What's new

Just shocking . . . my Pils has rust!

I'm supposed to have the new, improved never-to-rust Pils and it had a nice sized spot on the blade floor after my second blade. I have been using Feather Yellows (original) and leave the blades in 5 to 7 days depending on how it feels. I got most of it off but there looks like a very tiny spot has transfered itself onto the stainless "floor". Not sure who to point a finger at but it seems the blade might remain damp and generate the rust. I am not fanatical enough to remove a blade after every shave....if I did that I might as well use electric. Will keep a beady eye on it.

:huh:

Dude, I have the same razor and really enjoy the shave. I remove the blade after every shave because I'll use the blade in another razor the next day. This way I don't have to leave blades in the razors and I get a chance to see how different blades work in different razors. And guess what? After I dry the razor off I've NEVER had a problem with rust...ever. I know you paid a few bucks for the Pils and if you like the shave why not just remove the blade after you're done? That's not fanatical, that's maintenance. :thumbup:

I'm supposed to have the new, improved never-to-rust Pils and it had a nice sized spot on the blade floor after my second blade. I have been using Feather Yellows (original) and leave the blades in 5 to 7 days depending on how it feels. I got most of it off but there looks like a very tiny spot has transfered itself onto the stainless "floor". Not sure who to point a finger at but it seems the blade might remain damp and generate the rust. I am not fanatical enough to remove a blade after every shave....if I did that I might as well use electric. Will keep a beady eye on it.

:huh:
This is not a new issue with the Pils razor I have heard about for a couple of years. If you are able to return it do so and consider the Tradere as it is configure like the Pils but is a 3 piece insted of 2 so you can use different handels

Sorry to hear about your Pils! I left an Astra in mine for 2 shaves and it did the same thing. Just take an old toothbrush, and toothpaste should take it right off.

I feel you pain....

I do not have a Pils but I never pull a Feather blade till I've had at least 3 shaves (lately I'm getting more days with an angle change) but never seen a rust issue and that counts the used blades in a RX med bottle that date back to last summer.

Fanatical because one takes a blade out every shave? That's me I guess. I also do this with my yard tools after each use rinse the dirt off and wipe it down with a well oil rag. As another has said it's maintenance on one expensive tool you have there.

Sorry to hear about your Pils! I left an Astra in mine for 2 shaves and it did the same thing. Just take an old toothbrush, and toothpaste should take it right off.

+1. I do not own a Pils but if it is a true stainless steel shaver, then the rust may be caused by the rusting blade which leaves some superficial rust on the razor, unless it is a major rusting issue like on this Weber DLC. If it is superficial rust, then it should wash right off with toothpaste / toothbrush or scrubbing bubbles / toothbrush. Also a picture of the said rusting would help!

I got this with my Tradere if I left a blade in there. As Thekinge said, the blade had rusted and left some on the razor but it cleaned right off with a toothbrush. Now after I've rinsed the razor I slacken the head off a bit to let the air in and it dries out a treat.

OP,
It's the blade rusting and not the Pils and will scrub right off. The reason this happens is that the head is so well made, that when closed, the surface is perfectly flat and water stays trapped in there. You can diminish, though possible not eliminate totally, this problem simply by loosening the head after each shave. This should allow the water to evaporate. I assume you're storing it straight up as well. If you alter the manner of storage so that it is at an angle AND loosen the head, then I think your problem is solved. This adds no more than 1 or 2 seconds to your daily routine.

All steel rusts/corrodes. When something says "stainless steel" it means that the steel has chromium and vanadium in the alloy which helps "resist" rust is all.

In over 45 years of shaving I have never left a blade in a razor (even before I knew better).

If you want to be lazy and not clean your tools, keep a small sealed jar of alcohol in your bathroom and dunk your razor head in it before putting it away. This will displace any water and evaporate. Doing this will not "prevent" rust from appearing it will just make it less likely to happen is all. Placing your razor in a stand (head up) will also help it dry (use old Mr. gravity to your advantage)

All steel rusts/corrodes. When something says "stainless steel" it means that the steel has chromium and vanadium in the alloy which helps "resist" rust is all.

+1. My company is doing some electrical work in an existing wastewater treatment plant. In that sort of environment, even 316 SS will eventually corrode, it just takes longer than regular steel.

I mostly use TTO's, so after a shave, I'll dry the razor with a towel, and carefully pat the blade dry. Then, I'll place the blade back in the razor with the silo doors open. Never had an issue with rust. I understand its a little different with two or three piece razors.

DE razors have maintenance, disassemble clean and dry, and please do not wipe the blade. My profession is related to cars, nowadays in Europe where the fab is overly complicated and expensive to run diesel powered cars, many people are busting diesel injector pumps and clogging/detonating exhaust particulate filters because of negligent use. Nobody reads the fine manual. All machines have a level of maintenance and care, nobody but you should be accountable for your choices.

Please don't feel bad, the cleaning should return you a wonderful razor again, and this time take good care of your Pils, she deserves it.

Last edited:
+1. I do not own a Pils but if it is a true stainless steel shaver, then the rust may be caused by the rusting blade which leaves some superficial rust on the razor, unless it is a major rusting issue like on this Weber DLC. If it is superficial rust, then it should wash right off with toothpaste / toothbrush or scrubbing bubbles / toothbrush. Also a picture of the said rusting would help!

It does seem to be superficial for the most part except a fine dot. I have not gotten after it with any abrasive as yet.

OP,
It's the blade rusting and not the Pils and will scrub right off. The reason this happens is that the head is so well made, that when closed, the surface is perfectly flat and water stays trapped in there. You can diminish, though possible not eliminate totally, this problem simply by loosening the head after each shave. This should allow the water to evaporate. I assume you're storing it straight up as well. If you alter the manner of storage so that it is at an angle AND loosen the head, then I think your problem is solved. This adds no more than 1 or 2 seconds to your daily routine.

Thanks for the suggestion. I will start doing this and see what happens.

I usually loosen the head a little and spray some alcohol on the razor, and haven't had a blade rust at all. I usually leave the blade in 5-7 days, depending on if I decide to skip a day shaving on my days off.

Holy cow.... turtle thanks for saving me a Ton of trouble. I thought stainless ment just that stainless as I am getting a feather as-d1 to my arsenal as that was the guiding decision on this razor.
BTW w/ all my razors I towel dry both razor and blade, w/ TTO's I leave open enough not to let the blade drop out. With my 3 pc razors I dry all pcs w/ blade and re-assemble will this hurt my blades/razors with this technique? If either situation will bring up problems down the line pls feel free to offer tips.

I understand its a little different with two or three piece razors.

Dismantle, quick wipe, and leave on a cloth to dry fully.
$Feather_pieces_600_3970.jpg
I put the blade on a hook on the wall, but leaving it on a cloth would be OK if no children are about.

I do this with the Feather AS-D1 as it also seems to have the same problem with transferred rust.

Last edited:
I have a rust mark on my iKon. Didn't think to try toothpaste as a mild abrasive to remove the spot. Will see how it goes. I also loosen the cap and leave it on its side on the tap landing and then hang it up when I get home after work.

Top Bottom