What's new

Just sharing my short history with ink pens!

So I went to school in India and there, once we graduated to pens from pencils, we were only allowed fountain pens. We were never allowed to carry or use ballpoint pens. I never understood why even though I loved using my fountain pens anyway. Everyone used to call them ink pens, not many people called them fountain pens. I was always excited to reach the grade where we made the switch from pencils to ink pens because my dad was a big fan of pens. He had a huge box filled with pens from when he was a kid. He would never let me use his ink pens, and this made me want to use them even more!

I can't say for sure, but I think my first ink pen was a Hero. It was cheap, and so usually a good first pen. Most of my classmates usually also started out with Hero pens. There was just the one model available. Of course there were a few spoilt kids that started with a nice Parker haha. When I was growing up in India, the most expensive pen you could buy at a regular stationary store was a Parker. And again, they only had one model:

$parker-vector-fountain-pen-1-1.jpg
My parents did not think I needed a Parker and didn't want to "spoil me" so I had to wait for one of those! I did eventually get my dad to buy me a Parker not long after I started with ink pens anyway. I don't know if these pens had different kinds of nibs, but the first one I ever got wrote very thick and it was super smooth. I really loved how it wrote. There were days I had forgotten to fill ink into my pen, and borrowed a friend's Parker. Again, exactly the same model, but some of them wrote very thin and I hated those. So I don't know if these were just bad pens that wrote differently due to poor quality control, or if the nibs had different thicknesses on purpose. I still don't know haha. Over time I got a whole bunch of these Parkers. All mostly the same except for the color and design. My favorite Parker used to be the same ones as above, but a yellow with a red arrow on the cap and it had the Maggi logo on it. I have no idea where I got it from, but I know I used it for the longest time! Sill have it somewhere in my room in India. In fact I still have most of my Hero pens and other Parkers as well.

As far as ink goes, we were only allowed blue. No black or any other color. I can remember the most common ink there being Camel. I used that and then sometimes something called Chelpark or something. I don't know if you get those here, but they were pretty cheap in India back then. I absolutely LOVED the smell of ink! My favorite part of filling my pen each day was smelling the ink! I also had a little ink rag that I carried around with me in case of leakages and stuff. And my pens leaked a lot since I was a kid, running around with my pens in my bag, pocket etc. So there was a lot of spilled ink! I never really used ink cartridges. Those suckers were expensive. I must have used them maybe 5 times in my history with ink pens. It was always ink bottles for me. I hated filling my Hero pen because the filling system was quite inefficient in my opinion haha. It was this fixed steel tube with a rubbery transparent sack thing (don't know the official name) and then another steel presser thinger that you press to create a vaccum to suck the ink in. But of course, I'm sure you guys know exactly what I'm talking about haha. The Parkers had the more sensible plunger cartridge like thing. Push down, dip in ink, pull up plunger, done! So simple. So effective. I also particularly liked this because you could hold the pen upside down, and keep pushing the plunger to close the gap of the used ink. I use to do that every so often to make my ink flow more effective. Worked good for me!

And then later after I'd been using ink pens for a while, my dad gave me his Sheaffer that I'd always wanted! It looked exactly like this:
$444_plain_1_94_1.jpg
Except the body was a burgandy and not silver. The cap was identical to that picture though. I really liked how the nib looked and that made me very excited to use this pen! Also, it wrote thick and was super smooth. So that made it even better haha! I still have this Sheaffer at home too.

Eventually, we were allowed to use ballpens, and being the lazy kids we were, we stopped using ink pens altogether since ballpens were so convenient!

Every now and then I start to think about using ink pens again. And then thinking about the leaking ink makes me give up on the idea. Maybe if I found something that did not leak much. Also I don't think I would run around wildly with an ink pen in my pocket anymore haha so perhaps my fear of leaking ink pens is not warranted anymore. In either case, when I do something, I go all in and start to do a ton of research and what not. And I just got into DE razors so that hobby is taking up a lot of my time!

Maybe someday soon I'll get an ink pen. If only just to smell ink in a bottle again!

So thanks for reading my redundant story! Just felt like sharing. I'm off to bed now.

Night all!

Very nice story! I would recommend you to return to an "ink pen" indeed.

Around here, many children switch to ballpoint pens and fineliners too, after primary school. I also did, but returned to a fountain pen when I developed cramped handwriting in university.

Since then, I have stayed with "real pens" :wink2:

Great story, thank you for sharing...

BTW nibs do come in different writing sizes, Fine (Which writes a thin line) Medium (A little thicker) and Broad (Which write a very thick line) of course there are many many sizes out there. You should certainly look to buy another fountain pen, maybe in a medium or broad pen, unless its a japanese pen then make it a broad as they tend to run thinner then western made nibs from germany or america

great post, and welcome to the nib

Cheers guys!

I have been toying with the idea of picking up a fountain pen. But I would instead really like to grab one of my old pens I used for school the next time I visit India. I believe those pens are still doing great and write just how I like em! But that may be a long time away.

By the way, Phil1-6, I went to that link http://badgerandblade.com/vb/member.php/41344-Phil1-6http://www.fountainpenrevolution.com/ just to look around, and found an explanation as to why were were only allowed ink pens and not ballpoints in school for the longest time. It says:

"Gandhi began to teach that “bad handwriting is a sign of imperfect education.” With this the man who won India its freedom also instilled in her people a passion for proper penmanship and consequently the use of fountain pens. Indian schools began to require the use of fountain pens to promote proper handwriting."

Nice to know exactly why, although I had a hunch that this would be it. Interesting! My handwriting isn't bad, but I do tend to write extremely fast which does not allow for it to be as neat and defined as it could be. Unfortunately, school is also the reason for why I write extremely fast! Our examinations required us to write pages upon pages of stuff. A lot of the time, our teachers would barely read what we wrote. They would score our papers solely based on how much we wrote regardless if it made sense or not! We had a time limit of two hours on our examinations, and I used to generally be the one that wrote the most in my grade. I had pages upon pages tied together with little strings that they used to distribute to people that used extra paper. And I was always one of them haha. And we had these examinations a couple of times per term. Practice ones etc. Not to mention, a lot of my teachers used to force us to just write down every word they said in class as "notes". And they would drone on for an entire hour. So we had to write fast to keep up. They were always annoyed when someone stopped them and asked to repeat what was just said. So yeah haha speed was key! Needless to say, I went through a LOT of ink!

It is odd hearing stories of other countries and their education. In school we started off primarily with pencils and went to ball points like the bic disposables. I did not hear about or see fountain or calligraphy pens until I was into high school. Since here in the states at least when I was going to school we had to get our own school supplies we always ended up with whatever could be found around the house. Mostly bics and the occasional promotional pen from somewhere or another.

I think fountain pens and ink would have been a bad idea as kids. Too many chances for accidental spills and well let's face it the not so accidental spills.

you can get those Sheaffer nos for about $40.
its one of my favorite pens right now.

The hero's are pretty nice as well once you get them working right.

I think fountain pens and ink would have been a bad idea as kids. Too many chances for accidental spills and well let's face it the not so accidental spills.

Kids here use a cartridge pen in school (the Lamy ABC, Bruynzeel, and Schneider pens are often used), so changing ink is just as clean as with a ballpoint pen. In many primary schools, use of a fountain pen is mandatory (also for lefties).

The Bruynzeel pen (Dutch brand, probably made in China):

proxy.php

When I was in school, we used a Pelikan Pelikano.

Cheers guys!

Strangely enough, none of my friends, nor I have had any major ink bottle incidents. If someone dropped an ink bottle and spilled ink everywhere, we would definitely hear about it the next day haha. We were all generally very careful in that sense. The only time we had issues with ink leaking would be when we had pens in our pocket and went to PE class and ran around with them. Even then, the problem only showed itself when we were back in class and it was time to write something and we took off the caps.

The hero's are pretty nice as well once you get them working right.

The main gripe we had about our hero pens were that a lot of the time the nibs would be off center!

Top Bottom