What's new

Just when you think you are good at it!

I started with half-DE shavettes, moved to a long-blade Dovo and graduated to Straights after about a year.

Initially the straights didn't quite give me the same quality shaves, so in-between I also acquired a Feather AC SS, and as far as disposable blade razors go it was the easiest and most forgiving. It was one of my favourites and remained in my rotation for a long time always a good reference of what a good edge should feel like.

After getting better with my pasted balsa edges, it sort of disappeared, and the other day I realised that I have not used it for at least a year.

Thought it would be a good idea to give it a go for a week or so, again to compare with my straights and see how far I have progressed.

I seldom nick myself anymore, so I though I had mastered the art! :straight:

Shave 1 - Nicked my chin, actually shaved of a bit of skin. Note to myself - be more careful and get the angle right.

Shave 2 - Going down the corner of my mouth, mouth wide open. managed to cut my bottom lip, not serious, but some blood. This is a manoeuvre I always use with my straights, never had an issue.

Shave 3 - Didn't feel it, but later the day discovered a papercut on the side of my jaw.

Shave 4 - Learned my lesson, approached with caution, focussed on angle and pressure, and the blade is probably not so lethal anymore so first shave without cuts or nicks.

Good thing I didn't go back to the half-DE Derby Professionals!

So in short, when you think you have it down, go back to a shavette, it's good refresher training, and I think it will improve your technique.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
I make a point of shaving with a shavette with half Feather DE blade at least once a month - just to keep my hand in.

Top Bottom