What's new

Just turned my vintage brush into a feeble wobble...[Graphic Images]

[Graphic Images]

After drilling out the bristles on another brush, I had a really nice Ever-Ready 89 that I wanted to re-knot. This brush was actually in use, but wanted to remove the old bristles and replace them with a new knot from TGN because it was shedding like my Golden Retriever.
I spent some time looking at other threads where the knot was steamed out instead of drilled out. So I began the task.

Identify Brush to re-knot.
Pot of boiling water.
Steam.
Place a bowl in the pot, away from the water.
Let it steam and set for 10 minutes.
Check, pull, and if the old knot doesn't pull out, return to steam and repeat.

After the timer went off, I opened the lid...
IMG_0072.JPG

IMG_4835.JPG

IMG_9504.JPG

There is also now a slight gap between the ferrule and the handle.

Yep. Not real happy. The boil method is off the table for me, indefinitely.

Live and Learn.

Sorry for your loss.

I wouldn't steam anything other than a modern resin type handle. Even then, it's a risk no matter how you go about it. I've had some oops moments using drills too.

Before I even cleaned it up...

proxy.php

proxy.php

I had thought about taking it into the steam room this morning, but decided to "do it properly" back at the house over lunch. I think I will keep it on my desk as a reminder that short-cuts don't always mention what is "cut" or lost in the process.

This is my "I've learned" brush to be re-knotted.
View attachment 849234

Rubber band around bristles.
Razor blade to bristles.
That's one heck of a glue bump. i didn't quite understand why the razor blade wouldn't pass through the bristles.

KeenDogg

Slays On Fleek - For Rizz
Sometimes we pay for our education. The next one will be better!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

I wrecked about 5 handles doing that (all at the same time). Never again.

That makes me cringe. I consider myself a life-long student and love learning, but like to do it without great expense or unrecoverable losses.

Since I still had a knot and the opening was a little big for a 20mm, I dropped a 24mm Best Badger from TGN.
proxy.php
proxy.php

Should be a dense knot.
proxy.php

I had other plans for the handle, but it looked like it lived out it's prior existence in a smoky venue. The bottom should be white.

Sorry for your loss but thank-you for posting this---you might have just saved quite a few folks from going through the same thing.

The second effort looks very nice, I’ve always been a fan of the ER 100/200T. Could you give a review of the knot after you’ve used it a bit? I like the TGN finest a lot but have never tried their best badgers.

The second effort looks very nice, I’ve always been a fan of the ER 100/200T. Could you give a review of the knot after you’ve used it a bit? I like the TGN finest a lot but have never tried their best badgers.

I sure can, though it will be really limited. I have only been shaving like this since Dec. 1, and I am far from finding the best way to make a great lather.
I have restored 4 knots though. LOL.
1. Re-knotted a free Escali Brush that had the knot pop out.
2. Re-knotted/Refurbished a 100T with a Maggards 20mm B&W.
3. Re-knotted/Refurbished a H40 with a TGN 24mm Best Badger.
4. Re-knotted/Refurbished a Star with a TGN 16mm Finest Badger(tonight). I would say this one is still incomplete because I need to do something about the handle. It's a nice, small knot(the coins are for reference only), and I hope it preforms well. If it does, I'd like to find a way to make a small handle for travel for versatility.
Anyone have a spare?
Star Restore.jpg

The 200-2 and 49-3 are still a works in progress.

Graydog

Biblical Innards
[Graphic Images]

After drilling out the bristles on another brush, I had a really nice Ever-Ready 89 that I wanted to re-knot. This brush was actually in use, but wanted to remove the old bristles and replace them with a new knot from TGN because it was shedding like my Golden Retriever.
I spent some time looking at other threads where the knot was steamed out instead of drilled out. So I began the task.

Identify Brush to re-knot.
Pot of boiling water.
Steam.
Place a bowl in the pot, away from the water.
Let it steam and set for 10 minutes.
Check, pull, and if the old knot doesn't pull out, return to steam and repeat.

After the timer went off, I opened the lid...
View attachment 849196

View attachment 849197

View attachment 849198

There is also now a slight gap between the ferrule and the handle.

Yep. Not real happy. The boil method is off the table for me, indefinitely.

Live and Learn.

I have been there one time ,thats all it took for me
Melt Me 2.jpg
Melt Me.jpg

Top Bottom