What's new

Just wondering...........

Today I was in a hurry to get my day started, so I pulled out my DE safety razor and did 2 quick passes. It was smoother and less stubble than with my straight razor. Now my straights will pass the HHT, and I enjoy and find my straight shaving relaxing. But till today I always thought they were about the same in " job done ". Have I been fooling myself? Do others find that they get as good or better a shave from DE safety razors? I don't know why this is on my mind but I would appreciate others input..........Thanks..........JR

I got just as excellent results from my DE as I do now with my straights. It is just a matter of preference but I enjoy the shave much much more from straights.

It took a while, but now, my straight shaves are better than my best DE shaves could ever be.

Ordinary DE blades are sharper than the sharpest straight can ever be.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
Mine are as good as a DE shave, and getting slowly better with each shave...you could always try a Feather AC. The laser sharp edge is easier on the ATG stroke, but will cut your skin much easier than a traditional straight.

well............I feel a little better now..... I was starting to question my ability with a straight..........Thank you gentleman for your input..........JR

At this point, I have to use more effort and wind up with more razor burn (or close to it) getting to the difficult spots with the DE. Too much metal on skin. I have given up on them pretty much.

To be fair, I would say they are about the same but I do notice that my skin feels softer and the shave seems to last longer when straight shaving.

Today I was in a hurry to get my day started, so I pulled out my DE safety razor and did 2 quick passes. It was smoother and less stubble than with my straight razor. Now my straights will pass the HHT, and I enjoy and find my straight shaving relaxing. But till today I always thought they were about the same in " job done ". Have I been fooling myself? Do others find that they get as good or better a shave from DE safety razors? I don't know why this is on my mind but I would appreciate others input..........Thanks..........JR

i could have had a one pass shave last night with the straight razor i was using and it was another "wow, holy ****" moment on the first stroke!!!, almost no need to go to a second pass.. better than if not at least equal to the DEs depending on the part of the face.. neck always seems to need a N-S pass which is my second pass....

but i didn't hone this one up and i think i need to find out what the honer used.

I, myself, am trying figure out what happened... the rest of my blades shaves rival and many times exceed DEs, but this was remarkable...

i could have had a one pass shave last night with the straight razor i was using and it was another "wow, holy ****" moment on the first stroke!!!, almost no need to go to a second pass.. better than if not at least equal to the DEs depending on the part of the face.. neck always seems to need a N-S pass which is my second pass....

but i didn't hone this one up and i think i need to find out what the honer used.

I, myself, am trying figure out what happened... the rest of my blades shaves rival and many times exceed DEs, but this was remarkable...

Awesome. When you find out what they used let me know as I'm getting into honing.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
they said "Shaptons up to 4K, then a coticule, finished with a Nakayama Kiita - just water, no slurry."

Ahem. In the interest of preventing further ADs, i would request further posts to describe named jnats to simply "natural stone of Asian origin".
:lol:

When I straight razor shave, it always feels much smoother. Truly, you skin takes time to become conditioned for it.

I used to to hear people say "your skin needs to get used to a straight razor" thinking that was a polite way to say hang in there.

As a seasoned straight shaver, a while back started to DE shave my head. Happy with the DE up there, I decided to use the straight on my head. I got very poor results even on my temples just over my sideburns with the straight.

I felt like a new guy all over, but over time, my dome also shaves as clean and smooth as my maw.

Now convinced straight all over is much better

When I straight razor shave, it always feels much smoother. Truly, you skin takes time to become conditioned for it.

I used to to hear people say "your skin needs to get used to a straight razor" thinking that was a polite way to say hang in there.

As a seasoned straight shaver, a while back started to DE shave my head. Happy with the DE up there, I decided to use the straight on my head. I got very poor results even on my temples just over my sideburns with the straight.

I felt like a new guy all over, but over time, my dome also shaves as clean and smooth as my maw.

Now convinced straight all over is much better
There are a lot of important viens in the top of your head PLEASE be carefu with a straight up there...........JRl

I got just as excellent results from my DE as I do now with my straights. It is just a matter of preference but I enjoy the shave much much more from straights.

+1 here, but there's something really cool about using a straight. I find a real sense of accomplishment when I'm done using my straight. :thumbup1:

Top Bottom