What's new

Just used a Derby Extra blade for 1st time

I know that many people don't like Derby blades. I just used one for the first time last night and I think they might be ok. They're obviously not as sharp as other blades I've tried, but it felt nice to shave without really worrying about cutting my face. Also, when I tried a Feather blade, my whole face was pink and felt dry afterwards. Maybe a dull / smooth blade is ok for some people, like me.

Derby used to be a favorite on here a few years ago, but Astra seemed to take over. I've tried a bunch of blades and Derby works well for me, Astra does not. So it's true that YMMV. I did try the new Derby Premium and it's my new favorite--smoother than the Derby Extra, and I tend to get a good 7-10 shaves from each blade (compared to 3 or 4 on the Extra).

I’ve used Derbys for a long time. Started wetshaving with those blades and it was a great way to start because of the smoothies and also not being so sharp.
Not chasing the BBS shave, but a close comfortable shave.

It gives a good confidence not cutting ones face to shreds when trying out something new [emoji23]

Now I am experimenting with other blades, but Derby are still a part of the rotation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Derby is a blade that I have not used yet. I will in the future try one. I am glad that you have found a blade that works for you.

Derby used to be a favorite on here a few years ago, but Astra seemed to take over. I've tried a bunch of blades and Derby works well for me, Astra does not. So it's true that YMMV. I did try the new Derby Premium and it's my new favorite--smoother than the Derby Extra, and I tend to get a good 7-10 shaves from each blade (compared to 3 or 4 on the Extra).

Would you say that Derby Premiums are sharper than Derby Extras?

Would you say that Derby Premiums are sharper than Derby Extras?
For me, yes, and smoother, too. Derby Extra works ok for me, but the Premiums are in my top group of blades (and the price point is excellent). Longevity is about the same, though.

Derby Premiums have worked fine for me, haven't tried Extras yet. They can be had at a very good price. So far my best shave has come from a feather, but I'm only one shave in with them, and don't know if the shave is 3x the cost better.

I've used the Derby Extra's and got decent shaves. I think you can get a hundred of them on the bay for under 10 bucks. I've been wanting to try the Derby Premiums, just haven't pulled the trigger yet on buying some. Derby Extras were actually really popular when I first started using a DE.

Tried a Derby Extra for the first time a couple weeks ago. The shaves were smooth and mild -- not a bad blade, for a short stubble. I found that it struggled and tugged with 2 days growth.

I'm only going to use the rest of the pack for the rare occasions when I need to shave in less than 36 hours.

I enjoy using them. I think the second and third shaves are better than the first. I pretty much only use them in my shavette - hence why I have 3x100 packs of them!
IMG_0703.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Hazzah! I think I might be able to shave every day (or every other day), if I use Derby blades. They really don't irritate my skin at all, unlike sharper blades.

Glad the Derby’s work for you! :a29:

This is precisely why you need to try things for yourself rather than relying too much on reviews by OP.

Derby extras are the first blade I ever used and wasn't as bad as people make it out to be. I've got a couple spares lying around I need to revisit. I want to try the premiums now. Thanks for the review.

I know that many people don't like Derby blades. I just used one for the first time last night and I think they might be ok. They're obviously not as sharp as other blades I've tried, but it felt nice to shave without really worrying about cutting my face. Also, when I tried a Feather blade, my whole face was pink and felt dry afterwards. Maybe a dull / smooth blade is ok for some people, like me.
You are pressing too much.
Let the tool do the work. The weight of it is suffice.

Top Bottom