What's new

Just Used A Charnley Forest For The First Time. It's Great!

How ever many it takes. There is no answer there. Depends on a dozen variables. I could give you two razors and one could be finished on my 10" Charnley in twenty passes, the other would need a thousand.

That's a Washita in your picture SoldierDan. Looks like a really nice one. Probably a LWW if it was a Norton/Pike or a #1 if it was someone elses.

The big stone in Global_Devs image is a Charnley. Little one I'm not sure, looks like a La Lune probably.

I had feeling that laps was a slow pitch softball of a question.

Charnleys are pretty slow stones. Even huge, I wouldn't recommend using one as a finisher for a razor unless you were going to it after another stone that's a finisher in its own right. As an example, going Norton 8k to charnley would be tedious. Going from a 10k JIS stone to a Charnley would work alright (though honestly, my 10k JIS gives a better finish than my Charnleys). They're probably just a hair faster on avg than Cnats, though I can't say I ever really bothered to compare the two.

@global dev:
Could you post a detailled picture of the smal one, best would be from side and front...

For me it could be everything because picture is not that good, could also be a Rouge Du Salm...is it greyish or reddish?

Just keep in mind that their performance varies. I have one that works very well as a finisher. I usually use it after a coticule and have seen it, at times, make an amazing improvement. I have found that it responds well to pressure a la trans ark.

Charnleys are pretty slow stones. Even huge, I wouldn't recommend using one as a finisher for a razor unless you were going to it after another stone that's a finisher in its own right. As an example, going Norton 8k to charnley would be tedious. Going from a 10k JIS stone to a Charnley would work alright (though honestly, my 10k JIS gives a better finish than my Charnleys). They're probably just a hair faster on avg than Cnats, though I can't say I ever really bothered to compare the two.

Just keep in mind that their performance varies. I have one that works very well as a finisher. I usually use it after a coticule and have seen it, at times, make an amazing improvement. I have found that it responds well to pressure a la trans ark.

Yes, I'm sure that's true. Sadly, the stones were cabinet-makers stones in their day, so they were chosen based on how fast they put a much coarser edge than we desire on tools one would lean heavily into the stone with... so as far as I know there's no real way to tell if you're getting one that will work particularly well for our purposes. And even though the price has gone down lately, they're still very expensive for what is in my opinion a crapshoot, where even the jackpot is surpassed by any number of other alternatives. Why spend $100 a half dozen times to get a good one when you could spend $300 on that 20k stone everyone is drooling over these days. Or $200 on an Escher. Or a few hundred on a fabulous Jnat. Or $1-200 on an exceedingly hard ark (which as long as you pick up vintage hards or handpick a modern stone seem to lack any of the crap-shoot element the Charnleys have).

I might have gotten lucky out of the gate.

3359F8F1-5F99-47F8-8474-1E8ECC6ABBC3.jpeg

2A6CA44B-57D6-4A75-B5E8-2A31F44F872E.jpeg

5D335782-04EF-4694-ACB1-CD2A9EFEB106.jpeg

I used it as a finisher for a Brian Brown razor that I have, and the edge was very sharp and very smooth...perhaps not quite as sharp as my Zulu Grey edges, but noticeably more smooth.

AE55B9E1-FA6E-49CF-B22D-6C7F292A67E3.jpeg

So I just ran one of my favorite Wacker razors for 100 laps. I wanted to see if this is the real deal, or the first edge was a fluke...my imagination? The edge looks great under the loupe, and is passing the HHT Heel to toe...but the next shave will tell the tale! I am looking forward to it!

96DF0E0D-4D4B-4E3C-A0E6-726B541500DF.jpeg

Vr

Matt

Top Bottom