What's new

Just used my simpson duke 3 brush for the first time.

Got it from my 8 month daughter for christmas. :001_tongu

Just used it for the first time with aos sandalwood creme and HOLY LATHER!

Came on like crazy and filled my bowl in no time.

Brush felt great on the face. Had good backbone and I strongly prefer it to my Edwin Jagger that IMO is way too loose.

Overall I'm very happy with the brush. I'd say it'd make a great addition to anyones shaving arsenal. :thumbup:

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
If I should have only one shaving brush, the Duke 3 Best would certainly be it. :thumbup1:

Got my Duke 3 for Christmas too. I find Simpson brushes take a good week to come up to full potential, but my first use was outstanding. Can't wait for it to get fully broken in.

David

Got it from my 8 month daughter for christmas. :001_tongu

Just used it for the first time with aos sandalwood creme and HOLY LATHER!

Came on like crazy and filled my bowl in no time.

Brush felt great on the face. Had good backbone and I strongly prefer it to my Edwin Jagger that IMO is way too loose.

Overall I'm very happy with the brush. I'd say it'd make a great addition to anyones shaving arsenal. :thumbup:

Congratulations- I have the smaller brother Duke2 and it is also a fantastic brush. Enjoy!

The Duke 3 is hands down my favorite brush.

There. I've said it. :eek:

I'll bet that it didn't even hurt one little bit............. :001_rolle

For some reason, I think the two D3s I have tried fell a bit short in terms of quality. Would much rather have the CH2 or T2 with a few more dollars added.

Glad you like your Duke.

I'm also considering using Christmas gift money to invest in a Duke brush. How did your oh-so-wise daughter decide on the size? I'm trying to decide between the D2 and D3.

I'm also considering using Christmas gift money to invest in a Duke brush. How did your oh-so-wise daughter decide on the size? I'm trying to decide between the D2 and D3.

Go for the Duke 3. I was dubious at first, thinking the Duke 2 would be a better size for me, but the 3 is not overly large and suits me just fine.

David

Just got my Duke 3 I ordered with some x-mas money. First shave was with MWF and I have to say I think I got better results with it than my Rooney 3/1 Super. The loft is taller than my Rooney and this "feels" a bit more "floppy" and a little less backbone. The D3 is a denser brush though. When I say feels floppy I by no means am implying this brush is floppy. It's just the best word I can use to "compare" to the Rooney. I will say this, I think the D3 in Best is softer than the Rooney in Super. I am genuinely impressed by Simpsons Best grade of hair. Just WOW!! It is nice and soft, unbelievable value. I have a Chubby 1 in two-band on its way from the Isle of Man and can't wait to try that as well. Only looking forward to things getting better from here.

The D3 in best really is a fantastic brush.

+1

I got one for Christmas and it's my favorite.

But it generated this problem.

How can I get another brush that is as good as the D3, but different, and I have no clue in how to define different. :001_smile

I have considered getting one of these brushes. Is the handle comfortable to hold in the hand? How do you guys hold the handle? By the top half or by the bottom half? For those that use this model of brush, how do you use it? Soaps? Creams? Face lather? Bowl lather? All of the above? :laugh:

Thanks in advance.

I have considered getting one of these brushes. Is the handle comfortable to hold in the hand? How do you guys hold the handle? By the top half or by the bottom half? For those that use this model of brush, how do you use it? Soaps? Creams? Face lather? Bowl lather? All of the above? :laugh:

Thanks in advance.

I have the slightly smaller Duke2 and it is also a wonderful brush. I have been moving more and more towards shaving with soap only and it is possible that I will not have a shave with cream in 2011. I lather my soaps direct on the face and these dense and relatively short-lofted Dukes are perfect for this. I find the handle comfortable and most of my brushes have similar-styled handles.

Thanks in advance.

I face lather and use it for both soaps and creams holding it like thus:
I have fairly large hands and can palm a basketball.

Here's a few photos of my new brush and my 3/1

proxy.php

proxy.php

And my little buddy who always shaves with me and is just as much an enthusiast as me:biggrin1:

proxy.php

I have the slightly smaller Duke2 and it is also a wonderful brush. I have been moving more and more towards shaving with soap only and it is possible that I will not have a shave with cream in 2011. I lather my soaps direct on the face and these dense and relatively short-lofted Dukes are perfect for this. I find the handle comfortable and most of my brushes have similar-styled handles.

I'm really excited to read your take on the D2. Mine is on its way to me. It will be my second badger and first Simpson, with my first being an Omega Stripey in Pure. I got a big eye roll from SWMBO for this purchase, and my buddy who turned me on to traditional wetshaving commented, "I'd never spend that much on a brush." But I'm really excited to face lather soaps more. That, and I just had to try one of the iconic Simpson line.

Top Bottom