What's new

Just saying Hi!

Good day all!

I'm Adrian, a fairly new wetshaver from Edmonton, AB in Canada. If there's one good thing that happened to me (and maybe a few others) during this pandemic, it's getting too much free time to learn about wetshaving. Got bit by the bug hard and am definitely in this for life. Started with a 6S, that has since been given to my sister as she's been using the same disposable cartridge for half a year. Yikes! Did not know it at the time but it turns out the 6S is one of the milder, most user friendly DE razors on the market and masked my poor technique. Next got an Ambassador for no other reason as it looked kind of cool to me. Lol. But was not prepared for its harshness compared to the 6S (again, not the Rex's fault). After getting discouraged by the Ambassador, I looked for razors with similar smoothness to the 6S and found out about Karve. Got one in brass with SB A, B and C plates and I love it and has been my go to for a long while. Still occasionally used the Ambassador now and then for practice and now find it a pleasant, smooth shaver. Just needed to keep at it. That and found out the dial can be turned Below setting 1! The Ambassador is set at what I estimate to be 0.8 on the dial and is SMOOTH to me now, and still with BBS results. Anyway, going back to Karve, Been using the B plate mostly as I try to shave every two days. Love the thing and thanks to this forum, found out to force a patina on it using a brass ager solution. Certain parts were then polished so it now has this two-tone, wabi-sabi look. Also doesn't hurt that Karve is right in Edmonton and I can just drop by the shop and not have to deal with shipping delays. That and it was nice to meet Chris. Great guy! A real gentleman. Looking forward to getting a copper razor from him soon. Then, got curious about shaving with an open blade. Found the shavettes to appeal to me more than SRs (did not want to deal with the maintenance of an SR) and got a Feather AC SS kami. Again, loved the results and am inclined to it now. Also got the brother-in-law interested in wetshaving and the Karve is on loan to him now while I learn more with this SS. Had my first unfortunate incident with the SS w/ Pro blades a couple days ago and unfortunately cut my upper lip as I was trying to shave across the grain on the moustache are with the SS. Lesson learned and realized I need to know more about skin stretching and facial contortions. And really, looking back, an across the grain stroke may not be necessary with the moustache area... WTG followed by ATG should be good. XTG seems too risky of a cut happening. Anyway, just got an AC DX kami and am learning it now. It's been great so far I like the pressure-less shaving experience with it compared to the SS where you have to apply a little pressure due to the lip (but just have a little stiction issue with the DX though). May have to mix up a wetter lather. I also find just pre-shave oil and going SLOWLY to produce great results. Just using oil appeals to me as I can see my hairs clearly vs using actual lather. Currently researching shavettes with a granton edge/fluid channels in case the stiction issue with the DX doesn't work out. It's been a nice journey so far.=) Wetshaving has been great but if there's one thing to complain on, it's that I was told wetshaving will save you money! LOL. And it's not the razor purchases that you have to be careful of, it's the soaps! Before you know it, you've spent more on soaps than on razors.

Anyway, I think this has gone on long enough. Just wanted to say hi to you all! Thank you for the knowledge you all share. Hope you're all having a good day and are in good health. And take care!

Best regards,
-Adrian

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Hello. Great story. I’m a karve fan too. Now I can call you to drop in personally and check on the status of my order. Lol. (Jk but they can take awhile) happy shaves!

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Welcome to the forum from Australia Adrian, and thanks for checking in with us and sharing your thoughts.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I kinda did this I cut my cable and am using that for a special brush I've been saving up for. I will post the beauty as soon as it "Rises" you'll know what I mean later ;)
THIS, Gentlefolk, is the epitome of commitment....

Cutting the cord to afford more shavin' goods!

Commitment: is he committed to a superior shave, or should he be "committed?"

There is a fine line, folks....

If I had to choose between "The Hallmark Channel" or a close shave.....well, I might be like the mule that starved to death standing between a bale a hay and a bail of straw...

THIS, Gentlefolk, is the epitome of commitment....

Cutting the cord to afford more shavin' goods!

Commitment: is he committed to a superior shave, or should he be "committed?"

There is a fine line, folks....

If I had to choose between "The Hallmark Channel" or a close shave.....well, I might be like the mule that starved to death standing between a bale a hay and a bail of straw...
check the unboxing thread bro The phoenix has risen, very much so worth it

Top Bottom