnas
Souplex
Timor
Bolzano
Dorco
Red IPs
Bic Chrome Platinum

(I may have left some out.)

I prefer Kai to ALL of the above.

Thank you all for the reviews & the info on the search function...

Tried a Wilkinson white box made in Germany today, I wasn't able to quite get the same shave as yesterday but ended up with a lot more work and a lot more irritation... The Lord & Wilkinsons have both been my worst so far... I am only doing 2 shaves per blade currently, and will be looking at some other blades for samples as well, Gillette 7oClock green or yellow, Medical Personnas, Shark & Bluebird...

Feathers are next so we will see how those work for me...

If I haven't mentioned I am using them in an EJ89L.

I tried a Kai for the first time today. For my face, it was REALLY rough. The sharpness seemed decent, but it was not pleasurable. I'll give it a couple more shaves, but I fear that my search for something in-between Feathers and Super Iridiums will continue.

I tried a Kai for the first time today. For my face, it was REALLY rough. The sharpness seemed decent, but it was not pleasurable. I'll give it a couple more shaves, but I fear that my search for something in-between Feathers and Super Iridiums will continue.

Seven swipes of palm stropping prior to first shave make the first shave much better.

Second through fourth shaves are smooth sailing. :thumbup1:

Have you tried the Gillette 7 O'clock yellows? I find they are not quite as sharp as feathers, but do better in a wider range of razors. I love feathers, but only in one razor: The Merkur slant. I can't explain why it works so well for me in that razor, but it's a combination made in heaven.

Have you tried the Gillette 7 O'clock yellows? I find they are not quite as sharp as feathers, but do better in a wider range of razors. I love feathers, but only in one razor: The Merkur slant. I can't explain why it works so well for me in that razor, but it's a combination made in heaven.

I've only tried the 7 o'clock blacks. I loved their smoothness, but there was too much tugging with them. How do the yellows compare? I have a couple greens in a sample pack I just received, but haven't tried them yet. I'm using an EJ 89L

I do love Kai blades, but now that they've shot well ahead of Feathers in price, I won't be replacing mine. I seem to think that I saw packaged and labelled Kais not so long ago -- can anyone confirm? Lack of marking on the originals seems to indicate medical usage to me, but that is a figment of my fevered imagination.

Right now, they are in my rotation along with Merkur, Croma & Feather. I'm getting fond of Bluebirds, too.

As far as the 7 O'clocks go, they tug me fiercely in all varieties. Take this with a grain of salt, however, since the only blades that don't tug the barbedwire wasteland that is my facial hair are Feather and Kai.

Be seeing you.

I've been shaving with Kai for the past 4 days. I picked up some Kai in a sampler pack. I'm really nervous now because I love it and was hoping to love a cheaper blade like Derby more. :tongue_sm Oh well. It shaves very nice and I get almost zero irritation from it.

Well, didn't shave for 2 days and tried the "scary" Feather today..... I LOVED it!!! :001_tt1: One heck of a nice shave... I want to try the Kai & the Feather back to back now, but I think I have my first favorite blade... Still have Gillette Yellow, Personna Red, Bluebird, Shark, and Astra to try, but wow, with all the fearful talk I must just be blessed with a Feather-lovin' face :thumbup: .... 2 days of coarse growth and it gave me a great shave on first use... YMMV

Top Bottom