What's new

Just tried LA Shaving Soap samples

(Sorry, this is long)

I couldn't help myself and had to lather all of them to really get the scents. I am on a 3017 stint with a sample of Stirling Spice so didn't shave with any but can't wait to.

WOW they are amazing!!!

Looking at the containers I was thinking I'd have to transfer to a bowl of some kind to load a brush but for tonight just wanted to waken up the scents so squiggled my brush on the little 1" diameter opening for maybe 15 seconds. I was expecting to wipe around some minimal suds in the lather bowl and then HOLY CRAP, I seriously got enough lather for probably a 2 pass shave! This is what I've read the MdC guys talk about but I couldn't believe it until I saw it. John has done an amazing job on the soap.

The scents are fantastic as well. They all have a high quality feel to the scents. I suspect that has something to do with the use of EO instead of FO. If that's the case it shows and it's worth it, in my opinion. If it has nothing to do with that then John is even more talented with scents than my notes below reflect. ;)

Here are my short and untrained notes/thoughts. They're also in order of my current preference. That could easily change as I get to using all of them for shaving.

Vanilla/eucalyptus/mint is the most pleasing to me initially, and not surprisingly since all three of those are things I enjoy the scent of. I really like it. The eucalyptus seemed to take over, or maybe is just the only one to remain, while lathering it. All three seemed pretty equal smelling right off the soap.

The woody lavender is a surprise, I could see myself really latching onto that one when I spend some more time with it.

I fully expected to dislike Topanga Fougère but it was very interesting and could go either way. By either way I mean really like it or it just be so-so, definitely not offensive or disliked at all.

Bespoke, wow. I like it, but it may be too much for me. The biggest thing I recognize there is an incense-like smell. My nose is not at all accustomed to scents though, very limited exposure/palette.

The bay rum is nice. I think after smelling this one as well as Stirling's I am just not a bay rum guy. Again, not offensive or disliked, just not my thing. I could take it or leave it and there's too much out there that's fantastic to buy something I'm not thrilled about.

So back to the lather... I was entirely blown away by this, so much so... I had to take some pictures. :D

This is how small the containers are. I don't have giant sized hands, I'm guessing they're just a little over an inch in diameter
$IMAG0335.jpg

The tips of the 1460 brush after "loading". You can see I didn't even make a dent in the (very soft) soap.
$IMAG0337.jpg

This is after swirling for 10 seconds with just the leftover water after dumping out the bowl.
$IMAG0338.jpg

Here's after adding maybe 6-8 drops of water and another 20 seconds of swirling
$IMAG0339.jpg

This is another 60 seconds and another 12-15 drops of water
$IMAG0340.jpg

Continued next post...

Last edited:
Scooped out of the bowl
$IMAG0341.jpg

Squeezed out the brush and cleaned out the bowl
$IMAG0343.jpg

This was thick. I think it could have even used just a touch more water to get some more slick in there, but cushion was abundant.
$IMAG0344.jpg

Needless to say I am ridiculously impressed with the lather and the miniature amount of product necessary to get there. I agree with the 2014 "use more product" but with this stuff, you either don't need to, or will only have to build lather for like 15 seconds if you use a large amount. I see the samples lasting me 15 shaves or more, seriously.

I will confess we have a water softener so there is no hardness at all to deal with, which helps I'm sure. Even still, it's very impressive and the scents are very well balanced to my nose, neither overpowering or weak.

Whenever I have a wishlist opportunity LA Shaving soap will easily be in a top spot of that list.

I am excited to finish off my 3017 so I can give one of these a proper shave test. I will report back!

I did, actually! That's one of the threads I read that made me really want to try LA Shaving.

Last edited:
Just received some samples from John at lashavingsoaps, as well, and want to echo redrider's praise! Absolutely fantastic scents! Just pm'ed John to thank him and then I saw this thread. Thought I would add praise, as well. Also asked John if he had tweeked Topanga's scent; somehow it seems brighter and a bit sweeter than an earlier sample I had - I love it!! And the Wild Lavender and Bespoke are to die for! Will test shave them as soon as I get done testing a couple others. Can't wait!!!

I got their samples as well. I was blow away with how potent they are. Lots of lather from a tiny amount of product. I ordered a full size of Fougere

I was surprised at how good LA Shaving soap performs. It is very similar to MdC, and I'm sure at a fraction of the price. I have only used a sample, which lasted nearly a week, but it was outstanding in scent and lather quality. Your review matches my experience.

Test shaved with LASS Bespoke this morning and wow! VERY nice! Mr. Scruffy got it right when he said the predominate note was vetiver but not too much. It is definitely vetiver! Did not notice the other scents too much because I got caught up in the lather. Used just a little bit of the soap scooped out into a bowl but that was still too much. Deep, thick lather; if anything I will try to thin it down the next time. And I do believe it shaved every bit as good as MdC from the MdC sample that I have.

Got a PIF of the Topanga Shaving Soap and tried it for the first time this morning. What an awesome soap. I normally load all my soap for about a 60 count. My brush looked fully loaded after about 20. Lathered up like a dream almost by itself. The scent is nice, but not something I am smelled before. I highly recommend their product.

Just shaved with Woody Lavender this morning. I'm in the one blade in February challenge so this was about shave 4 on a less than stellar blade but the soap did a great job.

I'm still amazed at how much thick lather I get from such a tiny amount of this soap. Slickness was just a tiny bit lower than I'm used to with the soap I've been using lately, but I'm in a new place with a new soap, could just need to dial it in a bit.

I'll be shaving with it all week, various scents and will comment if I get something different from this.

I got the 4 samples jars from Maggard Razors. I liked all of them. As stated above, the performance is excellent...even in my rock hard water! I like the Topanga Fougere the best, followed by the Woody Lavender. I ordered the Woody Lavender ($16 vs. $24).

I do wish John would start using waterproof labels though............

Great soap!

proxy.php

proxy.php

Got a PIF of the Topanga Shaving Soap and tried it for the first time this morning. What an awesome soap. I normally load all my soap for about a 60 count. My brush looked fully loaded after about 20. Lathered up like a dream almost by itself. The scent is nice, but not something I am smelled before. I highly recommend their product.

It is quite amazing :)

If you like their Fougere........ There is a whole world of Fougere available. QC, MdC, Valobra, etc. tons of companies make a Fougere scent, and no two are quite the same.

I only have two points of critique with the LA shave soaps.

1. Please put it in a wider or deeper container (preferably wider). The same tubs that they use come in an 8oz size, which are the ones I use at home for soap refills from other companies.
2. Waterproof or resistant labels.

The product itself is great

Josh

I only have two points of critique with the LA shave soaps.

1. Please put it in a wider or deeper container (preferably wider). The same tubs that they use come in an 8oz size, which are the ones I use at home for soap refills from other companies.
2. Waterproof or resistant labels.

The product itself is great

Josh

He's got a wide/flat tin option now (looks like it might be similar to the one Synergy is using). You get a smidgen less soap for the same price, but as someone who has yet to finish a container of soap, I'm ok with this

I knew better than to click on this topic. This is what happens:

DescriptionUnit priceQtyAmount
Los Angeles Shaving Soap Sampler Pack$5.00 USD1$5.00 USD

Subtotal$5.00 USD
Shipping and handling$5.00 USD
Total$10.00 USD
Payment$10.00 USD

Thanks B&B :glare:

I knew better than to click on this topic. This is what happens:

DescriptionUnit priceQtyAmount
Los Angeles Shaving Soap Sampler Pack$5.00 USD1$5.00 USD

Subtotal$5.00 USD
Shipping and handling$5.00 USD
Total$10.00 USD
Payment$10.00 USD

Thanks B&B :glare:
when you get the samples you will stare at them, and say "these are so tiny I'll only get one shave out of them". Then you'll try them and realize how potent the soap is, and be able to shave for the rest of your life with one sample container. :)

Top Bottom