What's new

Just used a Derby Extra blade for 1st time

When I stopped listening to everyone saying how bad the Derby blades are and tried them for myself, I was very surprised with how smooth they were while true they are not the sharpest blade ive tried, I was easily able to get a dfs. Also I've found out preshave prep has way more to do with the quality of the shave then the sharpness of the blade. Like was said before it's very consistent, and is great for testing new razors and soaps/creams.

I'm big a fan of Derby Premiums. Smooth, long lasting, good results. Oddly enough, less so of Feathers, though they seem much sharper. The first shave with a Feather is impressively close, but after that, results for me are still good but not exceptional, and the shaves are not especially smooth. So it really is a ymmv thing.

When I stopped listening to everyone saying how bad the Derby blades are and tried them for myself, I was very surprised with how smooth they were while true they are not the sharpest blade ive tried, I was easily able to get a dfs. Also I've found out preshave prep has way more to do with the quality of the shave then the sharpness of the blade. Like was said before it's very consistent, and is great for testing new razors and soaps/creams.

yeah_that.gif

It all depends on your face. No matter what prep I do, Derby blades struggle on my chin and neck. They’re fine on my cheeks, but they just don’t work well at all on the areas with thicker hair (the same goes for Lord blades in their various guises).

I end up struggling, putting too much pressure, and the result isn’t pretty.

Meanwhile, most other blades have no such issues. So I just use them.

Just use what works for your face.

Actually I disagree with the YMMV blanket statement, would you accept that at say a barber shop if you got a bad shave and they just said well your face just has tuff whiskers sorry, chances are you would ask for a refund and say that guy doesn't know what he is doing. Some people can prep with a damp cloth for 30 seconds and shave. I need a hot shower with a face soap to clean the oils off my whiskers but not strip my oils out of my skin, followed by a preshave soap or oil depending how efficient the blade and razor combo is and it has to sit for approx. 3 minutes then when I lather its on my face to further prep the whiskers and I agitate for a good 3 minutes doing that, the only blade I can't use now is the Treet Black Beauty, just too dull for my beard. Previous to my new prep routine I thought it was the blades fault.
By no means am I implying your a hack or some kind of newb, my whiskers could give copper wire a battle, and no you never said ymmv or anything like that. A proper shave has proper parts and they should all be done with the same attention to detail.
His back forth about the derby blades sounds more like he may have needed to re apply the dried lather or improve his prep.

At a barber shop, you have the luxury of time. When you're shaving on a daily basis, it's a routine.

If I had to spend 10 minutes on prep each time (twice a day), I'd go mad and just use my electric razor instead. In fact, I often use my electric razor of a night instead of shaving properly, because I'm in a hurry.

Of a morning, I just get out of the shower, then spend two minutes lathering. Then I do a first pass. Another three minutes gone. Then a second pass. We're up to seven or eight minutes. If I'm in a hurry, that's it. If I'm not, I'll spend another couple of minutes tidying up and doing a third pass on my cheeks.

I can do the above with an Astra or Wilkinson Sword or Gillette Yellow blade and get a good result. But not with Lord or Derby blades. I'm sure if I doubled the amount of prep time, I could get exactly the same result with a duller blade... but why would I want to do that? I enjoy my shave, but it's a 10 minute diversion. I don't want to make it into a 20 minute exercise or it would turn from an enjoyable diversion into a time-consuming chore.

This thread inspired me to pop a Derby Extra in my Fatip OC tonight. Lovely smooth shave and close enough too. I have always found them to be very smooth but when I used them in razors like 40s Superspeeds and Techs, I didn't get a very close shave. In the Fatip, it's close and smooth. Not the closest I've ever managed but pretty good all the same.

I think, with a little more practice, I could easily use Derby Extras in a Fatip as my daily shaver. If I wanted a really close shave, I might try something a little more exciting but for everyday use, I think they could be a good choice for me.

@Marlor Sir you must have a 5 o'clock shadow by noon! I do not envy that. my hats off to ya. I can get a bbs and go 2 or 3 days without shaving, but I do have some stout whiskers just not a thick dense beard, but for a experiment stand point give a major prep session a go for that once In a while weekend shave, let us know if you can tell a difference, for the sake of research, prosperity and all that.

@Marlor Sir you must have a 5 o'clock shadow by noon! I do not envy that. my hats off to ya. I can get a bbs and go 2 or 3 days without shaving, but I do have some stout whiskers just not a thick dense beard, but for a experiment stand point give a major prep session a go for that once In a while weekend shave, let us know if you can tell a difference, for the sake of research, prosperity and all that.

I usually shave at 7am and am as smooth as can be for the entire morning, but can definitely feel stubble by 2pm. If I don't shave of a night, my wife will either kick me out of bed or put a wall of pillows between us to "avoid the sandpaper" that is my face. So I shave every morning for work and every night for my wife.

When I began traditional shaving, I did have an extended prep session. Soaking my face with a towel for a couple of minutes before shaving, using pre-shave creams, the whole kit and kaboodle. With my dense growth and bad technique, I needed to, or the blade would grab and tug. But in the end, when I managed to work out a solid technique, I realized I could get away with a quick lather (with a cheap soap stick) as long as I use a sharp blade (and replace it every 5-10 shaves).

So, really, it's all horses for courses. I don't like to spend long on prep, so using a Derby blade ends up being a frustrating exercise when I hit the problem areas. For someone with less thick, dense, growth, or someone who puts more effort into prep, then the same blades may well provide a smooth, comfortable shave.

I've given Derby's more chances than any other blade, I've tried them in all my razors and different settings in my adjustables with a multitude of different soaps & creams. They just don't work for me.

Top Bottom