What's new

Just shaved off my goatee .... now some trouble with weepers.

Hello Gentlemen .....

I just recently shaved off my neatly trimmed goatee/mustache, and am, unfortunately, getting some weepers
on my upper lip, chin, and sides of mouth. Happily, just very minor irritation in a few spots under my chin.
After each shave, I'm using an Osma alum block over the few bad spots, followed by my usual A/S splash and
balm. That seems to take care of things quite nicely. The rest of my face, cheeks, and neck (where I've always
shaved when my goatee/mustache was present) are, as usual, perfectly fine with absolutely no problems.
It's been five days now. So, ..... how long should I expect "this little problem" to last, and is there anything
else I should do to remedy the situation ?

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
That’s kind of odd, Adam. Maybe the blade/soap/razor combination is causing the issues? Are you introducing too many variables?

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
Nope, no other variables. I'm just thinking that the "fresh skin" where the goatee and mustache was,
hasn't been shaved in a very long time, and is "extra sensitive" for a little while.
Yup. Probably it. Maybe a ‘milder’ blade like Personna Red might help with the transition.

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
It sounds reasonable that the skin just might not be used to being shaved. Also, are you used to shaving it? In other words, do you have a routine for those seldom shaved areas like you do for the rest of your face and neck? If not, in time, you'll get one that'll help.

When I shaved off my goatee (after having it for 5 years) I discovered a few things.
#1. I forgot how to shave my chin. It was always problematic, but it took a solid month for me to relearn my facial expressions, stretching, angles, and direction of passes to get my chin shaved the way I expect without any nicks or weepers.
#2. Having more area, including harder to shave areas, really kicked up my technique and made for better shaves everywhere.
#3. As a daily shaver, I didn’t give my chin recovery time, which prolonged the awkward/difficult phase.
Good luck and hang in there.

For me, the mustache, chin, and corners of my mouth are the true proving grounds for wet-shaving. I have found (after extensive testing) that I personally need a milder razor and careful technique to get these areas close without redness, irritation or blood. You might want to let that goatee grow back, or be prepared to make some changes. Good luck!

Lots of ’changes’ in geometry in the goatee area!

I suggest you assure that you are doing some extra skin stretching and use an especially light touch.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Some excellent ideas above.

Maybe de-emphasize trying to shave your goatee area like the rest of your face. Keep things to one or two WTG passes for a couple of weeks and then carefully include your XTG and ATG passes.

I'm just thinking that the "fresh skin" where the goatee and mustache was,
hasn't been shaved in a very long time, and is "extra sensitive" for a little while.
That's exactly what I was thinking, Adam. When I began DE shaving I had some irritation and nicks. Of course that was largely due to zero technique . . . okay, I didn't know what the hell I was doing. I think it took about a month or so for the irritation to diminish and now I rarely have irritation, or nicks for that matter. I do get the occasional weeper when I'm careless, but that' operator error.

My hunch is you give it a little time and you'll be right as rain.

Keep things to one or two WTG passes for a couple of weeks and then carefully include your XTG and ATG passes.

This! In addition to letting the skin adapt with the time as was mentioned by others.

Especially ATG on the sensitive zones of the skin is prone to produce weepers. If the razor and blade combination is too aggressive there, I would only go WTG & XTG there for the time being or in general.

I expect you're a little out of practice after ignoring those areas for 5 years. You'll sort it out soon enough.

Hmm...It's been almost 50 years since I last was without beard and mustache. Now you've got me afraid to ditch the facial topiary.

Gentlemen ..... Thank you all so much for your wisdom, sage advice, and thoughtful replies.
This evening's shave ..... B & M Bay Rum face lathered with my Yaqi Sagrada Familia brush,
and smoothly shaved to a near BBS result with my Timeless Bronze razor and a Gillette Nacet.
Ahhhhh ..... nice and comfortable, with only a small weeper at the corner of my mouth. Much
better results with each passing day, and no noticeable irritation with tonight's shave. Hooray !

Top Bottom