What's new

Just started my straight shaving journey

After a couple of years of shaving with a DE I have just had my first straight shaves. Just shaving both cheeks at the moment and will move to the more difficult parts of the face when I improve.

First impressions:

1. The razor was not as intimidating as I thought (I was quite anxious before my first shave);
2. It was much harder to shave than I thought. Despite having researched straight shaving extensively it took me a while to work out how to hold the razor. Also, I found it difficult to see what I was doing even though I used both right and left hands.
3. I am only 3 shaves in but each one has been better than the one before. I know I will get better.
4. Even though it is early days I can see why people are attracted to straight shaving. The whole experience (stropping and shaving) is very addictive.

This site has been incredibly helpful.

Thanks
Paul

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Thanks Luc

Will keep working at it until I find a hold that is comfortable and allows me to see what I am doing.

Depending on the razor, I usually do 2 and 7. I can't hold the razor like #1, I put my pinky on the tail, not under if it fits...

Congratulations on your shaves! Glad to know you enjoyed them.

On visibility: are you trying to shave your cheeks or sideburn areas and find the handle of the razor blocks the view? In that case, try a hold that points the handle away from the mirror. I find it a bit awkward, but I have a clear view of the area I'm trying to shave.

If that's not where you're having trouble seeing, where are you having the troubles? I'm sure someone else has an insight, or even a solution (and perhaps even a correction to my solution to the sideburn and cheek problem)

Congratulations on your shaves! Glad to know you enjoyed them.

On visibility: are you trying to shave your cheeks or sideburn areas and find the handle of the razor blocks the view?

Thanks for your advice.

I am finding that both the razor and my hands are preventing me from seeing what I am doing. I can improve visibility but it feels awkward and unnatural. I think I just need to keep trying different methods until I find one that suits me.

After my initial difficult but enjoyable shaves I had a shocker this morning. All my own fault as I rushed it a bit. I look like like I have been 12 rounds with a guy with blades on one hand and industrial grade sandpaper on the other. This is still shaving the cheeks only. I can only imagine what would have happened if I tackled the more difficult parts of my face.

I have summarised the areas that I need to work on as follows:

1. Finding a hold that feels comfortable and functional. At the moment I cannot find a hold that suits me despite trying different ways of holding the razor.
2. Working out how to see what I am doing (partly as a result of 1 I think).
3. Keeping a consistent angle (partly as a result of 1 & 2).
4. Achieving a smooth shaving stroke (partly as a result of 1,2 & 3).

I think the learning curve is going to be quite steep for me. Even though there was a learning curve with my DE I was enjoying nice smooth shaves within a couple of weeks. I feel like it will be months rather than weeks before I can get the same with a straight. And it may be years before I master it, if at all.

Despite the experience this morning I am still looking forward to my next straight shave (a few days time to give my face time to repair itself). Until then it's back to the tutorials for me.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
After my initial difficult but enjoyable shaves I had a shocker this morning. All my own fault as I rushed it a bit. I look like like I have been 12 rounds with a guy with blades on one hand and industrial grade sandpaper on the other. This is still shaving the cheeks only. I can only imagine what would have happened if I tackled the more difficult parts of my face.

I have summarised the areas that I need to work on as follows:

1. Finding a hold that feels comfortable and functional. At the moment I cannot find a hold that suits me despite trying different ways of holding the razor.
2. Working out how to see what I am doing (partly as a result of 1 I think).
3. Keeping a consistent angle (partly as a result of 1 & 2).
4. Achieving a smooth shaving stroke (partly as a result of 1,2 & 3).

I think the learning curve is going to be quite steep for me. Even though there was a learning curve with my DE I was enjoying nice smooth shaves within a couple of weeks. I feel like it will be months rather than weeks before I can get the same with a straight. And it may be years before I master it, if at all.

Despite the experience this morning I am still looking forward to my next straight shave (a few days time to give my face time to repair itself). Until then it's back to the tutorials for me.

You won't be disappointed, stick to it!

It's not easy but with pratice, it gets better!

for the tutorials, have a look at those if you didn't: http://www.youtube.com/jockeys41

Top Bottom