What's new

Just when I needed it

Background:
My 4, almost 5 year old, son has been challenging recently. He's in that phase where he wants to exercise his own agency in life just because he can. There have been a lot of "No's", "I don't want too's" and just flat out yelling and frustration from him when we have to ask him to do things that he doesn't want to do. LOTH and I have had many nights spent talking about what we are doing as parents that is and isn't working and what else we should do. We've asked trusted friends and family for advice and have spent a lot of time in prayer. With all of that being said please know that he is a great kiddo. Smart, kind, funny, helpful, etc... He's just also at that stage where he recognizes he can decide somethings for himself. So that brings us to this morning.

We do bible stories with our kiddos every night before bed time. As I was sitting at the dining room table post workout doing my bible study this morning, my son came downstairs to use the bathroom. He came out when he was finished and asked if he could sit with me for a few minutes during my "Special Bible Time" as he called it. Mind you, he can't read a lot yet and just wanted to spend time with me. I said of course and he climbed into my lap. He asked me what story I was reading and I told him it was about Jesus and the tax collector. I told him in broad strokes that even thought the tax collector had made some poor choices that Jesus loved him, forgave him and wanted to spend time with him. It was then my son brought me to tears. He looked up at me and said, "That's like you and me dadda. Even when I don't make good choices you still tell me that I'm a good boy and you love me."

And just like that, just when I needed it, I knew the two most important things that I'm trying to teach my son right now are getting through. That he's a good boy and I love him.

Don't know who needed to read this today. Maybe I just needed to share a win.

If he understands that, you are more than getting through!
I needed this today. Thank you.
Family is so difficult - but nothing is more important than being a good Dad, which you are.
When I think about what I put my Dad through growing up...I call him and apologize (again), haha. He could have given up on me but he didn't. And now your Son will know how to treat others with patience and mercy as well.
God bless you and your family, you are in my family's intentions. We see you!
PS: Joshua 1:9

Story from this morning about my daughter. She is 6 years old and special needs. She is cognitively about 12-18 months behind her peers of the same age and has trouble speaking. We don't coddle her because we know that the world wont either. We also try thought to set and keep realistic expectations with her so she doesn't get discouraged. Anyway, this morning she wanted to pour her own milk in her cereal. The gallon was still pretty full so

Me: Do you want me to help you?
Her: No daddy I got it.
Me: It's pretty full. Are you sure?
Her: Daddy you tell me I can do anything I work hard at. Let me work hard!
Me: Okay sweetie. Go for it!

From what my folks tell me about my brother and I, it wasn't very often that they saw the lessons that they tried to teach us getting through when we were young. How blessed am I to get feedback from both of my kiddos that my wife and I are getting through to them. Just when we needed it.

What a blessing you've had those encounters this week. And thank you for sharing with us, I needed that. You're showing what love is, & it's getting through. Well done dad!

Thank you for bringing me to tears. I'm all that's left of our family, everyone is gone, but life goes on. Memories are all that remain.

Blessings.

Top Bottom