What's new

Just shaved using the "Tea Boiler" Method

Wow! I thought that I'd boil some water in the old tea maker, and man what a difference it made. I had lather shooting out everywhere lol. I popped the top off the Mama Bear Vetiver and started whipping it up. I was able to make a thick, rich, hydrated lather in about half the time it took me with tap water. Anyone that hasn't tried this yet needs to try it at least once! The feeling of the hot lather along with the Vetiver scent was very soothing. :biggrin:

Yup! :thumbup: My tap water isn't too hot to begin with (Around 120-125 degrees). I picked up a cordless electric kettle from target a while back after struggling to get decent lather... Made the biggest difference in the world. Has no problem heating my big thick heavy lather bowl up, makes for a SERIOUSLY steaming hot towel for my face, and best of all, as you've pointed out, makes the best lather EVER... :thumbup1:

hmm,

I'm thinking..
.buy some distilled water
.pour a little in a shave mug
.microwave it till it's boiling

Is this a sound plan?

Yup, that works fine too.. Just keep in mind that these "cordless kettles" can actually boil water faster then a microwave, and they're pretty cheap too. Mine can handle up to 1.7 liters of water and was $20 from Target.. They also have a smaller cheaper one for like $10-$12... For me, it's more conveinent to have a nice "kettle" (plastic insulated type kettle) there at my disposal always ready with some steaming hot water whenever I need it. The nice thing about the one I have is that you just fill it, set it on the base and flick the button. It boils the water and once it starts boiling automatically shuts itself off... I hit it just before jumping in the shower and don't think a thing more about it. ;)

icecow said:
hmm,

I'm thinking..
.buy some distilled water
.pour a little in a shave mug
.microwave it till it's boiling

Is this a sound plan?

Make sure you have something to aggitate the water or a surface for bubbles to form while you microwave the water. I am thinking a nice, porous mug instead of smooth china or a wood swizzle stick in it. The water can super-heat which means to be at or above boiling point but not boiling - as soon as the water is aggitate, it blows boiling water with some force which can burn you.

Also, you don't need boiling water - somewhat below boiling is fine. Boiling water on a badger brush can damage the hair.

Dennis

Yea, I guess I shouldn't have said boiler. I got the water to a pretty hot temp, but not really boiling as I do remember reading that it might damage the badger.

Is Badger boiled or roasted before eating ?
As for the hair, I poured some "almost" boiling water into a stainless steel container and dipped the brush in. Made a heck of a difference in the time that I took to whip up some serious frothy lather. Thanks for the tip crispy.

crispy said:
Yea, I guess I shouldn't have said boiler. I got the water to a pretty hot temp, but not really boiling as I do remember reading that it might damage the badger.
I suggest ensuring the water is less than 190F. (Which is quite hot and is the temp that processed badger hair bundles are typically sanitized (sterilized). Higher temps may (will) lead to hair damage. I always sanitize my razor for several (2 or 3 or more) minutes in the nuked water, followed by a pinkey dip test (is is too hot?) and then by brush immersion for 3 to 5 or more minutes while I prep my visage...
By the by, nere is a picture of the vessel I use for boiling, sanitizing, soaking, and lather buillding..
full

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom