What's new

Kai BEST carbon steel blade results

Is there anyone with a Valet AutoStrop razor who uses the strop and would like to try this carbon blade? Is there anyone with a OneBlade who has enjoyed carbon blades in other razors and would like to try the Kai BEST blade? If either applies to you PM me and I'll send out a blade free of charge. Will ship worldwide.

Valet VC-4/Kai BEST carbon SE blade in the .15 thickness/ shave-1

Well I`ve just received these Kai carbon blades yesterday in the mail from Feather-man which was perfect timing because I usually start a new blade on a Monday. Thanks Feather-man for sending them over to me!
I`ve chosen the same set up which is my Valet VC-4, C&E Sienna shaving cream and Skin bracer AS and brush just to be consistent.
I did my usual 2 passes shave with some touch ups. It was the usual carbon blade tugging that I was expecting and I received a nice smooth close shave. I am happy with this shave using this Kai carbon se blade and I will be shaving a few more times before I give my thoughts in comparison between the Feather and Kai se blades.
IMGP8428.JPG

Valet VC-4/Kai BEST carbon SE blade in the .15 thickness/ shave-2
A nice shave today just like yesterday.
IMGP8429.JPG

Valet VC-4/Kai BEST carbon SE blade in the .15 thickness/ shave-3
Nice day 3 shave. I`m starting to get a better feel to this Kai blade and I have formed some ideas on its shaving characteristics but I will shave with it just a bit longer before I share my thoughts.
IMGP8430.JPG

I have ordered a pack each of the .15 and the .25 thickness blades, should be close to .006" and .010" thickness equivalent. Interesting enough to me that there is the demand in Japan for them. Is it the old Feather razors, Valets or is the Oneblade selling well in Japan? Seeing as how carbon steel blades I would suspect they are aimed at the old Valets so they can be stropped.

I have ordered a pack each of the .15 and the .25 thickness blades, should be close to .006" and .010" thickness equivalent. Interesting enough to me that there is the demand in Japan for them. Is it the old Feather razors, Valets or is the Oneblade selling well in Japan? Seeing as how carbon steel blades I would suspect they are aimed at the old Valets so they can be stropped.

That's my guess. The stropping of these carbon blades will soon be put to the test by another member here.

BTW if you order both or two blade boxes of one thickness via the Ebay cart and ask for a new total the shipping for two is the same as for one box. My total was $32.80 for 100 blades.

I'm about to use the .15 shortly. I'm having a hard time choosing a razor, too many options.

Valets are the obvious choice, but putting a spine on it gives me options in some of my GEM razors.

While the thicker blade will prove to be more rigid, the thinner may prove to be sharper. @ .002" thicker than a DE blade, it may be "rigid enough."

It will be interesting to see how the two thicknesses compare, I only have the .15.

I did receive a pack of 10 Feather FAS blades yesterday also. In my search for them, I noticed they come in both thicknesses also. I have the thicker one.

One advantage of the JA Henckels Rapide and Wotan style classic German wedge blade razors and their clones such as the Ostaso is the fully adjustable pressure top blade clamp. This allows the use of the Valet blades and their Feather and Kai modern versions without the use of a added top spine. Just adjust the top clamp for minimal pressure but enough so the blade does not move vertically and things will be fine. Excess pressure can bow the blade. Very versatile razors as usable with wedge blades as well as Gem and Valet blades. The adjustable clamp means that the blade height is not a critical dimension.

rabidus, interesting about the Feathers coming in both thicknesses. If this is your first shave with these, um, be prepared for the tugging. If Radium hadn't shown me the way, I would have chucked these and tried to forget I'd ever tried them.

I use both the Feather FAS and the KAI Best (.25) in my OB Core. They both give smooth shaves, with no tugging. I have just used the Best for the first time, so it's early days, but I just might like the Best best ;-)

I use both the Feather FAS and the KAI Best (.25) in my OB Core. They both give smooth shaves, with no tugging. I have just used the Best for the first time, so it's early days, but I just might like the Best best ;-)
Wow, that's great to hear. I like the no sticky goo of the Kai.

Yes, that too. I was glad to find both blades really fit in my Core. They give an audible click when inserted and sit tight. Did not like the idea of just one blade (no pun intended).

Valet VC-4/Kai BEST carbon SE blade in the .15 thickness/ shave-4
Shave 4 another fine shave however I am noticing the need for a bit more touch ups after my usual two passes. I am confident to be getting some more shaves out of this Kai se carbon blade. This Kai blade shaves nice enough and I am happy with its shaving performance.
Now to give my hands on experience between the Feather carbon and Kai carbon blade. I feel it is like the tortoise and the hare story. The feather blade seems a tad bit less sharper with a wee bit more tugging compared to the Kai blade but the feather blade holds the blade sharpness for a longer period. My guesstimate is that the Kai blade is about 5-10% sharper from the start of a new blade but the Feather fas 10 blade keeps the edge for a longer time frame. I used my high power magnify glass and the Kai blade edge seems to be of a finer edge which confirms to be on why when shaving with it initially it felt sharper than the feather carbon blade. Looking through my magnify glass for the feather blade the edge seemed a bit coarser compared to the Kai carbon blade since it is coarser it would make sense that the Feather blade would keep its edge for a longer period. I`ll add further thoughts between these two blades when I see fit. I personally prefer the Feather blade because of less blade chatter/vibration in my Valet VC4 due to it being a thicker blade. I might even like the Kai blade equally as well if it was just like the feather blade thickness but either way I get damn fine shaves with either brands. The way I see it is if you are the type of shaver that likes to toss your blades after a shave or two then the Kai .15 blade might be a good choice for you or if you are the type of shaver that likes to keep your blade as long as possible then might I suggest FAS 10 feather blade.
I have a razor sharpener and stropping device and I might give it a try later on when I can`t get a decent shave with either brand se blades? We will see how it goes? So many shaving options and so little time in life.

IMGP8431.JPG
IMG_5963.JPG
IMG_5964.JPG

Shouldn't you compare the Best .25 to the Feather FAS? The FAS I have is .245. That's why I bought the Best .25.

Working on it. Tomorow I will have time to use my Core with the Best. Can only use the Core when I am not in a hurry. It is a nice shaver, but very, very mild. I have to shave 2 or 3 times a day with it, and at least 3 passes with touch ups every time. With my other se razors I do one pass and I am done. Perhaps I should call those OnePass ;-)?

Top Bottom