What's new

Kai Best blades

Hello all, i was curious if any of you have tried the Kai Best blades with their oneblade razors ????? I saw an article about them but they are only available in a 50 pack that i could find so am nervous of having blades I might not be able to use....

I bought one of those 50 Packs a few years ago, when I first tried the original Core. Use them in my Genesis on occasion, but they won't insert into my Hybrid, or is extremely difficult to do so. I think the Hybrid might have a slightly narrower (tall) blade opening than the Genesis or Core, as it binds about 1/3 of the way in. (Didn't care for the original Core, but the Hybrid brought be back, where I purchased a Genesis over Black Friday during the 50% off sale). The newer/current Core is much better than the original, in my opinion.

They're a mixed bag, being Carbon Steel. Absolutely less smooth than a Feather or GEM, with GEM being the absolute smoothest, and Feather in the middle. They do however provide a VERY close BBS shave, but do seem to get less smooth after 4 shaves, yet still feel sharp. - I want to try stropping them, to see if they smooth out, as they are carbon steel after all. (I have the 0.25 thick blades, they also make a 0.15 thick blade).

Once I get a strop for the Valet AutoStrop or just a Strop and use a pair of vice-grips as a handle and strop one, I'll try to report back.

I bought one of those 50 Packs a few years ago, when I first tried the original Core. Use them in my Genesis on occasion, but they won't insert into my Hybrid, or is extremely difficult to do so. I think the Hybrid might have a slightly narrower (tall) blade opening than the Genesis or Core, as it binds about 1/3 of the way in. (Didn't care for the original Core, but the Hybrid brought be back, where I purchased a Genesis over Black Friday during the 50% off sale). The newer/current Core is much better than the original, in my opinion.

They're a mixed bag, being Carbon Steel. Absolutely less smooth than a Feather or GEM, with GEM being the absolute smoothest, and Feather in the middle. They do however provide a VERY close BBS shave, but do seem to get less smooth after 4 shaves, yet still feel sharp. - I want to try stropping them, to see if they smooth out, as they are carbon steel after all. (I have the 0.25 thick blades, they also make a 0.15 thick blade).

Once I get a strop for the Valet AutoStrop or just a Strop and use a pair of vice-grips as a handle and strop one, I'll try to report back.
Thanks for the info...

Hello all, i was curious if any of you have tried the Kai Best blades with their oneblade razors ????? I saw an article about them but they are only available in a 50 pack that i could find so am nervous of having blades I might not be able to use....

You're one up on me, I haven't seen them on sale anywhere.

Just a quick update, I rubbed a new KAI BEST blade on my glass blade hone. (Impulse buy a few years ago, as they were big during the war, when steel was at a premium). It was a bit smoother after being honed, than the last one I used. - Now I really want to find a why to strop them, and/or try one of the thinner 0.15 blades.

Still not as smooth as a Feather, but darn, they do give a really close shave in the OneBlade. I had a couple days growth, not having shaved yesterday, and having only done a single pass and touch-up with the GEM Junior on Sunday. The KAIs just have a narrower operating angle than the Feather or GEM blades in the OneBlade, if you get it just right against your face, it's not too bad.

Top Bottom