What's new

Kai blade fit?

I notice the Kai blades fit very tight in the Karve Christopher Bradley razor . They
don't lay flat when you put them in and need to be push down to slide all the way
in. I don't notice this in any of my other razors. Anyone else have this problem?

I have notice Kai blades barely fit in my Tatara Masamune. The center hole scrapes on the post of the top cap as if not enough clearance to install it smoothly. And it makes a crunch when you tighten it up. I have used at least a dozen different brands of razor blades and these are the only ones that have any issue fitting nicely.

I haven’t had a problem using Kai blades in my razors. I wonder if it as a QC issue with a particular production run?

I’ve had this same problems with Kai blades in my Karve CB. The blade scraped the outer posts on the top cap, you can still see the marks.

0637C349-B173-4E03-9B1B-C465C0213E2E.jpeg

I believe that the CB was tested using an Astra SP, so the tolerances are likely manufactured to Russian blade specs. I've noticed that some blades are not exactly to the Russian DE specs, which leads to this issue. It could also be a batch issue, as someone mentioned, because I was having this problem with some of my Indian Wikis and then it suddenly stopped happening with some of the blades in a new tuck. I guess when you get to tolerances this tight, any minor deviations will lead to trouble. Not that it really impacted the shave, from what I could tell. I have some new Kai's coming, so I'll let you know if it remains the case in the CB.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
No issues with my Kai SS blades in my Razorock or Yaqi razors, I do not own any Karve CB razors.

Space_Cadet

I don't have a funny description.
It's not QC. KAI blades are just made a little bit differently. They are slightly wider and have a smaller center hole.

I’m having this problem with my current pack of Kai blades on an ATT S1, a Masamune, and a Nodachi. It’s a minor nuisance. Never had the problem before, though.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
I have had the experience of hearing that blade crunch before but don’t remember what razor or blade. Sorry no help here but I definitely remember hearing that crunch and thinking whoa what’s that.

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
I have had the experience of hearing that blade crunch before but don’t remember what razor or blade. Sorry no help here but I definitely remember hearing that crunch and thinking whoa what’s that.
Blackbird and Feather — crunchy.

Just tested it on the Karve CB with a new Kai. Fit issues are still apparent, but shave quality is unaffected. The best way to deal with it is to push the center of the blade back into the top cap so that it stays curved before tightening everything. The edge doesn't warp like other blades with this issue will do, so it isn't a problem.

Top Bottom