What's new

Just Sell the Handles!

That really is a shame, I've had my eye out for one of those red/butterscotch Made-Rite's for a little while. Guess I'll keep looking, at those prices its not worth trying to undo what has been done.

How does one avoid that epoxy over the top? I'm in the process of making my own handle, and this is one of the things I'm not sure how to do...

wouldn't all that resin impede the drying process of the brush, causing the knot to rot prematurely? to me that looks terrible, IMHO I definitely wouldn't call that restored!

Last edited:
How does one avoid that epoxy over the top? I'm in the process of making my own handle, and this is one of the things I'm not sure how to do...

Use just a tiny amount. If you think you have just enough take about half of it away and you should be fine.
I remember a thread in which a member suggested practicing with hand cleaner to judge the correct amount.

I did have one knot that did become loose because I had not used enough; I simply re-glued it and it has been fine for months.

Use just a tiny amount. If you think you have just enough take about half of it away and you should be fine.
I remember a thread in which a member suggested practicing with hand cleaner to judge the correct amount.

I did have one knot that did become loose because I had not used enough; I simply re-glued it and it has been fine for months.

Exactly right. If your knot is sitting on a "shelf" of some kind, you're going to be shoving the plug right up against the shelf leaving little room for adhesive in between. Anything except a very small amount will squirt out around the plug and be of no use. I totally agree with the advice above; you can always re-glue it if it comes loose, but that is very unlikely if you are using epoxy. The other option is to use an asinine amount that squirts out the top, leaving the handle permanently ruined.

I put masking tape around the handle then cut out the hole with a razor knife. This keeps the epoxy from getting on the handle while you are setting the knot.

A thin layer of epoxy all around the inside and on the bottom and sides of the knot base is all that is needed.

I found that those long plastic coffee stir sticks that are at some fast food places are perfect for spreading the epoxy evenly inside the handle hole

proxy.php

Oh, that's a great idea--especially for my first time. It's a lot easier to wipe out excess Purell than to have to sand off extra epoxy.

I put masking tape around the handle then cut out the hole with a razor knife. This keeps the epoxy from getting on the handle while you are setting the knot.

That, too, is a great idea. Thanks guys!

A thin layer of epoxy all around the inside and on the bottom and sides of the knot base is all that is needed.

I appreciate that there are multiple ways to reach the end goal, but do you find it necessary to put epoxy on all of those surfaces? My experience with 10+ restores is that you're just asking to get epoxy where you don't want it. Most of my knots sit on a "shelf" with extra space on the sides inside the handle (hopefully that makes sense), so literally the only contact surface is the bottom of the knot base. For mine, it seems pointless to "spread" epoxy anywhere; I just drop one or two drops of mixed epoxy on the shelf and shove the knot in.

This is just my process. Most of you have been doing this longer than me. I would just go back to cautioning anyone doing their first one to only put epoxy where you really need it.

I definitely agree with keeping everything covered with tape while you are working.

WOW! The Burgandy/Butterscotch sold for $36 Look here

Well, the brush is still usable. It just doesn't look good.

I have only done one restore so far and I find a little epoxy goes a long way. I scuffed the base of the knot with sandpaper and put a thin layer inside the hole. I did get a tiny amount of epoxy come up by capillary action but it is barely noticeable.

proxy.php

OMG, look at the poor, poor hack-job that he currently has up for sale: $$T2eC16Z,!zUE9s38+F9nBQ+,MC,KHw~~60_57.jpg &$$(KGrHqR,!gwFC+lEvJGpBQ+,MGyB,g~~60_57.jpg
I am just at a loss for words... its so sad. :crying:

I don't know why I keep clicking into this thread. So much bad news. :sad:
I always thought the hardest part of my restores was getting the old knot out and from there it's easy. Apparently not judging by these pics.

Top Bottom