What's new

Just Took the Plunge

I just got some fountain pens from my local art store. I realize that I could've gotten a Metropolitan for the same price, but if the store doesn't have a Metropolitan, I can't buy it.

I got two Pilot Varsity pens in medium, black ink. They're regarded as disposables, and came pre-filled. I'm really liking these, but there's no way to see your ink level.

One Zebra Sensations in 0.6mm, blue ink. Again, this is a disposable and came pre-loaded with ink. I don't like it as much as the Varsity (I like a bolder line) but I can see my ink level.

One Speedball Calligraphy Fountain Pen, 1.5mm in black. It came with two cartridges. I don't know if I like this. It feels high quality and I can see the ink level. But it skips quite a bit, even after priming and waiting for an hour. Ten bucks, oh well.
IMG_20210609_105810.jpg

Here are my quick writing samples. The lines at the end are my smudge tests since I'm a lefty.
IMG_20210609_105856.jpg

EDIT: Yes, I used regular loose leaf paper. My bad.

The Pilot Varsities at 5 max per pen are an excellent proof of concept tool. The far exceed the intersection performance/quality and value.

I know of a judge who signs all of his blue inked originals with a pilot varsity because they simply work despite having any number of higher end vintage pens in a display box in chambers.

Paying a bit more shopping local is quite admirable. Having said that, Amazon can often get you a Metropolitan for 20 ish max in 48 hrs. The link below actually has 12 carts. w the pen.

The Pilot Varsities at 5 max per pen are an excellent proof of concept tool. The far exceed the intersection performance/quality and value.

I know of a judge who signs all of his blue inked originals with a pilot varsity because they simply work despite having any number of higher end vintage pens in a display box in chambers.

Paying a bit more shopping local is quite admirable. Having said that, Amazon can often get you a Metropolitan for 20 ish max in 48 hrs. The link below actually has 12 carts. w the pen.

A lot of good advice here imho.

I got the Speedball to flow normally. I wouldn't do this with an expensive or vintage fountain pen, but for a $10 pen it's fine:

I used a razor blade to get between the tines of the nib, then gently rocked back and forth until they spread a bit. I made sure the times were still aligned, then tried writing. It's almost perfect now.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Great post congrats on the pens
And hole you enjoy!

You’ve got me looking too. Very interesting. What’s the nib like?

Top Bottom